The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » KidBiz - David Ginn (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
totally agree dennis, some things work for other people and some things don't.

ken
DRPEPPER
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of DRPEPPER
I have disagree with most you on older book have some best material that works well and play good better then some new material ever dick harry useing i think i stick old stuff
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
As an aside from someone who likes Kidbiz, I just want to suggest that we make sure our dislike for his patter suggestions does NOT allow us to overlook several great routines hidden in the book. One in particular is "Card on Back". Classic scenario, done cheaply and easily with a pack of cards. If we can't take this skeleton routine and make it play with our own bits of business, then something else is wrong, I think. And what an excellent routine to have when we suddenly need 10 extra minutes.

Also look at Eddie the Monkey. The toy is well-known today, but the principal can be easily applied to other props, and gets great response.

As Ginn always says, "Adapt or adopt, but make it your OWN."
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I've never heard of Eddie the monkey, but I will borrow the book off of Billy and give the routine the once over maybe If I like the idea I can play with it to see if I can adapt it to suit me, or use the princible in another effect. unfortunate I can't say the same for card on back as I never do card tricks for children, not even with picture cards.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Eddie the Monkey is the Monkey toy that bangs symbols, and make funny faces. It's an antique and sells for $200-400 dollars if you can find one. I know I saw one on the internet some where.

There are also many variations of the "on the back" gag, such as Super Frog, and that is a play off of another trick.
Dennis Michael
JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
I have super frog, its really good! Lots of laughter in my routine...Josh!
If a magician is not intending to "trick" a spectator, why is every "trick" called a magic "trick"?
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I've seen the toy, I'll look at the routine, nut as for the on the back trick, I tried one once called cheeky charlie, where a monkey picture ended up on the back of the child, unfortunately I decided it wasn't any good as it didn't suit my style of performing, when I turned round and revealed the picture on my back , (this is after it had been on the helpers back,) one child leapt up from the front row and ripped the picture off my back to show it to me. As the kids were sat only 3ft from me I didn't have chance to stop him. it wouldn't have been to bad if he hadn't run away with the picture, by the time i got it back it was a bit battered.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
There are a lot of "something" on the back routines...my point here is that David is offering a method that works, can be adapted to other items (re: his silk on back), and doesn't cost $20 (super frog being an example). Just making the comment that sometimes our dislike for the overall structure or contents of a book blinds us to the odd routine that can be, to some of us, gold.

BTW, I remember shopping all over Central Florida for the Monkey back in the '80's (the kids loved it!). Nearly every place was sold out. I should have bought many when I finally found them (at Sears, of all places). Problem was (is), they didn't last long...pretty cheaply made.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
The environment I mainly work work in is small sitting rooms with the kids sat on the floor quite close to me so when I put together a new routine or look for a new trick all the angle and proximity problems have to be addressed, I found that on the back tricks were not really idea in that situation. but your point is correct,

I'm always willing to admit when I'm wrong. even though I may not like the book in general there is a saying that if you get just one workable idea or routine from a book it's worth the money. You don't have to use the tricks/ routines or like in the book, but you can use a method from the book to come up with a new trick/routine.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
I must say that I will use card tricks for Kids 5+ but I do have some criteria .... the trick must not rely on the kids understanding cards! for example, I use cards across with the traveling cards having a different back colour, I would use a signed card to location effect. indeed I did use the excellent "wonder filled card in balloon" from Kidbiz (with several differences of my own) the only reason I stopped using it was the occasional unreiability of the card in balloon stand that sometimes fails to grip the card tight enough hense no card in balloon!
Actualy I noticed that bazar de magia had a card in balloon that works on a different principle so I am thinking of purchasing this in Blackpool and putting the trick back in the act. I always use a blank deck for the card in balloon the child drawing or signing the card and returning it to the blanks. as it is the only card with any thing on it is easy for the kids to see.
Phillip
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
On 2003-01-26 05:22, p.b.jones wrote:
I always use a blank deck for the card in balloon the child drawing or signing the card and returning it to the blanks. as it is the only card with any thing on it is easy for the kids to see.
Phillip
[/quote]

What a great idea, Phillip! I don't remember hearing about this before, but it is very much common sense Smile
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi Vilago,
From a busy working veiw point it has other advantages too. when the deck is starting to go a bit thin (as you use one per show)you can just put a few more in with out having to worry about what cards where missing,
also it is not so imprtant that there are 52.
It is a bit more costly as dealers charge a premium for blank face cards but it is only a few pence per show.
Phillip Smile
jonathandupree
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of jonathandupree
I have gotten a ton from David Ginn's material. Sure you have to make it yours, but come on, if you can't take that material and learn something, and I am not talking about a trick or routine scripted out for you, but about entertaining children, something is wrong.

I think the biggest problem is that many people today want to be spoon fed their magic. The book or video that is going to give them the routines and they aren't gonna have to work or think through. Take the material and make it yours.

But I have learned a tremendous amount from Kidbiz as well as Pro. Magic for children, but I have made my own routines. It has given me the most important thing a book can, ideas.
JimbosMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of JimbosMagic
I have to say I have known David Ginn for many years when Edwin Hooper introduced him to me at a convention.
I agree some of Davids stuff is dated but as he says you can addapt it for your own style.
I have had some good insperations from his books and DVDs and then adapted them to my style.
My thinking on any book or DVD is, that if I get one thing from it that I can use in some way then that purchase was worth it and I have gained a bit more knowledge.
JIMMY CARLO. KIDabra International Family Entertainer of the Year 2009.
IBM Triple Award Winner. Uk Champion of Comedy Magic.
Represented the UK in the United Slapstick Awards on German TV.
European Children's Entertainer of the year 2007/8
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1217 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Yes, I read Ginn in my 20s and think he greatest contribution to my own magic was helping understand the psychology of performing for children. As others have said here, he was the only one writing about such things at the time.

Marc
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
I have to admit that I initially written off this book. When I actually started performing and doing shows and worked on putting my show together that is when I saw value in this book.

I simply didn't get it at the time. Now there are several things taken from this book that has enhance my show and increased my interactions per minute as well as generated positive feedback from clients.

I think its a matter of maturing and understanding performing in general. I would be hard pressed to find a seasoned performer saying that there is nothing to be gained from this book, unless they are already doing the stufff mentioned.
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » KidBiz - David Ginn (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL