The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
I'm looking to get started in dove magic. Can anyone suggest any good sources to learn the art of dove magic?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Magicman, there are probably 100 topics in this forum asking the same question. You might want to search through them. In the meantime, Here's a list to get started:

Tony Clark Unmasked 1 & 2
Andy Amyx Doves 101
General Grant How to make a living stealing...Doves of course
Chavez, Encyclopedia of dove magic
Adair, Encyclopedia of dove magic
Greg Frewin, Complete course in dove magic
Amos Levkovitch, Dove Tails and Just do it

Here's a link to most of the books and vids available. All of them are good but the above list is a good start.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......3&27
Where the magic begins
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Maybe it's time to get together a FAQ for people looking into getting doves and we can sticky it?

I'm not saying that in a negitive way, but for others to check out so they don't have to search through topics.

I sure would have loved that when I started. =]

Best,
-Vinnie
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
Thank you guys for the responses. A sticky woul be very helpful.
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
Where do you purchase doves? and is there a certain type of dove you need to purchase? Do the birds wings need to be trimmed?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Magicman, take things a step at a time. You need to get some of the reference vids listed above to be sure you really want to get into dove magic. It's a lot more involved than just buying a dove and putting it in a pocket. you need to understand the time and expense involved.

Again, there are topics throughout the Polly forum that have answered where to purchase doves and also the types available. A lot depends on where you are located.

Trimming feathers in my opinion is never a good thing. You should be able to train your doves so they don't fly away. I think you'll find that most of the members who post here feel the same way.

As for setting up a sticky topic, most people don't read them and would just ask the question anyway. That's why we have a search function but even that isn't used all the time.
Where the magic begins
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Get a book on caring for doves also. I actually found one called "Doves" (A Complete Pet Owner's Manual) that is very insightful.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Steve Anderson
View Profile
New user
Texas
26 Posts

Profile of Steve Anderson
I agree with Dave on never trimming wing or tail feathers. Trimming the wings can prevent them from being able to fly up which could prevent them from perching at night. Or being able to break a fall if they should slip or spooked off of the perch.
Like the others have said read as much as you can about doves and dove magic before you get the doves. Even though they are pretty they may not be the thing for everyone.

Steve
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Dave:

I 2nd Vinnie's suggestion for a beginner's FAQ sticky for this section.

Typical newbie questions would be good:

*Where to find doves

*How to care for doves

*Beginning books/dvds/info on dove magic

etc.

Could be useful and save a lot of time in the future.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Chris: I'll work on it.
Where the magic begins
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
You are the man Dave! Smile
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Thanks for backing me up, Chris! =]

But reall, I think it will help int he long run...

-Vinnie
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
Thanks for all the help. Is anyone willing to sell or trade some older dove material to a newcomer?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Magicman, you can ask this question in the Let's make a deal forum under either the Books and pamplets section, or the DVD's section.
Where the magic begins
rickgreenmagic
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of rickgreenmagic
Does anyone know where I can get the greg frewin complete course in dove magic from second hand?>
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL