The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » T.A. Waters and Jones 'Magick' (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
As a relative newcomer to mentalisim, I am doing a first reading thorugh my copy of Mind, Myth, and Magick.
I'm finding that, as I read this book I feel like I'm FINALLY reading something special. It's got effects and thinking in it that really resonate as being deeply thought out and well beyond some of the more commonly available mentalisim texts.....and magic texts for that matter. (I last felt this way about a book when reading 'Greater Magic').

In the section of the book on T.A. Waters previous magazine article contributions, there's a few effects from his contributions to Bascom Jones 'Magick'.
As I'm reading THESE selections it seems that the five or six effects he contributed to Bascom's magazine that also show up in MM&M are even MORE thought out and seem quite rare in terms of my ever having read similar methods being used.

My question to the more experienced among us is, "is the Bascom Jones 'Magick'(perhaps the one from Collectors Workshop) really as good as the few shared effects in 'Mind, Myth, and Magick' seems to indicate it would be"?

My efforts at research to date lead me to believe that to own 'Magick' along with 'Invocation' and 'New Invocation', AND the three Andruzzi 'materials' would be getting pretty close to the grail as far as mentalisim texts are concerned, and would be well worth efforts to acquire, putting pricing aside for the sake of discussion for now.

Am I right to pursue this thought?
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2007-04-23 13:14, silverking wrote:

My question to the more experienced among us is, "is the Bascom Jones 'Magick'(perhaps the one from Collectors Workshop) really as good as the few shared effects in 'Mind, Myth, and Magick' seems to indicate it would be"?

Bascom Jones'Magick is even much better than what you think!

Get it if you can.

Of course it will take you some good time to digest everything you will find in it, especially if you are new to the Mentalism field, as you wrote.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
The complete magick, Complete Invocation and Jinx form a complete master class as far as I am concerned.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13152 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I would add the New Jinx (making it the complete Jinx). It is the real predecessor to the Invocation.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1904 Posts

Profile of chmara
If you acquire "Magick" I would recommend you get a complete collection including the bonus inserts - not just the bound books. But -- the books are better than nothing since it is rare to find the complete collections available -- mine cost about $900...and I would it party with it for less then a couple of thousand.

Tony I's Jinx & New Jinx combo is a winner too and I would add the little known "Complete Notebooks of C. A. George Newman."
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-04-23 14:48, chmara wrote:
If you acquire "Magick" I would recommend you get a complete collection including the bonus inserts - not just the bound books. But -- the books are better than nothing since it is rare to find the complete collections available -- mine cost about $900...and I would it party with it for less then a couple of thousand.

Tony I's Jinx & New Jinx combo is a winner too and I would add the little known "Complete Notebooks of C. A. George Newman."

I'm one of the few (so be it) that really did not bother too much to get all of the Invocation issues.

But those Newmann's Complete Notebooks... ***! I'm still looking out for the FULL collection, and it has been two years now.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
magicmonkeyphoto
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of magicmonkeyphoto
Magick isn't very good. I have seen it at a friends house. So, if you spent a lot of money on it, let me help you out. I will buy it from you since it isn't very good, and I am a super nice guy. Smile

I actually have read some of it. Man, I want it!

Lincoln
http://www.lincolnworld.com/products -- For high end mentalist utility devices, ideas, and props for professionals and serious hobbyists. You can follow me on Instagram @Lincolnworldmagic and on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/LincolnWorldWatchers
Kevin Cook
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Kevin Cook
They certainly are classic texts. I would also add 'Thoughts So Far' by Kennedy, and 'S.A.D.' by Looch to that list. These are all, as the almighty Lord of the Horses so elequently put it, "even much better than what you think!"
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Don't put words in "the horse's mouth", please.

I would never ever compare Kennedy and Looch books with Bascom Jones' full collection of MAGICK.

This has nothing to do with them (and I'm sure they will be the first two people to agree) but we are speaking about way different things.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Magick is more akin to the Necronomicon in that it is rare to find and full of powerful secrets...

The complete run of Magick would provide performers with 100000 lifetimes of effects... at least.

As mentioned in other threads, it is a great source to find out how many people in the current magic community have "rediscovered" things already discovered or "ripped-off" in some cases...

Supposedly, VIKING is to publish them all again, cross-referenced, indexed etc... but it is also one of thos things that seem to be planned for after this lifetime Smile
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Mental_Mike
View Profile
Special user
Canada
726 Posts

Profile of Mental_Mike
I've been wanting the Magick set. They just had one on ebay that sold for $1,276.00.
That's pretty crazy, I'm just going to have to wait for the reprints I guess.

I think Vol.4 is a little easier to get ahold of...Is this one volume worth $150??
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3454 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On 2007-04-24 06:50, Lord Of The Horses wrote:
Don't put words in "the horse's mouth", please.

I would never ever compare Kennedy and Looch books with Bascom Jones' full collection of MAGICK.

This has nothing to do with them (and I'm sure they will be the first two people to agree) but we are speaking about way different things.

Of course Paolo, My Book is far superior to magick ;-)

They are completely different entities and cannot be compared, Magick is a classical text that has stood its test of time with a comprehensive and often overwhelming volume of ideas. IF you can obtain one do so without thought!

As for my book SAD, it was my first release of ideas that I put out, I was nervous as hell as to how it would be recieved, luckily apart from a few minor teething problems the majority rated it very highly indeed, and for that I am truely thankful, it has put me in a position where I can release further ideas, one of which I will be doing very soon.

all the best
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Seriously, MAGICK is a source of things which at the time they were created were way more innovative than what Derren Brown may be innovative today.

Also, not only those things stood the test of the time, but many of the modern-day things, which one would think are NEW CREATIONS of the new kids on the block... ARE, in truth, NOT!

Without MAGICK (and all of the other ALWAYS NAMED books) modern performers (little and big names) would have really LITTLE food for thoughts.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3454 Posts

Profile of Looch
Was that a little dig at me paolo?
Mental_Mike
View Profile
Special user
Canada
726 Posts

Profile of Mental_Mike
I bought the bound volumes of Syzygy and as much as people say they loved it, I only thought it was alright. There were a few Ideas in it I have used but not much. Is Magick way better?? I know there's more effects, ideas and essays in magick. From what I hear about it, it sounds like it has the best effects from the best mentalists around that time who have contributed to it.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Wayne, No.

Why should I?

Mike,

I liked SYZYGY (maybe it's just different tastes) but I would never compare anything I have ever read to MAGICK. Never!

Well, I still miss the full Newmann collection (but that's another story).
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Yep - just like I said a few posts above... but I can see why people don't want MAGICK to come out to the broad magic community - for those reasons as well as potential theft of more ideas from it... but we know... we know...

Might as well through in my usual comment on stolen ideas from Al Mann - genius - the man in the shadows everyone seems to have forgetton (or also trying to be kept in the dark with MAGICK Smile)...

It is humbling to see how many effects are within MAGICK and AME's... on the bright side, a few routines I came up with which I found out were pretty much what some big guns published in Magick decades ago makes me feel at least I am on the right track in my own development as a designer of effects... as well as seeing there was a golden age of Mentalism and Bizarre Magick that hopefully will rise again (a la Camelot)...

An aside - why is Paolo a great person for running by effects and getting feedback? He has schooled himself in the past and present for knowing where the art is going in the future.

Hey Silverking - did you run out and buy MAGICK yet?!?!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
ChuckHickok
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of ChuckHickok
When I was starting my serious exploration of the art of mentalism 20 years ago, many people encouraged me to read MAGICK to begin learning the "good stuff" . I bought all three collections from Collector's Workshop.

They were very expenseive ... and worth every penny to me.

They gave me an wonderful initial exposure to many of the classic methods used in mentalism.

Bascom (who left us way too early) had a wonderful way of condensing a routine down to the key elements. And the patter he used to introduce each routine helped me understand the importance of investing time in creating a script that connects with your audience.

If you are serious about performing a mentalism-only show, I strongly recommend these books.

If you are looking for a few mentalism routines, there may be less expensive books to begin with.

Chuck Hickok
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3454 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On 2007-04-24 09:00, Lord Of The Horses wrote:
Wayne, No.

Why should I?

I obviously read too much into your post and got the wrong end of the stick so to speak. didn't think you had any need to...
Mental_Mike
View Profile
Special user
Canada
726 Posts

Profile of Mental_Mike
Paolo, You've got me really interested in these now...I might have to buy Vol.4 soon.

I wanted to PM you about your books also, but I see you don't accept private messages...I was just wondering if you'll ever have your ebooks in book form, I've read reviews and I want them but I'd really prefer them in a book...Do you think someday you may put your greek alphabet series in one big book???

Thanks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » T.A. Waters and Jones 'Magick' (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL