The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Vanishing cane (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Silver_Fang
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio
282 Posts

Profile of Silver_Fang
I was wondering if you could take a strip of flash paper and use it as a cap for the vanishing cane?

I am trying to make a one handed vanish in a shower of sparks any help will be apreciated.
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Hmmm... Well, that's a tough question...

I understand you probly want to be holding the cane from the bottom so that it is upright and you are going to light the cap (flash paper) and let it collapse into your hand for the vanish?

Well, there are some variables to look at for this... One of the main ones is that Flash Paper certinly will not be able to hold the cane in the open position - afterall, it's paper, so without the actual cap, it will no stay open.

So, depending on how you want to ignite the flash paper, from what it sounds like you want to do now, probly wont work... The only thing I could really help you on is the shower of sparks can be created by using some Electric Sparkle Additive.

Best,
-Vinnie
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
I saw Joseph Gabriel do that. He does it in this video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-llB-9epD-M

Hope this helps.

Best
Brandon
The Wagsters: World Class Magic & Illusion
www.wagstermagic.com
Silver_Fang
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio
282 Posts

Profile of Silver_Fang
That is what I wanted to do I know that flash paper is brittle but what if you double up and use scotch or masking tape. Also are fantasio canes fire proof?
Steve Anderson
View Profile
New user
Gun Barrel City
22 Posts

Profile of Steve Anderson
I would suggest a metal cane as I would think the Fantasio cane would be damaged by the Flash paper.
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Well, that looked a little bit to me like more of a torch on the end of it, rather than flash paper... That little bit of flash paper wouldnt really burn for that long, I don't think...

-Vinnie
rhiro
View Profile
Regular user
Southern California
160 Posts

Profile of rhiro
What if you were to make a cap out of flashpaper, cap the end of the vanishing cane with it, then tie a loop or two of flash string around the cap?

Ross
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
I just tried it and it burns off the paint on the cane and makes the film curl up.
I don't know what you could do?

Best
Brandon
www.wagstermagic.com
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-04-28 21:32, WagsterMagic wrote:
I just tried it and it burns off the paint on the cane and makes the film curl up.
I don't know what you could do?

Best
Brandon

Use a metal cane. =]

-Vinnie
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
That would probably work better.

Best
Brandon
www.wagstermagic.com
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
I hae found that a paper clip will hold open a vanishing candle. I suspect it would work for a cane as well. This will allow you make the mock cap out of flash paper as you intended. You will just need to be able to pull the paper clip off the cane to execute the vanish.
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
DonHarlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
296 Posts

Profile of DonHarlan
There was once a cap that fit over the top of the old metal vanishing canes, built similar to a modern flint flasher. I know its not just a piece of paper but it does everything you are looking for including the shower of sparks.
“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.”-Tom Robbins
<BR>
<BR>“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering".-Robert A. Heinlein
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
This can be done both with a fantasio cane and/or metal cane. In Harry Lorayne - Apocalypse Vol 1-5 there is a description how to do it with a fantasio cane. Personaly I do it with a metal cane.
To be able to do it with a metal cane you also nead some flash cord as the paper is not strong enough to cold the cane open.

As we are on the subject of flashes and canes here are a great litle piece for those of you that co the coloschanging cane. Make a "shell cap" out of flach papper that fit over your regulag cap but is slitly longer abels it to hold the gimick. hold the cane in one end tutching the cane (flashpaper) to a candle. flash and the cane changes collor.
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8307 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Yes, it's right out of APOCALYPSE. Joseph Gabriel has been using it in his act for decades. HL
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Vanishing cane (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL