The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Making a dog appear (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
For someone new to illusions, where should I be looking to find a way to make a real live dog appear on stage. What is the dollhouse illusion? Could that be adapted to a doghouse and make a dog appear? What other ideas are out there?

Josh
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Yes with a well trained dog. I'd say some form of mirror box or variation on squared circle would be simplest for a lessor trained dog.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Moth
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Moth
The size and temperment of the dog will matter a great deal in choosing the right method. Is the dog to be on his own, or accompanied (AKA how will he get out)? What kind of sequence are you looking to do?

A tip trunk could also be easy..or not, depending on the dog.
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
852 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
We used to produce a small dog using a mini Lion's Bride illusion. The nice thing about it is that the dog does not need to be as well trained.

Lou
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
A cage appearance is sure way.. or even a fire cage. There is a sample on magicauction.com in outside usa builder unknown.
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
As Moth said....i would recommend a Tip over box/trunk.
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
Could you build your own cage appearance?

Or Tip over box?
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
The Pendragons produce their big dog from a Blammo Box.
vj022
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of vj022
Well, Rosie O'Donell's leaving the View, maybe she's looking for a new job???
Nyte Dragon
View Profile
New user
Tampa, Fl
66 Posts

Profile of Nyte Dragon
All really nice suggestions. I would deffinatly second the Blammo Box and mini Lion's Bride. I'll be using one of the two once I get my Eskies
Patrick Miller
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Patrick Miller
Malloy Modern Magic makes a fire cage that is modified just for animals. Check out their site. http://www.malloymodernmagic.com
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
Or for a lot less go to Dream Illusions!
Daktari
View Profile
Regular user
USA
154 Posts

Profile of Daktari
Osborne Illusion Systems has plans for a variation of the tip trunk (The Vanishing Dog) that is used as a dog vanish/appearance. I built it for another animal and it works well.
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Thanks so much for the responses. Are there places where I can see video demos of the Blammo box and Lion's Bride? Would my dog have to be trained to move into a specific compartment at a particular time? He's not the brightest bulb in the chandelier. (He does an awesome card trick, though.)

So am I right that the Doll House illusion would not work? I love the idea of it being a dog house. I'd much rather produce him from something logical than from a random magic apparatus. How do you illusionists get around the non-sequitur aspect of the thing?

Thanks so much,

Josh
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
How about Blammo box in the shape of dog house (walls)???
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
While you would not want to use a Fred Culpit style Doll House for humans as a production device of a large dog (it doesn't bend in the knees like a human and doesn't really enjoy sitting on its tail), it MIGHT be used for a small dog. A small lap dog could be held by the human inhabitant while the house is shown empty, then could be deposited inside the house so that the dog makes its appearance first, followed a second or two later by your assistant.

If that's not possible, then you might want to design your own Dog House Illusion based on something like the Bunny Box (see Chocolate Bunny Box in Jim Gerrish's Hardboard and Duct Tape Book 1 on my site). The advantage to making it yourself is that you can prototype it in cardboard to make sure your dog will go along with the idea, and also you can build it to the exact size you need for the dog.

Rather than make it look like the oven showing in the photo on my site, you would instead make it look like a dog house. You could also make it look like a dog carrier and actually use it to transport the dog to and from the show, as well as have the dog appear from it during the show.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Mr. Joshua:

A regular doll house might work. However, usually, the "gimmick" inside is manipulated by a girl, so everything is clean when the top and front doors are opened. To do this with a dog, you would have to quickly reach in and take care of business before a full reveal. Meanwhile, the dog is probably wanting to jump out...
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Yes, I've got a 75 lb lab with lots of energy, so it would have to be something that does not depend upon him being perfectly still until the reveal. I'm not sure if he'll go for any of this, but he loves attention, and his card trick is so awesome that if I ever work him into my show, I'd love to have him appear before moving on to his card trick.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
There's too much you're not telling us that would be needed to make a practical suggestion on this. We don't know the dog's size or behaviors, or what he is or is not capable of contributing to an illusion of this sort. For example, if you could get the dog to run through a tunnel and crash through a tissue-paper covered hoop, AND if you are on a stage with a black backdrop and the correct lighting for a black art effect, then you could perform a simple hula hoop appearance that would be both funny and magical. However, you're better off starting him out on something self-contained until you see how he behaves on stage. In that case, a cage appearance seems to be called for, but not having seen or worked with the dog, I really don't know what other options you have.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Making a dog appear (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL