The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Enhancing Your Ability to Work Wonders - by Brad Burt » » Mental Warfare in Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Added Note...at this time in my magic career I can think of no single concept that I believe to be as powerful as the "Magic State of Mind". I honestly believe that ALL the best magicians use it even if unconsciously. But, how much better to understand that it exsists and consciously practice it's placement into our practice? Enjoy...

Hey ALL:

Catchy Subject line, eh? Once you have learned the physical technique for a trick and memorized the routine and patter what's left? What's left is what I call the "Magic State of Mind." That is, the way in which 'we think about' what it is we are doing. You place a coin in your L.H., but retain it in you Right. Where do YOU think the coin is? If you say the R.H. you failed the test. YOU have to believe at least at the level that an actor 'believes' he or she is the character thay are portraying that the coin IS in fact IN the L.H. Beause, that where you want the AUDIENCE to believe that it is. This is both simple and complex. It's an obvious truth that your body language tells folks much about what is going on with a trick, etc. Your mental conviction is displayed by your body in many small and subconcious ways that add 'visual conviction' to what you are doing as a conjurer.

In a recent mailing to my private client list I noted that I am now carrying the Norm Nielsen Vanishing bottles in both the coke and Katsup. After the little advert squib I used what I consider one of the most powerful and truly magical tricks ever devised to teach a short lesson ON THE CONCEPT OF THE MAGIC STATE OF MIND and how it applies in this specific magic apparatus. This assumes that you understand not so much 'how' the bottles work, but that they are in fact 'gimmicked' in a manner that you wish to project normalcy as powerfully as possible. Here is that lesson:

A Lesson in the Magic State of Mind: Now, here's a place where what I
term the Magic State of Mind REALLY comes into play. The only realy
trick to the Vanishing Bottle (As the props themselves are so freakily
REAL looking.) is to BELIEVE that in fact the bottle is REAL. You simply
have to say to yourself that you are going to, "Vanish a REAL glass
bottle" and keep that in mind. Treat the bottle as if it is real within
the parameters of the bottles properties, etc. They look so good that
you HAVE NOTHING TO PROVE! When the bottle vanishes it simply is gone.

The fact that YOU know the bottle is rubber is not an issue. People
will look at the bottle and fully believe that it is real. YOU are going
to ride that belief to the finale of the effect and produce what is
really one of the best magic tricks ever devised.

The lesson here again is that to make your magic more and more powerful
YOU must essentially believe in the 'lie'. The bottle isn't rubber,
it's glass. The rope isn't cut near the end, it's cut in the exact
center. The coin isn't retained in the R.H. when it appears to have been
placed in the L.H. No, it's REALLY placed in the L.H.

By the nature of the thing, as we learn a trick or routine we have to
concentrate on doing what the routine calls for. But, once the moves
are learned and known we HAVE to rephrase the actual reality to the
REALITY THAT WE ARE ATTEMPTING TO PROJECT TO THE AUDIENCE!

Do this and I GUARANTEE your magic will improve. It HAS to, becuase
your body language will be projecting an entirely different set of
signals. Go forth and knock 'em dead! Metaphorically speaking of course.
;-)

All best,
Brad Burt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Enhancing Your Ability to Work Wonders - by Brad Burt » » Mental Warfare in Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL