The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » CoinOne Gaff Issues (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tiramisu
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Tiramisu
Hello,

I purchased CoinOne (A++) a few weeks ago and I am having trouble doing the routine with the gaffs made by Tango or Kueppers. The fit is just not good enough. Does CoinOne really require a $200 gaff set by Schoolcraft or is it just me having issues? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kyf
View Profile
Loyal user
UK, England (but Scottish by birth)
265 Posts

Profile of Kyf
Hi,

I have Morgan and Peace Dollars - with Johnson Shells (from the Magic Warehouse) - no problems with those or with Johnson Kennedy Halfs (1964 - silver - same supplier). Bought the coins from eBay and the shells were around the $60 each mark.

The Nickel shells for 2006 Kennedy Halfs are a bit tinny though (Tango) so I let my 10 year old son use those for practise coins.

I also bought (awaiting delivery) a set of Schoolcraft Soft Morgan Dollars.

Regards,

Kyf
"I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension." Steve Wright
Tiramisu
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Tiramisu
Hi Kyf,

"Tinny" is a good word for the cheaper gaffs I have. I will try a Johnson.

Thanks
Kyf
View Profile
Loyal user
UK, England (but Scottish by birth)
265 Posts

Profile of Kyf
Hi Tiramisu,

I bought the "Silver" expanded shells. You cover the noise of the shell (dull) by making more noise with the other coins. I know that appeared on the instructions and is easy to do.

The Silver shells make a much nicer noise and is lower in pitch - so easier to cover.

Silver coins make SUCH a nice tone.

Regards

Kyf
"I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension." Steve Wright
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Hi Tiramisu, one of the reasons for paying the "price" for the expensive gaffs is the fit. If "fit" is the issue, you either have to live with it and make it work or dish out the extra cash. I am not saying you can't make the cheaper gaffs work, but you may need to use a bit more effort, skill and ingenuity to do so. I don't want to sound callous, but you get what you pay for.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
869 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
Hi, Tiramisu (I like tiramisu cake btw Smile)
With good gaffs, it will help you a lot doing a routine, any routine

I started with Johnson stuff until I replaced all my set with Schoolcraft or Lassen or whoever. I'm sayin I replaced my gaffs with the good one (mine is Schoolcraft).

IMHO, you might need more time to do smooth one with ussual gaffs like Fingers said

It just investment, so why not....

Cheers
Andre
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
The Coin One routine is best worked with 'soft' coins.

You might also consider a 'soft' Schoolcraft Walking Liberty Half set which is less expensive than Morgans and has some better angles for this specific routine.

If you're going to invest the dozens to hundreds of hours practicing this routine, I'd seriously consider getting a Schoolcraft set.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I don;lt find the angles much better or worse with either
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
556 Posts

Profile of padre rich
Joe porpre is making Morgan sets the paople say rock .
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
I emailed Homer after I bought his DVD, but before I bought the coins to ask which set would give the best angles, he responded saying "the Walking Liberty Half will give you the best angles".

I only bought the Walking Liberties not the Morgans, so I can't comment one way or another, other than to say "Homer said so".

The concept of 'soft coins' being best for the CoinOne routine came directly from Jamie Schoolcraft.

Both guys coin work being far, far in advance of my own, I accepted their wisdom without question, and continue to do so when the discussion revolves around 'angles' and 'softness'.
Tiramisu
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Tiramisu
Thank you for all of the replies on this topic. I paid $20 bucks for my Kueppers gaff and well..I guess I got what I paid for. I will save up and get the Schoolcraft set. Thanks
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I don't understand why "soft" coins would be necessary for "CoinOne". I practiced the routine for months now and performed "CoinOne" without a hitch using regular silver Morgan dollar coins and had no problem at all. Coin noise is not really an issue in the routine as I see it. Now angles could be an issue, but as I see it, it is a minor issue if you have your audience looking down on the coins....

Just out of curiosity, what do you think of the Kueppers gaff Tiramisu?
Greg Hues
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
143 Posts

Profile of Greg Hues
For CoinOne, do you guys use expanded [s or unexpanded? I was just curious, because I have only tried it with ex[s and was wondering if people were getting better use out of unexpanded [s before I go an fork over some heavy cash for a nice unexpanded shell and coin set.
Regards,

Greg Hues
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I have used both with halves and un-ex with dollars, they both work just as well really
Greg Hues
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
143 Posts

Profile of Greg Hues
Quote:
On 2007-04-27 13:35, Joshua Barrett wrote:
I have used both with halves and un-ex with dollars, they both work just as well really

Thanks Joshua, I am a still sometime away from having this performance ready, so I was just wondering what peoples experiences were.
Regards,

Greg Hues
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I use an unexpanded[ Greg, but I don't think it really matters either way. I prefer using silver dollars over halves though, for this particular routine I think the silver dollars weight is an advantage, but you can go either way there too.....
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
I use an ex[ with normal kennedy halves. It works fine for me.
Tiramisu
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Tiramisu
Fingers,

The main problem I had with the Kueppers gaff was that it was not tall enough to conceal the coin. It looked obvious from the side I was using some kind of gimmick. The fit was also a problem as the coin moved around in the gaff. The "tinny" sound Kyf mentioned was also an issue for me.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
All [s sound tinny. Only practice will make those noises go away.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Frank has got it right Tiramisu, they do all sound tinny and the coin will move around inside the [ too. The only real problem you have is that the shell does not cover enough of the coin on the edges. With the better, more expensive ['s the [ will fit "almost" completely covering the edge or at least enough of the edge that a spectator really won't notice unless he knows what he is looking for, which he won't.

You can use halves for the routine Michael, I just think "personally" it is easier to use silver dollars.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » CoinOne Gaff Issues (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL