The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Flowers? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tenn_ray
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of tenn_ray
Good afternoon, everybody. I'm interested in learning a few sleights using live flowers. I'm doing better than O.K. with coins and cards, and I am looking to expand. I tried using the search, but it had way too many hits. So if anybody has any advice or could point me in a direction, I would be grateful.
Thanks in advance,
Ray.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Sleights with flowers varies with size and type of flower and length of stem. That is presuming we are talking real flowers or silk or plastic artifical flowers, if you are talking feather or spring flowers it is a whole different ball of wax. Most sleights with real/plastic/silk flowers are going to be similar to flip stick routines, or in some cases you can find ball manipulation for shorter stem flowers, like using carnation with a short stem. If you have worked with card and coin sleights, while different you realize there are some similarities in moves. Well the same holds across most sleights. Get a manipultion series like Jeff McBrides and take some of the basic moves and practice them. I'd suggest practice with plastic flowers first, then move on to silk or live flowers if that is your interest. For feather and spring flowers, well these items have their own genre in magic and there are lots of books available that cover use of these.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You may want to extend your search for sources backwards in time; the sleights evolved for doing magic with pipes are just what you need for doing magic with flowers. David Leendert Bamberg was known for his magic with clay pipes (see Tarbell, Vol. 5), but there are other old sources describing various sleights with pipes. Some cigarette handling might also be of value, adapting those moves to the flower stems.

As Photius suggests, practice with plastic flowers to work out the moves.

Eleazar Goodenough uses live flower bouquets in his "Step On It" routine described in The Wizards' Journal #9 on my site when you get ready to think about grand finales.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of 12345
Also, try to use the forum's search button. I've seen "flower magic" threads around.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1347 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
One of the magicians from the Flicking Fingers video has a very nice coin routine that ends with a live rose production from a purse. I really looks great!
All the best,

-Matt
Your One Stop Booze Abusing Comedy Magic Show!
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Check out Patrick Page's DVDs. He's got a good piece about them that's a very natural production.
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
498 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
Unlike using real animals, using real flowers isn't commonly considered a "specialty" of magic. Although some magicians do work with them, I know of no magician that specializes in all types of magic that one can do with real flowers. (My knowledge is not encyclopedic, though. I never knew there was any magician specializing in sea-shell magic until I met Dr. Sawa.)

But odds are, there won't be any books or videos on the various things you can do with flowers. So, you will have to collect from various sources and try to adapt other specialties (wands, sticks, stem-glasses, etc.) to flowers.

One thing that seems like it would lend itself to flowers is floating/levitating magic. It's a specialty that is pretty popular these days, so there should be a wealth of material here on the forums that will give good sources for further study.

Good luck!
Bill
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2008-01-21 20:53, Billgussen wrote:
But odds are, there won't be any books or videos on the various things you can do with flowers.

I beg to differ. In the Wizards' Journal #14, you will find an e-Article called "Flower Power" which lists most of the standard magic effects currently performed with feather or spring flowers and shows you how you can perform the same effect using real live flowers, or using realistic silk or plastic artificial flowers.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
498 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
I stand corrected. I'm glad there's something out there.

Bill
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
If performing magic with live roses is your thing, I'd definitely check out "Rose Magic" by Monty. Has lots of good effects using real live flowers. Practice with fake flowers first, or it will become VERY expensive. Here is a link to the video demo as well as where to purchase this effect:

http://www.montysmagic.com/shopping/magic_rose.html

Robert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Flowers? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL