We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » No ID (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Josh Zandman
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of Josh Zandman
Thanks Jerome and you were correct with your description. You did leave some stuff out and I'm glad you did because otherwise everyone would try to reverse engineer the method. I would love to try your effect you did for Paolo! Sounds awesome!

NO ID (this is only available to my list and only until Wed midnight). This will be included in my book, I just wanted some people to get a peek at it.

Effect:

Participant cuts her selected card into the middle of the deck which is held by the participant. You then tell her to only think of her card. In her mind she is to take this card out from the deck and in her mind she is to reverse it and put it back into the middle of the deck. You then ask her to see how succesfull she was by telling her to spread through the cards. She will find her selected card now turned face up in the deck.

That is a true description. I wont say more because then I might as well just give it away Smile

JZ
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4934 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I have to say that Josh sent me this for reiview and I liked it.
I thought that is was a preview from his book.

I thought I had seen this somewhere before and I am still looking for the source.

I want to say I am a little disappointed in Josh's rush to publish. In my opinion this is not worth $10. I am sorry if this causes any hard feelings but since my review is above I have say this.

There are many small booklets that give you more routines than this.

When Josh sent me this with a request to review it, he said it would be in his book. I did not know it would be a single trick.

James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
churken
View Profile
Regular user
California
199 Posts

Profile of churken
I will have to try this out on a lay audience. It seems like it will work fine. In fact, it seems like it could knock their socks off. But I agree with Andini.

I too was somewhat disappointed as I thought the spectator could simply think of any random card. That is not the case. I can't make a specific complaint as I don't want to give away the method.

That said, it is very clever thinking, and some guys are going to love this. I just wasn't one of them. Unfortunately, I probably won't use this more than just trying it out a couple of times because of the method. I will stick to Michael Close's method of using a regular deck to do the Invisible Deck routine.

Generally I like Mr. Zandman's material and I look forward to exploring it more. This particular item just didn't live up to the description for me.

Paul
Tarbell Magic
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

Profile of Tarbell Magic
I'm a fan of Josh's work so far - I think IBT, UNO and Back To The Future are excellent, but I'm less enthused by NO ID.

Having said that, I haven't actually tried NO ID out yet(!), though having said that(!!), a similar though more involved effect, with a superb presentational twist, was recently published elsewhere.

I'm certainly looking forward to JZ's book (and the serial number divination Reserved!)
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Aside:
IMHO - Mentalism is a special way to do magic... and what many refer to ask "magic" is conjuring... another way to do magic.... yeah, OK this belongs on another thread.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
I'm a fan also of Josh's work...

I read the manuscript and I was pretty disappointed as well. I agree with James and I think this has been published before. I feel that Josh did rush to publish this effect too early. I have an effect that I'm going to produce with Jeff Pierce magic. WE have spent countless hours researching and talking to the magic experts like Ted K, Michael Weber, etc...

Generally I also like Mr. Zandman's material and I look forward to more of it like IBT. This item just didn't live up to the description for me also.

Thanks
Frank
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Ok,
I'm beginning to feel HORRIBLE about this.

Please, those who have NOT already purchased "NO ID", please, please do NOT allow my description of the effect to persuade you, but Josh's description, only.

If there is anyone who bought the effect based on MY description and is not happy with it, PM me, and I will personally give you ten dollars back! Promised!

If anyone has parted with their money because of MY description, and they feel it is in error, let ME make it right. PM me, and I will do so.

Best,
Jerome Finley.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4934 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Actually, Josh should give the money back to all the buyers.

We were told that this would be in Josh's book. I told Josh I had seen it before.
I think that Josh should send NOID to Max Maven and see if this has already been published.

If you look in the Scarne card trick book, there is a version where the specs card and your card both turn over. Borrowed deck, totally impromptu. They insert their card into the deck.

I'll be glad to tell everyone what page for $10, my Paypal is.... errrr, Sorry.

James
Josh Zandman
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of Josh Zandman
Wow James, it's good to finally meet you.

Sorry everyone that it wasn't something you really wanted! Just to be fair, I have received many emails praising this effect. I absolutely love it and I wanted to share it with all of you. I guess I can't please everybody Smile You guys still rock!

Into the rabbit hole I go ... Check this out ...

JZ
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Seems to me that some of what was posted here should not have been. Some should have been in PM between the poster and Josh, some should heve been kept private to the poster.

I've read the routine. It is a very nice card effect, and Josh has routined it very well. It was released at a reasonable price, $10 is 2/3rds the price it would sell for in a magic shop. I know, I've paid far more for far less. The only question is, does it live up to Josh's ad copy?
Quote:
Here is what I love about this effect: The performer hardly even touches the cards. All the work is done by the participant and in their hands. Plus they are the ones who find their card in the deck reversed, not the performer. You can perform this anywhere at anytime and the reactions you will get are amazing. I can humbly say this is becoming my favorite walk around effect to perform. I now carry a deck of cards around with me and I don't even like card tricks.

Quote:
Participant cuts her selected card into the middle of the deck which is held by the participant. You then tell her to only think of her card. In her mind she is to take this card out from the deck and in her mind she is to reverse it and put it back into the middle of the deck. You then ask her to see how succesfull she was by telling her to spread through the cards. She will find her selected card now turned face up in the deck.

Yes, it does exactly as advertised.

What other's have said here is outside Josh's control!

He posted the first part of the above quoted material, and when others posted comments on a different person's effect that caused confusion, he came online and posted the second part to further describe the effect.

In short, Josh put out a low cost effect and provided an accurate description and when there was confusion, he attempted to clearify it with a more indepth description.

Tony
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Tony,
I agree. Josh knows that he and I are cool. My only concern is that I was told the effect was part of his book. I did not know that 2 days later he was planning to sell it as a 1 page PDF file for 10 bucks.

I felt my description of the effect was accurate. If there was someone who didn't, and purchased this based on my description - I'm happy to make things right personally and I know that Josh is to.

Enough said,
Jerome.
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1024 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Personally, I like this effect a lot. Josh's description of what occurs is spot on. I don't care to debate whether or not this should be considered mentalism. I think it will get great reactions. I think I'll try it out on my boss in the morning and some friends at lunch. Will keep you posted!

See ya!
Joe L.
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
The reactions ARE great! That much cannot be disputed.

Peace,
J.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I will state this now that it has been brought up.I agree with Tony Eye that a PM to a fine fellow like Josh is the way to go.

That is precisely what I did last night.

I told Josh that I have been performing an effect with a similar result for years.He heard my method,and said his was different.

That is fine by me..Josh is a very clever guy so I am not surprised if he came up with a unique handling.

What I do object to is these one trick ponies that seem to be popping up lately in the $10.00 range....for a quick download.

I have never been disappointed with Josh's materials,however I think he was stretching a bit here.

I can only speak for myself,but I am more receptive to creators who give freebies to their regular customer's as an incentive to purchase in the future.[I usually remember generosity]

I 'think' Josh has done this generosity incentive before....that is why this startled me slightly.

Rich
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4934 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Quote:
On 2007-04-24 21:57, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Seems to me that some of what was posted here should not have been. Some should have been in PM between the poster and Josh, some should heve been kept private to the poster.

I've read the routine. It is a very nice card effect, and Josh has routined it very well. It was released at a reasonable price, $10 is 2/3rds the price it would sell for in a magic shop. I know, I've paid far more for far less. The only question is, does it live up to Josh's ad copy?
Quote:
Here is what I love about this effect: The performer hardly even touches the cards. All the work is done by the participant and in their hands. Plus they are the ones who find their card in the deck reversed, not the performer. You can perform this anywhere at anytime and the reactions you will get are amazing. I can humbly say this is becoming my favorite walk around effect to perform. I now carry a deck of cards around with me and I don't even like card tricks.

Quote:

Yes, it does exactly as advertised.

What other's have said here is outside Josh's control!

He posted the first part of the above quoted material, and when others posted comments on a different person's effect that caused confusion, he came online and posted the second part to further describe the effect.

In short, Josh put out a low cost effect and provided an accurate description and when there was confusion, he attempted to clearify it with a more indepth description.

Tony

The reason I posted my review retraction is, like Jerome, I was told this was part of a book. I thought, "Hey great, Josh will put out a book and I will buy it." Then his email for $10 was little shocking.

Josh says he doesn't do card magic and I think if he did, he would know that there are many card tricks like this. They come in books with lots of card tricks.

I think Josh has a creative mind and I hope he continues putting out magic. I would like to be advised if something is going to be marketed when asked to give a review.

It's nothing personal, although it seems Josh is taking it that way by insinuating that my personality is different now.
James
Mental_Mike
View Profile
Special user
Canada
726 Posts

Profile of Mental_Mike
I also got the manuscript. At first I thought it was little expensive but when I tried the effect out, it floored the person I did it to because it was in her hands. Some people probably don't like it because the method is so simple but you have to imagine what a layperson would think, so try it out.

I know I got my $10 worth and I will use it. This is the first time I have read any of Josh's material and although I was kind of dissapointed at first glance, It turned out to be a pretty good effect.

I'm looking forward to your book, Josh!

Mike
Mariagi
View Profile
Special user
MIND, MYTH & MAGICK
654 Posts

Profile of Mariagi
Well put xiqual

if other people like this effect because they don't know it has been done to death and better by other magicians that do not mean this effect is new or worthwhile of publication:it just reflect their lack of knowledge of the art
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Having phoned Josh for the first time last week I knew about this presentation.
I told him I had a presentation using the same sort of idea.

However it is nothing like his.

Personally I am enjoying the shift in mentalism or at least the perception of what is the true trick or gaff that makes the effect possible.
You see magicians may have done similar things they may do it better (whatever that means) but they missed the greater presentation possible in my opinion.

They did not nor do they go far enough.
They stop at the trick.
They don't use the all tools that are available.
(Nothing wrong with that it is just a differnce in performance styles).

I have made this very clear on other occasions and that is that the presentation is at least 95% of the deal.
Magicians work it the other way around.

Josh, has a very good premise here and a way to accomplish it.

Of course this is my perspective and I create presentations and realize that many do not.
That is brought up to offer the following suggestion to Josh.

It would probably serve you well to give a more in depth script and also include the perspective of the spectator and what they perceive/remember.

I read it and saw in my mind just how it will play out but we all have our different abilities and this would probably help some of those receiving this greatly to know what the spectators perceives and remembers.
Personally it looked like a five to seven minute interactive event to me.

I guess the effect pretty much makes what the audience should remember clear.
But I have found that those who have purchased my work like and use the extra content for it enables them to apply the concepts to other presentation or to create their own things based upon those principals.

Sorry for the length of this but I wanted make clear that just because a magician can do it or do it better as a trick does not make it better.

In fact I would say that if I did this effect and a magician did one effect for the same audience that people would walk away talking about this presentation.
I say that because the premise and presentation is what makes this of value.
(And I am pretty good at some of this stuff)

Let me add one last thing I did not pay for this and I do use a similar principal for another effect and chances are if most saw it would never realize the similarity.
So going in I knew the efficacy of the method coupled with a strong premise presentation.

I am not sure what this should be priced at but if it had the added content mentioned above I would think it a good buy at the price stated in other posts.
Just because I know others find it of value.

My opinion is that it is worth ten if you use it.
If not it is not.

Heck I guess I have paid far more for things I use and they make me money.

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Mariagi
View Profile
Special user
MIND, MYTH & MAGICK
654 Posts

Profile of Mariagi
Quote:
On 2007-04-25 15:39, Jim-Callahan wrote:

Josh, has a very good premise here and a way to accomplish it.
Agreed but he is not the first one to have the idea of a no ID so even if this was the best thing in the world is not "his" idea.

Back to the future had a terrific premise but the real effect and method was far removed from mr.Zandaman stretch of the "truth"

Quote:
Heck I guess I have paid far more for things I use and they make me money.

Jim
maybe so but this is a paintbrush overstatement leading more to some snake oil selling than to a universal FACT: I could easily reply that I paid things less than $10 and they make me money;and anything in between:

its bright as a sunny day to me [and hope to other people reading this] you are clearly well intentioned to help mr.zandman in his projects and that is very good but not when other people have to pay some $ for his own ego boost
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
If you wish to cut and pate my post to make your point that is one thing but if you do so I request you offer your own proof.

After all I make it clear I did not pay for it and I offer my opinion.

You say it is not his so please offer up the proof.
(Name and were published)

Any one on this forum knows who and what I am.

However you have the advantage on me for acording to your profile you are nothing but an opinion devoid of any substance.
(Only refering to you profile here)
That is fine by me but at least I offer proof and a track record to back it up.

Please offer the same if you desire to attack me.

-Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » No ID (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL