The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Buying a dove (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stephen Williams
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Stephen Williams
Hi all,
Sorry if this has been asked before.
Does anyone know of a source to where I can buy a dove? I have read a lot into them and thought they would go perfect into my stage show, as people don’t expect a performer as young as me to produce a one. I have been told to stay away from pet shop doves, so if anyone could give me any information on where to purchase one it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ste
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
If you are sure you have the time and patience to work with doves, then go for it. You said you've read a lot so I'm assuming you have all of the basics, Tony Clark, Andy Amyx, and the Encyclopedia of dove magic to name a few. If you have, you are headed in the right direction. Remember you need to spend time everyday with your dove(s) not to mention the cleanup, vet bills, food, vitamins and general care and training. I know that isn't your question but some many kids try think they are ready for dove magic until they get one. It's too late at that point.

You are correct. You should stay away from pet shop doves. You don't know where they came from, anything about their history or their age. Try to find another magician in your area that works with doves. Very often, a dove worker will have extra birds or will be willing to raise one for you. Check the internet and/or you pet store for dove breeders or breeders of birds. They will probably know if there are any dove breeders in your area.
Where the magic begins
Stephen Williams
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Thanks for your advice and quick reply.
Thanks again,
Ste
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
If there are no dove magicians in the area, would it be a good idea to ask a dove release agency? I though they might have a dove or two for sell, or know a good place to get them.

Thanks,
Danton
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
That's sounds like a good idea to locate doves.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Yes, dove release agencies might have a source for doves. Be aware however, that the birds they use are not type of doves that magicians use. I wouldn't suggest useing those in your act. I believe they are larger than normal doves as well and that alone could be a problem.
Where the magic begins
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Danton, if you are ever in the Charlotte area of North Carolina, where I reside, I can PM you a Phone number for the shop here that carries doves year round. The doves are hand raised by a breeder...
WKM
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester Uk
138 Posts

Profile of WKM
Sparks,

PM Me, I know a Great Dove Breader in Wales who will be happy to supply you doves for Magic, I get all mine from Him.

Liam
Liam Ball MMC

www.w-k-m.co.uk

Not a belief - An Experience!
Stephen Williams
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Thanks, I have sent you a PM.
Ste
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
I did not know that dove release agencies used larger doves, that's good to know! Thanks Dave.

Hey 1906Alpha1906 I sent you a PM, I do in fact go down that way sometimes, usually on Saturdays though..

Thanks guys!
Danton
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Buying a dove (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL