The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » School teachers and magic clubs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mengst
View Profile
New user
Northern CA
74 Posts

Profile of mengst
Hello! I am a teacher and a magic hobbyist. I am interested to know if there are any teachers who sponser a magic club for the students at their school. I'm thinking about how I would do it, and I've come to realize I am clueless. It would probably be geared toward middle school students (we have grades 6-12). If you do something like this, here are a couple of questions I have:
1. How/What do you teach?
2. How do you keep from having it turn into a "learn how magicians do it" club?
3. How do you use it as an opportunity to build confidence and inspire creativity?
4. How do you keep it entertaining and educational?

Thanks!
Mike Engstrom
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
Mike,

This might be a bit different because I'm working in South Korea, but our school has a magic club. I'm not involved with it -- instead, a local magician basically comes in and the students in the club work with him to develop magic skills, and when the variety show happens every year each one does a small performance for it.

The tricks that they do are mostly gimmicked stuff that's meant for stage. In terms of creativity (with regards to the effects themselves), there's not much there, but their presentation skills actually aren't bad.

The kids are pretty disciplined about magic as well. They're not showing off their stuff in the hallways or anything like that.

They meet once a week.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
mengst
View Profile
New user
Northern CA
74 Posts

Profile of mengst
That sounds great! Thanks for the info!

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » School teachers and magic clubs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL