The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » One coin vanish using pull and plastic clip (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
I was working with a magician last night and he was using an elastic pull up his sleeve tied to a small plastic device that clips and holds one coin (a quarter). The coin is inserted into the plastic clip and vanishes up the sleeve. It is very deceptive. Anyone know of where I can get one of these plastic clips? I've searched and have come up with nothing. The guy said he bought it a long time ago at an obscure brick and mortar shop. I don't know how common these devices are.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
'Scalled a "coin pull" AFAIK, and they're not that uncommon I don't think. I daresay most dealers will have them but they may not be advertised as a "coin pull". Call one up and ask is what I'd do. Great effect, BTW!
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hereya go Dave, try this...Smile

http://www.fljerry.com/flj0238.html

I used to have this when I was a kid...It's a pretty cheap trick, but I would suggest putting a few more dollars and picking up Bobo's New Modern Coin Magic book, where you can learn how to do such vanishes impromptu, with no attached gimmicks. But this "pull" style vanisher can be fun. Think there's even a short video demo of the effect...Smile Enjoy! Smile -MB
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Thanks...I think that is it. I have studied the impromptu vanishes before. This just looks so much cleaner. I'll see how it plays.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
May as well go all the way from using elastic to a holdout or a proper pull using a reel. The holdout approach has many applications. The pull is usually a one-shot.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
viris
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of viris
What is a holdout?
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Someone who doesn't give all information asked for....

with tongue in cheek....

Actually in the right hands...or is it arms..it can be quite useful....
vanishes and retrivals...

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Hey Guys, I'm looking for ideas on an pull hook-up for a coin vanish. Particularly what and how to use something to hold the partially extended pull cord in place until I'm ready to use it and then drop out of the way when pulled/activated so it will retract all the way back past this holder when released. I know I've read about it somewhere but I can't seem to remember exactly where. As well as I remember it is something very simple and a commonly used item used as the holder/retainer. It's a one time use vanish and not meant to be instantly repeatable... for now at least. Maybe I'll take it one step futher later on down the road and try to go with a repeatable version... unless of course an idea just falls into my lap while working on this version.
Thanks for any help you can offer.... feel free to PM me with anything
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I have been using this "apparatus" since about 1951. When I was in mid teens (now, I'm 82) a circus sideshow magician showed me the hook up.

A few years back, when I was working the Castle, I had great fun "amazing" a lot of young guys. One followed me around all week to see it "again"!

The late Earl "PRESTO" Johnson (NYC) used one, but he never met that old sideshow magi!!!!! Presto didn't know (apparently) the EZ method. When I worked (part time) in the old EdMar "brick & mortar" in Norfolk (early '50s) The "thing" was not selling. I showed Earl Edwards (owner) "the right way" and we sold 'em by the bushel!

I've done it in my lectures around the country for maybe 35 years--and sold the gimmick to hundreds. I'm betting that most of the purchasers took it home and filed it in the flotsam & jetsam drawer! I guess it's one of those "I don't like anyone well enough to give them something this good" things.

My book is almost finished. Maybe you have "motivated" me. I'll consider writing it up. Who knows? There may be a few who will realize how good it is!

PM me if you like. Then, perhaps we can switch over to email. (My PM box is always near the limit of 60!)

Dick Oslund
Sneaky, underhanded, devious, & surreptitious itinerant mountebanc
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
When I lived in Detroit, Michigan, there was a small envelope in the counter at Hall's magic shop run by Jimmy Martin, I think. The envelope had "Coin Go" printed on it. Never paid much attention to it. A guy by the name of Larry Jennings, a very dear friend, told me a story about it one day. Larry used the device all the time. It was attached toward the back of his armpit in the sportcoat he was wearing. It placed the coin just above the right hip pocket. When he reached into his right pants pocket, the right hand could pick up the coin easily as the hand slid into the pocket. There was no other setup. He apparently came out of the pocket with a coin. Then he placed the coin on his pant leg. He pulled a bit of pant let up over the coin. Then the coin slipped to nowhere. The bit of cloth was released and the coin gone. I think this is presented in Bobo's book or a sleight-of-hand version is. Larry told me the story of him doing it at a magic meeting one evening. First of all, Larry assumed that everyone knew what it was. After all, it was sold in the shop for everyone to see. Anyway, he does the trick for some guy at the meeting. The guy says, that's very nice, I like your handling. He paid nother compliment. Larry not knowing what to say asked if the guy would like to see it again. The guy says yes, and Larry does it again. This happens several times and the guy seems to get upset and walks away. Larry was left there in complete mystery as to what happened.

He surmized that each time he fooled the guy and the guy was pumping Larry to explain the effect. Larry believing that the solution is obvious never thought of explaining it thought the guy was praising his handlinge which left Larry really confused.

The point here is this. This trick is solid magic. The trick can be repeated many times. Done in certain ways, it resets itself. It is not an automatic trick however. Novices will just let the thing go and the coin will snap, flip, and jam without control. If it is controlled however, the coin slips into the ether without a whisper. It is close to real magic.

I have been known to just punch a hole in the edge of the coin and tie the gimmick to it. A problem with any coin attach device is that wear will eventually cause the thing to break.

I am amused that many magicians simply throw this device to the back of the junk drawer. The plot is so simple yet powerful. A coin disappears. And, you can repeat it immediately. One could do this trick between each serious effect and do very well. Then do it as the last trick.

Al Schneider
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
1) Buy these for $4: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-Plastic-Dres......7e2e5aa3

2) Go to WalMart; buy some light elastic cord and a package of medium-size safety pins.

3) tie a length of elastic to a safety pin at one end and one of these clips at the other end; length depends on hook-up.

4) keep about a hundred clips to last the rest of your life, since they wear out eventually.

5) find something to do with the other 900 clips - maybe donate them to the Salvation Army thrift shop near you.

6) you're welcome.
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2014, magicwatcher2005 wrote:
1) Buy these for $4: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-Plastic-Dres......7e2e5aa3

2) Go to WalMart; buy some light elastic cord and a package of medium-size safety pins.

3) tie a length of elastic to a safety pin at one end and one of these clips at the other end; length depends on hook-up.

4) keep about a hundred clips to last the rest of your life, since they wear out eventually.

5) find something to do with the other 900 clips - maybe donate them to the Salvation Army thrift shop near you.

6) you're welcome.

Not exactly the pull hook-up solution I'm looking for but thanks for posting the clip purchasing info... you can get them at most laundry/dry cleaners for free if you ask
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » One coin vanish using pull and plastic clip (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL