The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Jim Steinmeyer's Lightbulb Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

Profile of collective foundry
natmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
301 Posts

Profile of natmagic
Jim had some tricks with lightbulbs in Magic magazine a while back. Well worth checking out.
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Hmm, it only plays 3 seconds for me.

Fixed it! If it does the same to anyone else, use IE.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
The video is pretty dark and hard to see, which is kind of ironic for a lightbulb trick
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

This illusion really does not do anything for me. Am I alone here ?
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I think it's the whole "behind the glass" thing. I thought how nice it would be if you could actually see everything.

Of course, it's probably better live... or not...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
I thought over all was nice.... The aud. loved it the second and third time around...
Moth
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Moth
It's not deeply mysterious, but it doesn't seem to be meant to be - it's fun with a suprising twist at the end. I agree that the glass seems to add a bit of fuss and bother, (and maybe asks a question that shouldn't be asked) but I enjoyed it!

Thanks for posting, Ryan.
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
I respect Jims work but this trick did nadda for me
JoyJoy
View Profile
Special user
Germany
514 Posts

Profile of JoyJoy
Quote:
On 2007-04-21 09:39, reedrc wrote:
This illusion really does not do anything for me. Am I alone here ?

No you are not alone. Same for me.
I think the illusion could be amazing, but it´s really badly presented and like that it is nothing!

Jim always want to keep his illusions professional by only allowing his own one or two builders take care of the construction. Giving nobody else the license should garantee the good quality for his illusions and his clients. He is a great mind - no question. Well this video shows, that he should stay with creating only and not performing. Quality and a good reputation of illusions is reached differently. That illusion in the hands of a good performer could blow the people away.
Mattillusion
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Mattillusion
Jim is a genius inventor and a terrific writer. It takes several viewings to appreciate what he's going for in this routine (which I'm sure he didn't intend to be posted on YouTube!) It's a good plot that's hurt by poor-quality video. Any chance to see him perform...a rarity...is a good one.
Illusion77
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of Illusion77
I saw Jim perform this live - and, trust me, the audience was blown away. While he is not a professional performer, he held the audience in the palm of his hand.
Lance Richardson
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Lance Richardson
You need to look at it as if Jim was a professor instructing his class. All the fluff was not there but you got message.

Lance
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

Can someone tell us exactly whats SUPPOSED to happen. The ending - I did not quite get from the video . .
Moth
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Moth
The paper ball is in the bulb (at the end)

SO:

1) bulb flies into bag
2) bulb fails at flying into bag - stays lit
3) bulb flies into bag - goes out
4) change sides - bulb fails at flying into bag
5) crumple and toss bag - bag appears uncrumpled covering bulb which has just gone out
6) recover the bag; tear it - crumple it - toss it
7) bulb goes out and crumpled bag is inside bulb.

After seeing it again - I still find it entertaining with a nice build. The second half in particular.
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

Ok. that's pretty cool Simple backlight and better looking apparatus. Could be a VERY cool piece...
Knowing video - this probably looked STELLAR live.
Moth
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Moth
Yep - if you squint you can see how great the timing is at the end (with the paper ball) and it's really nice.

This is one of those sequences that's clearly meant to be not very magical up top (he even gives part of it away) so that it can be doubly neat at the end. Kind of Jarrett-ish.

Anyone know whose it is? Is it Jim's?
Lance Richardson
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Lance Richardson
If I was doing the art direction for this I would make it look like a cool contemporary lamp and the tinted plexi would be the square lamp shade.

Lance
dfield
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of dfield
Does anybody know the issue where Jim had his ideas with lightbulbs printed? Was it Genii or Magic?
Craig Dickens
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickens
I built this prop for Jim. It is his concept and design. Unfortunately the video shot at the Castle was lit for stage not video. In person you can clearly see the bulb lit or unlit and it vanishes or changes without cover before your very eyes. It was the talk of the Castle that week and magicians and their guests loved it. Mark Kalin is getting the first one and I am talking to 4 others about it. When Jim first talked to me about it, I wondered how he would rationalize the glass frame. Making it minimal and like a clear blackboard helped. However, when it went before the public, I realized my concern was wrong. It is like watching television. You focus beyond the frame and it becomes insignificant. Listen to the audience reaction. This effect is a winner. Regarding the post on Jim's performance. The booking was John Gaughn doing Houdins' Antonio, Mike Caveney doing Carters Million Dollar Mystery and Jim opening with the light bulb then closing with Find the Lady. It was all about Magic history and with-in that framework Jim's simple low-key approach worked great.
e-mail at:magicaldickens@aol.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Jim Steinmeyer's Lightbulb Illusion (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL