The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Sword-and-Rope (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
My 'Sword and Rope' routine ... hope you like it, enjoy:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rYwaEZ9Vaws

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
692 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
I like that sword. I want one!!

As an alternative ending - just before you restore the ropes in your left hand, you could say, "You see, I didn't really stab myself (remove the sword) AND I didn't really cut the ropes (let the ropes drop & restore)"

You could also pull out the sword and use it as a magic wand, to wave over the ropes.

Rick Mearns
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
John Heggie
View Profile
Inner circle
Huntersville, NC
1805 Posts

Profile of John Heggie
Joe,
I would imagine that this sword routine must draw a large crowd when it is sticking out of your chest.
I would consider using Ricks closing. It ties in great with your illusion patter.

I would also consider lengthen this routine to 2.5 minutes. It is such a great effect that your audience will not loss interest in anything you are saying or doing while that sword is in your chest.
Great job.

~John
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I appreciate the comments ... initally, I used the sword to draw a crowd, but it does tend to put some pressure on my (already bad) back. Thus, I now do the sword once I have an edge so it is not sticking out me as long. It is also an "every-other-day" illusion, not something I do daily. Its like wearing a bad pair of shoes, you do feel it at the end of the day - especially street performing where I am repeating it.

The thing about the sword is it is only "magic" if they either (a) see me stab myself, or (b) see me withdraw it. If they happen to stumble upon me with it sticking out, it looks like a costume. I've had people gasp when they see it withdrawn, because they assumed it was part of my costume and didn't realize it was actually stabbed into me. That seems to be the best presentation, because they never gasp when they see me stab myself.

At the same time, there is not a lot of magic to it ... put the sword in, take the sword out. I came up with the rope idea to get more out of it. I imagine I could lengthen the rope routine, but it is somewhat clumsy working over the sword ... you can see me fumble with the rope in the video. That is of course something I (naturally) get better at as I do it more often.

This summer, I plan to experiement with it more ... I'm thinking of moving it towards the end of the show and see how it works with a larger crowd. I hope to get even better video of it ... I have at least one idea I'd like to try out. And I will defidently try Rick's idea of withdrawing the sword before restoring the three rope pieces, create a double-whammy on them.

Again, thanks for comments and my ears (eyes?) are open for more. Smile

-JoeJoe
John Heggie
View Profile
Inner circle
Huntersville, NC
1805 Posts

Profile of John Heggie
Quote:
On 2007-04-24 21:34, JoeJoe wrote:
..... but it does tend to put some pressure on my (already bad) back. Thus, I now do the sword once I have an edge so it is not sticking out me as long.

JoeJoe,
I share your concern with not aggravating a bad back. You only get one spine in your lifetime.

I would recommend seeing your chiropractor on a regular basis.

(If you need a recommendation for a chiropractor in your area let me know)

~John
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I have a chiropractor, but havn't seen him in years ... I use an inversion table instead. Works wonder it does. Smile

-JoeJoe
John Heggie
View Profile
Inner circle
Huntersville, NC
1805 Posts

Profile of John Heggie
Since you are having back problems I would suggest making an appointment with your chiropractor.

~John
Sal Amangka
View Profile
Special user
Manila, Philippines
711 Posts

Profile of Sal Amangka
Nice routine with the sword and rope!

Sal
Salamangka in Filipino means "Magic"
http://www.thechubstershow.com
thechubstershow@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Sword-and-Rope (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL