The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Your favorites (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jake12
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Jake12
What is your favorite kids show effect to do and why?
There are three stages in a magician's career.
"Who is he?" "There he is!" and "My god is he still around?"
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I have found purely by accident, because I learned the routine to impress adults that kids understand "fiber optics" and even the 4 year olds hoot, and holler when they see the rope just jump out of my hands seemingly on it's own.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Tyler's Silken Saga. All the way.

I can't say why without showing you my right hand.

George
Jake12
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Jake12
My favorite is the vanshing bandanna, not just because of the trick I like that it gets some of the parents to laugh at what the kids are doing. My other favorite would be sword-thru neck.
There are three stages in a magician's career.
"Who is he?" "There he is!" and "My god is he still around?"
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Jake
I'm surprised that you can still get away with that bandanna trick, because the element of surprise is essential for it to work.
Al Angello
amazingvijay
View Profile
Regular user
N. California Bay Area
180 Posts

Profile of amazingvijay
My favorite effect is Hippity Hop Rabbits but the kids seem to like Botania the best.

Vijay
N California Bay Area magician
http://www.amazingvijay.com
devlinn
View Profile
Regular user
Orangeville, ON
118 Posts

Profile of devlinn
Misers Dream.
Huge audience participation ala Chris Capehart.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Probably "Picto-Chango", the Mark Trimble version of Picto-Transpo. Either that or the Axtell "Magic Drawing Board", what a reaction that gets. Also, they'll ALWAYS remember you for "when you burned up that girl's/teacher's/boy's shoe if you use a Wiz Kote! Literally, for YEARS, they'll remember that.

Steve
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1867 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Steve you are so right. love the wiz coat.

Where did you get your picto chango from? I have one of marks as well
Ken
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Miser's Dream done with an empty (ungimmicked) coffee can! To keep in practice, and to keep from driving others crazy from the noise, I took the top and bottom off another can and put the plastic cover thingy on the bottom along with an old washcloth. Not silent but it's my best concession I could come up with.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2007-05-02 19:07, kenscott wrote:
Steve you are so right. love the wiz coat.

Where did you get your picto chango from? I have one of marks as well
Ken
Picto-Transpo is a Gene Anderson effect, and you can still buy it from him. He is the one who invented it, and never got a penny from Mark Trimble for it, though he was supposed to. Gene's version is much better, also (not talking about the one he teaches you to make in his lecture - I am talking about the ones he makes/sells). I love doing Picto-Transpo, but I think my favorite effect is actually another Gene Anderson effect - the torn and restored newspaper. It is very visual and clean, and always gets a great reaction. Even a preschooler understands that paper is not supposed to be able to be restored like that.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
I like Gene Anderson's "star" cut from a folded newspaper and use it for a photo-op for the birthday child after promising to "make him a star." I think Ken Scott uses the newspaper star also.

Oops! I rambled away from the Post again.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Ken,

I got my Picto-Chango from Mark Trimble himself. I've heard the whole story about the mishandlings of the deal between Mark and Gene directly from Gene. I do have to say that the one Gene is now making is good, but Marvello, it doesn't compare to having the colored bags and frames! Those make the effect SO MUCH stronger, too! Especially for kids, the visual change of your blue picture to their red picture is wonderful. It's almost a perfect magic effect. Perform surrounded, it's visual, lots of comedic potential, but not so much as to overpower the magical part of the effect. Reset is a slight pain (but be sure to use the popup wipes for dry-erase boards!), but nothing more than carrying a little tub of wipes around. Plays to birthday parties or on stage.

There were also 3 different Trimble versions of this. One had colored aluminum frames, one had silver-colored metal frames and the last and most DELUXE was the one with wooden frames. Some had the small place on the rear to sign (like 4" by 6"), with mine, you have the entire rear of the board to sign.

Anyway, it's obviously one of my favorite effects to use for any age group.

Steve
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2007-04-30 09:56, Jake12 wrote:
What is your favorite kids show effect to do and why?

Usually these posts come from newbies trying to fill their bucket with tricks having put no effort into any research about anything.

for this reason I never answer posts like this unless the poster is willing to cough up what they ALREADY consider several of their own favorite tricks.

So Jake12... prove me wrong. What are your killer routines that we should know about before we start giving you our ideas?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
The BEST things I love most about all good kid show entertainers is "the business" there is nothing like a darn good gag. George, Kimmo, and Nick Johnson, have made me laugh out loud watching the videos of their Kid shows. It's always the business and the personality. Kimmo is fast, fast, fast, and SUPER funny, George is so laid back and quick with the SHARP smart humor, and NOBODY throws a skull like Nick Johnson.

I don't care what tricks they are doing, I'd pay money to watch any one of these guys paint a barn. Smile

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Frank,

If he/she is a newbie, I hope they can convince somebody to buy 'em a Wiz Kote. Maybe someday they'll be able to FIND a Picto-Chango (slim chance of that), OR, they'll have to be able to use some kind of sound system in conjunction with their performance to be able to use an Axtell "Magic Drawing Board", so I guess I'm safe with my 3 choices...of course, I do love the situation where I can use my Collector's Workshop "Jumbo Sidekick". If it's a newbie, maybe mom and/or dad or rich uncle will spring for that, too!

Steve
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2007-05-02 22:48, Stevethomas wrote:
Ken,

I got my Picto-Chango from Mark Trimble himself. I've heard the whole story about the mishandlings of the deal between Mark and Gene directly from Gene. I do have to say that the one Gene is now making is good, but Marvello, it doesn't compare to having the colored bags and frames! Those make the effect SO MUCH stronger, too! Especially for kids, the visual change of your blue picture to their red picture is wonderful. It's almost a perfect magic effect. Perform surrounded, it's visual, lots of comedic potential, but not so much as to overpower the magical part of the effect. Reset is a slight pain (but be sure to use the popup wipes for dry-erase boards!), but nothing more than carrying a little tub of wipes around. Plays to birthday parties or on stage.

There were also 3 different Trimble versions of this. One had colored aluminum frames, one had silver-colored metal frames and the last and most DELUXE was the one with wooden frames. Some had the small place on the rear to sign (like 4" by 6"), with mine, you have the entire rear of the board to sign.

Anyway, it's obviously one of my favorite effects to use for any age group.

Steve
I think that the colored frames and colored bags look tacky, personally - like a pizza delivery person. I like Gene's because it can't rub off or smear, and it looks like magic with everyday ordinary objects - Trimble's look like props. I am also a friend of Gene's, and would hate to perform an effect that I KNOW to be a ripoff.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Colleagues, as a newbie I have to rise in defense of Jake12. There seems to be a bit of anti-newbie sentiment on the board. All I can say is that you were all newbies once too, and hopefully benefitted from someone "taking you under their wings" (one contemporary equivalent is answering some general questions on this board). I admit that I make my living elsewhere and thus probably have lower stakes in this debate than full-timers (and in my area we also have an ambivalence towards newbies, as in all professions, no doubt).

But if magic is to survive as an art, the enthusiasm of the newbies is also needed. They're/we're the next generation, and an appreciation of the excellence reached by all of you requires an audience sophisticated enough to be able to understand how awesome some of you really are. So help us learn to appreciate the techniques many of you really have mastered, get a perspective on the history and context of this fantastic craft, and help keep the art form we all love (and newbies often make up in passion what they/we lack in experience) going strong.

There, off my high horse. It's just that I haven't been on the board too long, and not to pick on anyone, but this anti-newbie attitude is somewhat generalized. It's understandable, but also, it seems to me - at least if newbies are trying to learn, recognizing and appreciating help when it's given, and "giving back" however they can - then they shouldn't be adversely judged just for being "new" and unsophisticated. Think back, some of you crafty vets, to your beginnings. I'll bet they were humble too. Many of us may not make it to your leagues, but a few of us will, and even those of us who don't can be some of your most appreciative fans.

Thanks for listening. I'll retreat and resume my usual stance of watching, listening, and learning from the many of you who really are at the top of this craft.

All in the spirit of helping advance the cause,

Mumblemore
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Also, sorry Jake12 if you are not a "newbie" at all. We really don't know how long you've been in magic (and you shouldn't have to answer for yourself). I'm a newbie and while I'm not necessarily proud of it, it's nothing to be ashamed of, right?

I'm learning a lot from people like Frank Starsini and Stevethomas, and contributing where I can (not that often, but I need a few years to get up to speed . . .).
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Danny is right, people talk about a great magician, or a great magic show, no one remembers the tricks. The magician with the ability to spin a yarn is the whole show to me.
Al Angello
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Your favorites (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL