We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Roughing Fluid on Multiplying balls? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
Hello all,
I am in a bit of trouble, I am going to get a set of Fakini(sp?) balls in the future, but for now I am using a set of wooden 1.5 inch multiplying balls that I get at the nearest magic shop for $12. They work fine, but I drop them more then I wish, because they are VERY (and I mean VERY) slick. I was thinking that a little roughing fluid would make them easier to keep hold of. I have not done this yet, as I wanted some pro advice before doing anything.

Would you suggest doing this to the balls? If not why?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated,
The Great Danton
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
The more you use them the less slick they'll be. To speed up the process, you could knock down the finish by scuffing the balls with a 600 grit wet sandpaper.
POOF!
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

I have noticed that they are not as slick as they were when I first got them..I have some extra-fine steel wool, would that work instead of the sand paper?

Thanks kregg,
Danton
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Maybe, maybe not. What you might do is get some paint from a paint store, the kind used to put on stairs to keep them from being slippery.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Umm...I might look into that al well, I think I might try the steel wool just to see if it works.

If not, anymore help is still appreciated!

The Great Danton
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
Go to a bowling alley and get GRIP IT.Cordially,Howard
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Yiy I wouldn't sand the balls! Unless you're willing to re-paint them... If you do it's only very light sanding!
Do you find that when the balls and your hands get warmed up you drop them less? If they're finished properly then as they're used they'll become more tacky...
I work with wooden balls, and I always rub violin rosin on my hands before performing... perfect grip for the balls, and other wooden props, but doesn't effect cards/ paper/ silk handling.

Paul
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Yes, actually I did notice that if I use them for like 10 minutes, then I don't drop them as much. I have not sanded or used steel wool on them yet, so no worries...

If I used the Violin Rosin before I used cards it wouldn't hurt my card handling? You see, I am working on an act where I do card manipulations then I switch to the multiplying balls. As long as I can still do the card manipulations, I will definitely try the rosin.

I heard from someone I know that there is a manipulators lotion that makes you hands tacky. Has anyone here used it, or know where to get it? Also Paul, how much does the rosin cost?

Thanks,
Danton
casibb3
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of casibb3
Danton: Re the billiard Ball handling. Try a bit of Rose water-glycerine solution.
Can be found at drug stores. Rub some on your hands before the act.

Anotheer possible remedy if yur hands are dry, try Amlactin, comes in a tube, non greasy, but keeps hands a bit moist. Another drug store item.

Frank
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Try hair gel or palmade. just a dab might do the trick.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Wow, thanks for all the replies! I will be trying as many of these ideas as I can in the next few days. I'll let you all know the out come!

Thanks again!
The Great Danton
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Nothing beats Rosin, and it's only a few pounds for a hunk that'll last you forever.

In my act I work with paper before going on to wood, so you'll be fine to go from cards to balls... of course rehearse it all together...

Rose water/ glycerine mix works, but can only delay a burst of sweaty palms syndrome. Avoid moist hands when working with cards... dry works best as there is less friction (try split fans in gloves, so easy!). You only need grip on the pad of your thumb and along the side of your index finger with card manips. The dry tacky of the rosin is perfect.

Oh, almost forgot! One word of warning... alway's remember to wash your hands, the rosin is poisonous!!

Paul
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Oh thanks for the warning..I wouldn't want to forget about having it on my hands....

I'm going to a music store in a couple of days so I'll look for some there. =>

Thanks for your help guys, you all are the best!

The Great Danton
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Roughing Fluid on Multiplying balls? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL