The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Balloon to Dove - Pop Barehanded? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mattsharpe
View Profile
New user
Paradise, Newfoundland
72 Posts

Profile of mattsharpe
Hmm... Are you using 260s? or round balloons? With 260s, you should be able to see the flash wherever you place the paper, however with round balloons you'd have to do it towards the opening of the balloon where you inflate it(so the audience could see). Or you could do it towards the top of the balloon. Either way, it's just a handling issue that you could figure out with watching yourself in the mirror once or twice.

Also, an idea for blowing the balloon up onstage. Have the flash paper and tape set up, and stuck behind a lapelle or something, as you bring your hands to your mouth to inflate the balloon, steal the tape/paper and load it onto the balloon around the mouth piece. Then you're all set.
Matt
mattsharpe
View Profile
New user
Paradise, Newfoundland
72 Posts

Profile of mattsharpe
Heh, just remembered one situation with this. I was doing the balloon to rabbit at a kids birthday party and I was setting everything up in a hurry. And I forgot to attach the flash paper to the balloon. And I needed to pop the balloon myself to make the production, so I just held the light match under it. It did the job the same, but I'm sure it didn't look the same, hah.

Just one thing I've picked up over the year or so I've been performing it incase you happen to have an issue with the paper(whether you forgot it, or it falls off, etc.). Very very simple idea, but it's an easy answer to a bad situation.
Matt
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Hey Matt... I am using the round balloons.

Well, I don't know about loading the tape on to the balloon after its blown up... Too much fumbling, I think...

Well, about putting the Flash Paper around the blowing end of the balloon, I'm going to holding that end, so bad idea... LOL...

Hmmmm, well, I'll keep thinking of how to get that FP taped onto the balloon and stay on there after it is blown up... (any help from you guys is great)

I had the idea to put the Flash Paper inside of the balloon before hand, and then blowing the balloon up, tieing it, pulling the match from the match pull, touching the match to the spot of the balloon where the FP is (you obviously need to light it from the bottom b/c the FP is going to be sitting at the bottom of the balloon), and as the balloon pops from the heat of the match, the FP will also ignite and it would look "flashier", I guess you could say... BUT, the only problem with that is that the dove might come in contact with the already burning Flash Paper... I don't know, any ideas?

Thanks
-Vinnie
mattsharpe
View Profile
New user
Paradise, Newfoundland
72 Posts

Profile of mattsharpe
Haven't tried it, but you could put a flash paper ball on the uninflated balloon, and with just a touch of super glue, glue a corner of the paper onto the balloon. Just enough to keep it on.
Matt
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Super glue will pop the balloon due to the chemicals in its makeup. It "eats" away at the latex.

You could also try blowing up the balloon, then taking out a piece of flash cord (sprinkled with additive) and tie it around the balloon end as if it were going to be on a string like the helium filled balloons. Mimmick the fact that the balloon won't float (1. show disappointment in your face, 2. then get a sudden thought, 3. use your match pull), light the string, and POWEE.....

Just an idea.....
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Hey Tom.. Thanks for the idea with the cord! Sounds cool!

LOL, something random came to mind when you said to use the cord... Imagine already haveing a rubber balloon inflated with helium, then having a piece of flash cord tied around the knotted end... Then light the cord, watch it burn as you let go of the cord and it floats upward, and it eventually pops the balloon, and I think the helium would even make a little fire ball because it's (I think) a flamable gas... Haha, neat little eye catcher. =]

Hmmm... I really like the cord idea... Maybe I could simply blow the balloon up, take out the cord that already has the tape on the end, stick it on the balloon (and all this the audience would see) and then light, watch it go up, pop, dove! LOL, but there's always that "BUT"... BUT I need a reason to take the flash cord out anyways... I like the tieing to the end of the tied end of the balloon, but that would interfere with holding it from that end...

Oh jeesh, this'll be a longer post than I had in mind... Just got another idea that may be good for kids... I take out a balloon and a piece of flash string. Blow up the balloon, don't TIE IT, take the string and attempt to wrap it around the end of the balloon (everyone will understand this) but purposely let the balloon go so it flies around the stage... Laughter will ensue. Then only holding the string in your hand, just light it, and produce the dove. =]
LOL, this idea is staring to shy away from the topic. LOL...

Hmmmmm...
-Vinnie
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
But it works...That is what creativity is all about! *smile*

you'll come up with something, but yes, floating a balloon with helium and adding fire is not a good mixture....you would hate to start a fire and spread it because the balloon didn't pop when it was supposed to. always keep everything under control in your hands...you'll be fine...*smile*

You have a good creative mind....you'l think of something.....or like most of us end up doing is, you write it down in your journal, and then do something else! *haha*
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Haha, thanks for the comments Tom..

Yeah, I know... The helium fireball was more of a wild thought than anything. LOL. I'd never attempt that inside on a stage - too easy for something to go wrong...

But yeah, you guys have been of great help!

If anyone else has anything to add from this topic, go ahead. =]

Oh, and I found the thread Dave was telling me about... It's here.

From reading that thread, and other threads on the same topic, some of the things (chemicals) that people have recomended to rub on the balloon to have it pop seconds later are Rubber Cement, WD-40, Goo Gone, and Medo’s Ultra-Citrus.

-Vinnie
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I never tried flash glue on a balloon before. It might work without popping the balloon. Maybe flash cotton is better to use with your effect instead of flash paper. I could be wrong. I just want to give some more ideas you might want to experiment with.

Electric sparkle additive might not be a good idea because one of the sparks might last long enough to get on the dove. Of course confetti inside of the balloon is safer for the dove than electric sparkle additive.

Dynamike
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Yeah, confetti works..just make sure you tell the client they are going to need a good vacuum clear after the show! *haha* Oh, and never use glitter unless you are in competition or on a stage. Glitter gets EVERYWHERE and it will show up all over peoples faces somehow (even those that were sitting in the back!). Its kind of funny, but the cleanup however is AWEFUL!
mattsharpe
View Profile
New user
Paradise, Newfoundland
72 Posts

Profile of mattsharpe
Just a note, helium is non-flammable.

However, the other well known gas which is, is Hydrogen(Used in the famous Hindenburg).
Matt
mattsharpe
View Profile
New user
Paradise, Newfoundland
72 Posts

Profile of mattsharpe
I was just reading over this post again, as I was thinking about the tack idea to pop the balloon when I got an idea.

When you want to load the flash paper onto the round balloon, just imagine yourself blowing up a balloon. You have your right hand holding the balloon to your lips, and your left hand is basically bracing the balloon at the opposite side. What you could do is steal the flash paper(with tape on it) and clip it at the base of your index and middle fingers(tape facing your palm). Then as you blow up the balloon, with your left hand clipping the flash paper, you brace the balloon with your left hand and when fully inflated you just stick it on.

Then at this point all you have to do, is leave the paper on the balloon towards yourself so the audience doesn't see, then light it with a match.

Try it out and tell me how it works.
Matt
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Matt, good idea but the only problem is that the balloon will pop before the match hits the flash paper because of the heat. The heat will melt the latex before you actually get to the flash paper, so you'll be left with a piece of paper in your hand, and of course you won't have fire left because the balloon popping will put out the flame. I've tried many different ideas because this is an effect that I use during my act, and I just K.I.S.S.ed it (Kept It Simple Stupid). No point in getting too fancy with popping the balloon. Sometimes being straight forward and simple is the best medicine and the strongest effect.

For timing issues, I just use a "Needle-through-Balloon" needle, but don't actually do the Needle-Through-balloon effect. When I pull it out, the audience covers their ears every single time.

When using fire on the balloon, you must pay CLOSE attention because depending on the balloon makeup itself, the latex may not be able to take a close proximatey to heat. For instance - You buy a bag of $2.00 balloons that are made, of course in quantities. Some of those balloons may not be the same thickness as others in the same package. Some will malfunction, some will develop a hole as you blow them up fully (always at least blow them up partially before you perform to make sure you have a good balloon). Then comes the issue of the surface area of the balloons. Some areas may be thicker than others, so the balloon may pop and startle you before you were expecting, so you have to make sure you are paying attention when it pops so that you can steal at the same time.

Didn't know there was a science to it, huh? *haha*

Also, fire causes a balloon to pop differently than a pin or needle. When you place a hole in a pressured balloon, the air will escape from that hole first, hence - POP! Fire, on the other hand melts a hole so causing a weaker area in the balloon BEFORE it pops so the pressure inside actually POPS the balloon. So, umm, what is the difference? - The "pop" itself. When you use a needle, the pop will "control" the pieces of the balloon to go the opposite way of the hole made (meaning you pop "left" the majority of the pieces go "right" (sort of like a jet plane when they take off - the rear pressure out one end is forcing it to go forward in a certain direction). When you use fire, the pop is scattered so you have more pieces flying about. Not that this is any concern, but I have gotten pieces of balloon in the face from using fire, and never from a needle. Try it yourself and you'll see what I mean. Also a Fire Pop is more intense than a needle pop.

Ok, enough of the science teaching...*haha*
Vinnie will figure something out!
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Thanks for the ideas guys..

And Tom, that science is interesting! Haha!

But Tom, when you said that the pop from the balloon will put out the flame, I don't think that is entirely true. I taped about a 3x2 inch peice of flash paper ont he balloon, and when it popped, the rest of the flash paper was still lit, and basically, there was a fireball flung out infront of me with the balloon pieces. LOL, so my advice: don't use too large of a peice of flash paper; a small bit will do.

Matt, I like the idea about bracing the balloon as its blown up. I'll try that.

Still thinking,
-Vinnie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Balloon to Dove - Pop Barehanded? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL