The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Time and Space" by Justin Miller (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
TheManWithoutFear
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of TheManWithoutFear
This is a review of the card effect “Time and Space” created by Justin Miller. I picked this effect up at a lecture that Justin Miller had in Michigan earlier this month. I highly recommend the lecture as well, but onto the review.

Effect:
An unidentified card is set aside to represent the future and is sandwiched between both jokers. A second card is chosen from the deck and signed by the spectator. This card is lost in the deck. The magician then uses the ability to “time travel” and switch this signed card with the unidentified one that has been in plain sight the whole time. The kicker is that the signed card then becomes an amalgam of both jokers and the original signed card. And to top it off, the spectator gets to keep it as a souvenir.

What you get:
You receive a DVD explaining the routine and enough of the “special something” to perform the routine ten times.

Difficulty:
This card effect is well within the grasp of anyone willing to put a little time into practicing the routine. I would say this is a wonderful trick for beginners as well as the advanced card magician.

Presentation:
The “Time and Space” DVD lays out the entire routine in great detail. Justin explains the moves clearly and, more importantly, the rationale behind the moves. No stone is left unturned and after one viewing you will be dying to fry someone with this effect. The teaching style used in this DVD is laid back and, for the lack of a better word, “friendly”. I say “friendly” because the entire time I was watching the DVD I felt like I was learning from someone I had known for years. Justin’s humble style of teaching makes this a great effect for the beginner. At no point in the DVD did I feel overwhelmed or that I was being left behind. Also, Justin has a way of describing the situation that is taking place during a performance that really adds insight into how to present the routine and get the most out it in the end. The suggested patter is useful and allows for variation depending on how you want to use the card effect.

The only negative comment that I could say about the trick is, and I think I am really being nitpicky here, is that the DVD that presents the routine did not have a menu and was not divided up into chapters or scenes. This made reviewing any one specific part of the trick more difficult then if you could just choose a specific moment from a menu. I got the opportunity to talk to Justin regarding this matter and he was extremely forth coming with information. He told me that the DVDs were prepared quickly to accommodate his very hectic lecture schedule and that he has re-shoots planned for DVDs of this effect and many others available on his website. He told me that once the re-shoots took place he would be sending me copies which will have all the bells and whistles including menus and chapter selections. Sounds like a great solution to me.

Thanks for a great routine Justin and thanks for the great customer service.

Michael Smith
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
843 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
From another board:

Justin Miller's Time and Space - my review

$30 From Justin Miller's site:
http://www.closeupjm.com/products.htm

What you get:

DVD with plastic case
10 gimmicked cards in envelope

---- The DVD ----

The DVD runs 32 minutes and includes a performance demonstration, and the explanation. Justin explains everything thoroughly but he does tell you to lay the deck down face up, claims it's important then lays the deck face down accidentally. He also has no sharpie available to sign the card, so he uses a pen. Nitpicking but hey...

I have issues with the demo - it cuts out in four places. The first cut is at 1:54 to sign the card, which is logical to hurry along because it's repetitive and the signature process in this routine is slightly more complex than normal types.

The other three cuts at 2:41, 2:52, and 3:30 appear to be for no reason and I'm unsure why they exist. In fact, one of the cuts is after you lay down the jokers, and my negativity immediately assumed "DOH he touches that card and he just cut that portion out". But in fact, you don't touch the card on the table until the final reveal. Justin later explained that the cuts were for brevity sake, to move the demo along quicker.

---- The Cards ----

You get 10 cards free with your purchase, which allow 10 signed performances before you run out. Justin claims more cards are available 52 for $20 on the DVD, but he's since raised the price to $20 per 30. So the net cost for a signed performance is 67 cents vs the old 38 cents, a 56% cost increase. In addition the cards are noted to be sold out on his site at the time of my review.

The cards are standard Bicycle stock, and Bicycle themselves printed these so they're good quality and will last a long time until actually used. If you were to perform this without your spectator signing the cards, the enclosed 10 will suffice forever. But in reality, the real power and performance comes with your spec's signature, and handing them the card as a souvenir.

---- Difficulty ----

The sleights used are fairly simple and easy to learn. But the real power of this effect is the whole time travel storyline, which provides your spectators with excitement and intrigue. You'll need to learn Justin's routining and patter, then obviously customize it to your own style which will take a few hours of practice. If you're uncomfortable with multiple card lifts, you can always toss the pen at your spectator and tell them to remove the cap as a distraction.

---- Angles ----

Can be done at a table or standing, I assume using two spectator's hands. Can be done surrounded, naked with proper routining.

---- Reset ----

Justin shows you how to prepare for another performance via having multiple gimmicked and prepared setups in a separate wallet.

---- Performance ----

I tried this effect on a friend after a few hours practicing, and he examined the final card for a long time. He also text me twice this morning asking how I did it. You could tell he's been carrying that final card around, and it made a powerful impression in his mind. Justin says he gets standing ovations from this trick, and it's obvious why - this is insane powerful.

Also performed this last night for a nephew, who said, "Dude, I'll PAY YOU if you show me how you did that!".

---- Conclusion ----

Time and Space is one of the most powerful effects I've run across in a while. Yes, you insert their signed card into the deck, let them peek at it one more time and it suddenly vanishes, appearing between two jokers on the table.

This effect is a complete steal for $30, but having the spectator sign the card will cost you 67 cents per performance once your 10 free cards run out. Alternatively you can just do it without an unsigned card but you are losing quite a bit of punch in the process.

Overall I can't possibly recommend this effect enough. If you're a card person, buy it, buy it and buy it. You'll have the absolute coolest effect to floor a spectator hidden in your arsenal. One version where the card vanishes and re-appears, along with a potent signed version for when you absolutely must kill a large audience. Seriously, the routine alone is worth $30.

---- Additional Ideas ----

I've developed a couple extra handling ideas.

First: Grab a four pack of sharpies, let the spectator choose a color then go into an ACR routine. Follow up with Time and Space, having a separate setup for each color sharpie.

Second: Use a no-palm loading wallet to load your setup onto the deck. This allows a spectator to shuffle cards before hand.

Third: Use roughing fluid creatively, and spread vs count the cards.

Fourth: Buy a plastic fly from the dollar store, and use a "Fly" theme about two pods and a traveler between them. Jokers serve as pod operators. At the end the traveler becomes morphed ...
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6968 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
If you don't feel the need to give away the card at the end, you could put a sticker on the card and have the spectator sign that.

Sounds like a great effect!
TheManWithoutFear
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Thanks for the additional review Doug! Very indepth and informative. I appreciate the link as well. I had planned to add that but I completely forgot.

I can't speak highly enough for this routine. I got the opportunity to see Justin perform this routine in person during his lecture. The reaction from the person he had asked to help him with the trick was awesome. People are really blown away by the gaff. I think the fact that no one has seen a card like this gaff before is what really adds that extra "umppff" to the kicker ending. On top of all that, I really enjoy practicing this routine.
I agree that this routine is a steal at $30. Everyone should check out this effect.
If the effects are going to be of this caliber, keep 'em coming Justin.

Michael Smith
daghank
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of daghank
Is it hard to do this trick without a table?Because from what Ive seen of the demo video you MUST have a table for fusing part or am I wrong?
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
843 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
From another board:

"You ARE NOT limited to doing this sitting down. In fact I stand up when performing this. - Justin N. Miller"
daghank
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of daghank
Oh so that means you can do this pretty much surrounded. I guess Ive seen a wrong move there.
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
843 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
Quote:
On 2007-05-05 14:45, daghank wrote:
Oh so that means you can do this pretty much surrounded. I guess Ive seen a wrong move there.

You saw the correct move, but there's 2 other methods of doing that particular item. One of which would be possible standing up.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Justin is one of the great minds in magic today.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
daghank
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of daghank
Quote:
On 2007-05-05 15:26, DougNicols wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-05-05 14:45, daghank wrote:

You saw the correct move, but there's 2 other methods of doing that particular item. One of which would be possible standing up.

Is it possible to do that move with a table when youre surrounded?Is there such a variation on DVD? I already ordered Time and Space but cant wait to see it myself Smile
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
843 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
Quote:
On 2007-05-05 16:13, daghank wrote:

Is it possible to do that move with a table when youre surrounded?Is there such a variation on DVD? I already ordered Time and Space but cant wait to see it myself Smile

Yes, you'll be using the variation of that move taught on the DVD. Good surrounded, standing, just about any situation. Now if you CAN get away with the one shown on the demo, in my opinion that's the superior method. I've made some really confused spectators with the demo method.
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
Just a heads up... I just finished shooting The Cloak, Time and Space and X-Marks The Spot with Kozmo magic. No more home videos. Pro..shot and detailed to a tee..and yes..menus!

Justin N. Miller
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
This may be a great routine, but the service is lacking. I ordered over a month and it's still not here.

I buy lots of magic and everybody always get it to me quickly.

I think this is ridiculous. I won't be buying from Justin Miller anymore.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
TheManWithoutFear
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Xiqual,

I would shoot Justin a PM if I were you. He has always answered my questions and addressed my concerns promptly. When you do receive "Time and Space" I would love to read what you thought about it.

Michael Smith
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Me too . . .

thanks in advance

Andy
Cards never lie
jimbowmanjr
View Profile
Veteran user
Inside the Bottle
320 Posts

Profile of jimbowmanjr
Quote:
On 2007-05-14 19:38, Xiqual wrote:
This may be a great routine, but the service is lacking. I ordered over a month and it's still not here.

James

Have you contacted Justin privately to talk to him about your order? Would seem the logical thing to do instead of bashing a hard-working honest guy on a public forum....just my opinion though.

--Jim
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
558 Posts

Profile of Motor City
Quote:
On 2007-05-14 15:02, jussy wrote:
... I just finished shooting The Cloak, Time and Space and X-Marks The Spot with Kozmo magic...

This is great news! Kozmo Magic really knows how to produce a dvd!
whateverisisright
View Profile
Regular user
Savannah, Georgia
132 Posts

Profile of whateverisisright
Quote:
On 2007-05-14 19:38, Xiqual wrote:

James

Did you order Time And Space by itself or with Triune (it comes free with purchase). If you ordered it with Triune, there IS a month long waiting list. If you ordered it alone, contact Justin. I'm sure he'll fix whatever the problem is...
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I contacted Justin and he said, "I sent it 6-8 weeks mail, be patient."

I am not bashing anyone, just stating the facts.
You say Justin is a "hard working honest guy" I think we all are. I know I am.
what about you?
I spent my hardworked honest money on his effect, paid $5 for shipping and it's been five weeks.

Some people overseas might not like that. There are too many fast shipping dealers
with great magic around to put my "Hardworking honest " money into this kind of deal.

Just my two cents,
James
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Justin refunded my money. He requested that I send the effect back when it arrives. I will do so if he pays for the shipping.

What a hassle. I should stick with Hocus Pocus.

Back to the hardworking comment. I have four kids, the youngest is 15 months. My wife and I take care of them ourselves, no nanny, no maid.
I work 7 days a week and love it.

I'm not being personal about Justin, I'm sure he is a fine human being. I am commenting on Close-Up Artist Productions service. It's terrible.

That's all for me.
James
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Time and Space" by Justin Miller (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL