The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Where to begin? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
gothicmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Ubiquitous
1374 Posts

Profile of gothicmagic
Greetings,
many have found coming to Our Inner Circle of Bizarre magick Gathering a help in their works as there is time to chat with other Bizarrists from around the country, workshop/lecture and a works in progress session. this all takes place in CT during November.
Vlad
Vlad ^0^
One of The Founding Fathers of The East Coast Spirit Sessions & Co Producer of Bizarre hauntings
ECSS I,II,III,IV,V,VI
Order of the Hexidic
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
As a person of Norse ancestry myself, I like where you're going with your concept, Margarette. I noticed the other day that Barnes & Noble's got a set of runestones on closeout. I may just have to go back there and pick up a set!
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
Bizarre is as bizarre does.

First you need to define bizarre for yourself (personally I think little is as bizarre as a guy in a tux/tails doing doves when compared to the "real world."

Determine your opinion (it will change) of what effects people emotionally - not limiting yourself to vampires, voodoo, ancient Eqypt, Lovecraft or Poe. Stories of love and winter, fright in the night, seeing and not believing can be as bizarre a trip down the path of magic as a spike through the arm. tongue or other regions.

If you want fast, identifiable connection with the audience for shock value -- tha is one small area. Check Brother Kotah's work (Ron Dayton) and look for Brother Shadow's materials.

Look to Blackhart, develop a Dungeons and Dragons theme -- go victorian or X-men -- but make it your own choice. THEN look for stories and effects that blend into your ideal character and back story. It will fall in place.

If yopu go with ONLY standard texts -- you will be standardly bizarre --which to me -- is an oxymoron.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
Mary Tomich's magazine, The Altar Flame, is also an excellent source of ideas. Unfortunately, this magazine is out of print and nearly impossible to obtain.

In my opinion, bizarre magic is NOT doing Coins through the Table while telling some sort of ghost story. Bizarre magic is NOT doing the color-changing handkerchief while telling some far-fetched, obviously concocted tale.

Bizarre magic is Magic, as if it were real. It requires a completely different mind set than regular magic, or for that matter, escapes. It is magic as "Theater." It requires strong theatrical/acting abilities. I don't mean to make it sound impossible, just that it is much more difficult to do properly than is regular magic.

Bizarre magic is more closely related to mentalism (not mental magic) than it is to regular magic. For this reason, the Psychic Entertainers Association (of which I am a member) includes both mentalists and bizarre magicians.

Bizarre magic is really fun for the performer because of the audience reaction. Audiences sometimes remember a routine for years after it is performed.

Best of luck in your exploration of this wonderful field.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
In addition to the above mentioned works...

Docc Hilford's written a lot of very nice little pamphlets.

His book on "Ball and Tube" is a marvelous discussion about how to make emotional connections with an audience, through the telling of a story (of sorts). It's a quick and easy read, that I go through every couple of months, not because I don't know it, but because it's a great reminder. And I've never even done ball and tube for an audience (and probably won't.)
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Hi, Margarette,

Lots of good advice on inspiration so far. Good books and ideas.

What I would do at this point is to read a few of those things and then put it all away for a few days. Let it all stew and simmer inside my head. Sleep on it. Look at myself in the mirror...

Then figure out what about all this is attractive to me, why I want to do it, and what I want to say with it. And make it all very clear in my mind, even if it means letting it stew for a few more days.

At the end of that period, I would have a good idea of who my performing character is. TV cooking shows are a perfect example of this: every TV chef has his or her own personality, and they get their message across differently, even as they're all doing exactly the same thing. Once I know who I am as a performer, then I can go back and choose effects, based on how they fit my personality and style.

Good luck! Keep us posted!
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Hey Margarette,
If you are playing to Memphis audiences, you can definately create material from so many existing ghost stories and hauntings that happen in this soulful place. You have riverboat ghosts, Bluesman ghosts, even Elvis's ghost!

Christian Chelman's "Hauntiques" did much to get my creative juices flowing. I like the idea of connecting a story with a tangeable object. Makes the effect even more scary.

I crave one of Doug Higley's dead Mer-creatures! If I could write the routine that would go where I want it, I would spring for my Mer today!
Autumn
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Autumn...we got you covered on that one! Kotah has written some interesting pieces just for the mers (and so have I) that I make. PM me. Smile Get your 'spring ready'. Smile

D
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Hey Doug! Maybe another book is in order?
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
mrehula
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of mrehula
Quote:
On 2007-04-24 11:00, gsidhe wrote:
My advice...
Begin with what you already know how to do, then change the way you present it.

You need to take your magic to a primal level. You are no longer performing "tricks" but pulling up things that we know are impossible on the conscious level, but still ring true on the unconscious. You need to create a direct link to the primitive part of the mind, the part that was trained out of us as children.
You need to remind people that yes...There is a boogyman. They just stopped seeing it.

Excellent, Gwyd! Inspiring! Maybe I will 'go Bizzare'!
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Just to list one or two other good sources for bizarre routines, Sheherazade and Final Curtain by Borodin.
But I've never believed in doing routines as they are written in books, that's like doing someone else's magic.

I think Bizarre in particular, due to it's "primal" nature - as Gwyd pointed out- needs a personal touch, because believability is so critical. You have to be "you", albeit usually within a character. That is, choose a character that the real you can really get into; something natural, an extension or subset of yourself.
A good many of us identify with the mystics of old; the druids, the shamans, portraying magic as "real", as Bill Flemming said, although the character may be that of a curator of antiquities, for example.
That doesn't mean there's no room for humor, however, if you wish. Be unique, but consistent.

Where most magicians work for "oohs" and "aaahs",or applause and cheers, it is said that the bizarrist values a profound reaction of stunned silence and subsequent reflection above all else.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
egregor
View Profile
Veteran user
The other side of the veil.
340 Posts

Profile of egregor
Margarette,
Spend a weekend with me, and you'll know what bizarre is.
My mom says I'm reprehensible, I think I'm perfectly hensible.
egregor
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of egregor
OK guys go for the jugular.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Egregor, you give new meaning to the word primal. Smile
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
egregor
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of egregor
I deeply apologize for never hitting on you earlier Autumn,but, One of my mentors was a Delaware Indian Shaman, and native american mojo is too powerful for me to repel, and Blackfeet mojo is really potent. So I only tease the newbies.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Egregor,
Don't let Margarette catch you calling her a newbie...she is president of the magic club in Memphis and I highly suspect she has some powerful Memphis mojo of her own brewing on her barbecue grill.

No problem with not hitting on me earlier. I appreciate the respect shown. That Blackfeet mojo can be pure Elk medicine. Don't ask me to elaborate, except to say it draws a person in like a mosquito to a bug zapper Smile
Autumn
Doug Henning
Black Hart
View Profile
Elite user
Scottish Highlands
475 Posts

Profile of Black Hart
You could always take a look here: http://www.blackhart.co.uk

Keith Hart
Black Artefacts, manufacturer and dealer of weird, bizarre and psychic magic: www.blackhart.co.uk
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
"I'm an elk! Its elk Season!!!!"

Yes Margarette - the source of mystery magick can come from many places - even from a dark feathered master of madness who has ancient hatreds towards an avatar of the Trickster god (two of a pantheon of chaotic entities that held sway over many people's childhood)
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Quote:
On 2007-04-28 17:07, Autumn Morning Star wrote:
Egregor,
Don't let Margarette catch you calling her a newbie...

Well.....when it comes to bizarre magic, I am a newbie. We all gotta start somewhere!! I have been reading all these responses and making notes. I appreciate all the recommendations and help that everyone is throwing my way!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

TZZZZZZT--!! Was that the bug zapper again?
Doug Henning
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Where to begin? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL