The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Making it look metal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SenseiStrange
View Profile
Veteran user
The Dead God's Dreams
345 Posts

Profile of SenseiStrange
I am working on a prop.

essentially it is a ping pong ball. I want to make it look like it is made of metal. Is there a paint that can give the effect? A small metal looking plastic ball with the same weight?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
Krylon metalic spray paint is your answer!
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
There is only one item:

This stuff is REMARKABLE I actually painted my kitchen counters in it.. and added the coppper candy coating.. they're beautiful! and not as tacky as I'd feared!

http://alsacorp.com/products/killercans/......rice.htm
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Just like painting plastic airplane or ship models, it ends up being in the details. A plain gray or chrome painted ball may do the trick, or a chrome ball that has been dropped or scuffed a bit might look more what you need Are there assembly rivets or a weld seam??. Hard to say. Take a look at some metal spheres to see what minute details make it look like it does, scratches or polish marks? you can do that to chrome paint surfaces too.
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I don't know how durable it has to be, but there are spray paints on the market that will give a metal effect. I sprayed a wooden prop with a paint that made it look like 'dented' metal. There are also chrome paints but again, I am sure if they would be durable enough or work for you application. There is much out there to experiment with.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Aaron Chee
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Aaron Chee
Hmm...sounds interesting..

Well there are few methods to accomplish this kind of accomplishment..

In art store they sell this a kind of foil for jewellery...comes in silver and gold flim foil.

Here is the link..
http://www.sculpey.com/Projects/projects......elry.htm

or

Those great contributors who share their idea of using spray - metallic spray
Those are great alternatives.

Strongly advise to go over a layer of primer then the metallic spray...

Note: Always keep the surface dry and clean (free of dust).

Or

If you dun mind, you get get those chirstmas tree ornament for your metallic ball.

Or

If you are looking for solid quality ball...pm me and I will reccomend you a great looking solid ball in metallic look as light as plastic ball.

Regards
Aaron Chee
Ace Illusions

Email: info@aceillusions.com
Mobile: +65 81836672, Facsimile: +65 62530656
www.AceIllusions.com
SenseiStrange
View Profile
Veteran user
The Dead God's Dreams
345 Posts

Profile of SenseiStrange
Thanks for a few of the ideas.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
There is also the hammerite paint by rustoleum that may give you the look you want.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Just a note on painting plastic. The paint finds it hard to bound to plastic so a soft sanding to the ping pong ball. Don’t go for 1 heavy coat do a thin dusting of paint leave for a while do this 3 to 4 times then leave for a hour, then do one coat and leave over night. Light sand and do another coat. This should give a good solid even colour.
Once it dry spray a couple coats of matt gloss.

This is the process I use on many of my models, but bear in mind there many ways to paint and always go by products guide lines.

If this is to be made to sit side by side a real metal ball you might be best to alter the metal ball as well.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Quote:
On 2007-04-25 00:24, makeupguy wrote:
There is only one item:

This stuff is REMARKABLE I actually painted my kitchen counters in it.. and added the coppper candy coating.. they're beautiful! and not as tacky as I'd feared!

http://alsacorp.com/products/killercans/......rice.htm

I second that!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Making it look metal (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL