The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Your favorites (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Don't take my posts wrong, I have nothing against newbies at all. I was merely following along with the other post. We need newbies to continue this art of entertainment...we ain't spring chickens anymore, ya know!

You're completely wrong about the Mark Trimble "Picto-Chango" set. Nothing tacky about it at all, and if you think "ordinary objects" would include a pair of small "ordinary" (can't tell 'em apart so the magician could've switched 'em) dry-erase boards that somebody would keep in little bags (in their ordinary home). The dry erase boards people are used to seeing have shiny metal frames, not wood. The "ripoff" aspect, well, when these were made and sold, they were NOT a "ripoff". Mark and Gene had a deal for Gene to be paid an amount for each numbered set sold. Now, AFTER they were all gone, THEN they would be ripoffs. I can't imagine not paying the originator for his ideas and the use of them. That's bad.

By the way, Marvello, if you own ANYthing from "Magic Makers", be sure to throw them all away and not use them. They're ripoffs of licensed items.

I'm glad you're a friend of Gene's, but the Trimble version is much more visual when the red picture ends up on the blue framed board and vice versa. The owners of the Trimble set would all agree. Wish I knew how many sets of those he sold. Fantastic idea.

Steve
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2007-05-03 13:14, Stevethomas wrote:
By the way, Marvello, if you own ANYthing from "Magic Makers", be sure to throw them all away and not use them. They're ripoffs of licensed items.

I'm glad you're a friend of Gene's, but the Trimble version is much more visual when the red picture ends up on the blue framed board and vice versa. The owners of the Trimble set would all agree. Wish I knew how many sets of those he sold. Fantastic idea.

Steve
I guess it is a matter of personal taste, but I actually think that the pictures changing, without the frames changing makes it LESS magical. As I said - I think that the Trimble version looks proppy, whereas the Anderson version looks like something you could buy at the stationery store - magic with everyday objects as opposed to a prop. Also, the material that Gene uses for the drawing is not dry-erase, and can't rub off. Also, the tips and ideas and thinking that has gone in to the effect, that gene shares on the DVD is well thought out and very helpful.

As far as magic fakers - I do NOT own anything by them, for the same reason I would never buy or use the Trimble version.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
People tend to make too much of the fact that the drawing won't rub off. The duration of the entire effect is about 10 minutes. When would it have a chance to rub off? I just got back from my local stationery store and looked for dry erase boards with a nicely stained wooden frame that also has bags they fit into. No luck here, maybe you live in a better-supplied part of the country than I do.

As far as looking "proppy". If you were to use a hat as the one in your avatar cartoon...that would also look proppy. Nobody wears a top hat anymore.

If anybody ever finds a Trimble version of the wonderful "Picto-Chango", I suggest you buy it. They're now selling for upwards of $300. I've had one of each, and still have my original deluxe, DELUXE version. I do have one that someone made from the Gene Anderson instructions from his book, back before he made the prop, when that's how you would get it. It uses wooden frames with some posterboard. It even has refills...anybody need it?

Steve
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2007-05-03 16:51, Stevethomas wrote:
People tend to make too much of the fact that the drawing won't rub off. The duration of the entire effect is about 10 minutes. When would it have a chance to rub off? I just got back from my local stationery store and looked for dry erase boards with a nicely stained wooden frame that also has bags they fit into. No luck here, maybe you live in a better-supplied part of the country than I do.

As far as looking "proppy". If you were to use a hat as the one in your avatar cartoon...that would also look proppy. Nobody wears a top hat anymore.

If anybody ever finds a Trimble version of the wonderful "Picto-Chango", I suggest you buy it. They're now selling for upwards of $300. I've had one of each, and still have my original deluxe, DELUXE version. I do have one that someone made from the Gene Anderson instructions from his book, back before he made the prop, when that's how you would get it. It uses wooden frames with some posterboard. It even has refills...anybody need it?

Steve
I do not wear a tophat or bowtie, and I do not wear spats, and I do not hold rabbits by their ears - it is a caricature of me.

The version that Gene Anderson makes/sells does not use posterboard - it uses a teflon surface. The reason that not rubbing off is a big deal, is that is one of the first ways that people assume that the effect is accomplished - when you can show that the drawing does not rub off or smear then that tends to make the effect that much more powerful. Earlier you said that anyone who has the Trimble version feels that it is better than the Anderson version - how would they know if they never saw or handled the version that Gene sells? The version that Gene teaches in his lecture, is NOT the same as the version that he sells - as I said it uses teflon, and you can sign the entire back of the picture, and there have also been many refinements since he first wrote the notes and put out his lecture video. The fact is that the Trimble version is a ripoff - plain and clear, there is no question about that. Sure Gene authorized him to make/sell them, but he also expected to be paid for doing so, and he was not, so it is at best an unethical prop. As I said, it is a matter of personal taste - I prefer something that looks like something you could possibly buy at a stationery store (and so do many other professionals, such as Dennis Loomis), and you seem to prefer something that looks like a pizza delivery person would use - that is your choice.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
Mouth Coil all the way for me. Kids just absolutley love it.

Best
Brandon
The Wagsters: World Class Magic & Illusion
www.wagstermagic.com
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Gene didn't originally sell the item. He taught how to make it using wooden picture frames from the dollar store with the inserts being made from posterboard. That was long before he sold it as a physical prop.

I have handled Gene's prop when I first thought about buying it. I even discussed it in depth with Gene himself, then returned it, since the non-colored frames didn't appeal to me. I haven't seen Gene lecture, but way back when...when he was teaching the method and how to make the props may have been before your time. Gene even suggested that I buy his new version when it first came out (me being one of the largest proponents of this effect) and paint the frames and have bags made. He said he had "no interest in making one like that, but it was a good version". This was probably 3 or 4 years ago when he came out with the updated type boards.

Let me ask you, have you ever handled or used the Mark Trimble version? If not, then you really can't say what the audience thinks about either the "rub-off" problem or the "pizza-bag" suggestion, can you? I can, since I HAVE used both kinds. Not only BOTH, but 3 different types/styles of the Trimble version.

Steve
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2007-05-03 19:09, Stevethomas wrote:
Gene didn't originally sell the item. He taught how to make it using wooden picture frames from the dollar store with the inserts being made from posterboard. That was long before he sold it as a physical prop. I have handled Gene's prop when I first thought about buying it. I even discussed it in depth with Gene himself, then returned it, since the non-colored frames didn't appeal to me. I haven't seen Gene lecture, but way back when...when he was teaching the method and how to make the props may have been before your time. Gene even suggested that I buy his new version when it first came out (me being one of the largest proponents of this effect) and paint the frames and have bags made. He said he had "no interest in making one like that, but it was a good version". This was probably 3 or 4 years ago when he came out with the updated type boards.

Let me ask you, have you ever handled or used the Mark Trimble version? If not, then you really can't say what the audience thinks about either the "rub-off" problem or the "pizza-bag" suggestion, can you? I can, since I HAVE used both kinds. Not only BOTH, but 3 different types/styles of the Trimble version.

Steve
Yes, I have handled/used both versions, and I prefer Gene's. As I said - it is a matter of personal taste. I know the history of the effect, and I used to use a homemade version myself, and I do understand that he did not sell a version of the prop until he came up with the teflon version. If you did not buy Gene's version then you did not see his DVD, which has a ton of great ideas - and since you know Gene you will realize that Gene's way of thinking is very thorough. You obviously enjoy your Trimble version, and that is great, but to suggest that Gene's version is inferior somehow, is just plain wrong. I really can't believe that this discussion has gone on this far, since we both seem to be repeating ourselves, and both agree that the basic effect is great - you do your favorite version, and I will do mine. enjoy!
Jake12
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Jake12
Quote:

Usually these posts come from newbies trying to fill their bucket with tricks having put no effort into any research about anything.

for this reason I never answer posts like this unless the poster is willing to cough up what they ALREADY consider several of their own favorite tricks.

So Jake12... prove me wrong. What are your killer routines that we should know about before we start giving you our ideas?
_____________________________________________________________________________________

I have about 35 kidshow/stage tricks and around 60 closeup. I'm not some impulsive buying newbie looking for some new thing I don't know about to show off to my friends.

I have done 3 partys so far, and right now I'm making a new show that will have:

A mirror box routine,
A phantom tube,
A mirror tube,
Dan Harlen's Milkshake,
Goshman colorchanging ball to jumbo square,
Appearing cane,
Appearing 8ft wood poll,
Coloring Book,
Disapearing lollipops,
TT routine,
Vanishng Bandana,
Whats next,
and
Sword thru neck,(depending on age)

There are three stages in a magician's career.
"Who is he?" "There he is!" and "My god is he still around?"
Jake12
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Jake12
Well I'm definitely not an expert and I'm not a newbie so whats my title?
There are three stages in a magician's career.
"Who is he?" "There he is!" and "My god is he still around?"
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
310 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
Quote:
On 2007-05-03 21:03, Jake12 wrote:

I have about 35 kidshow/stage tricks and around 60 closeup. I'm not some impulsive buying newbie looking for some new thing I don't know about to show off to my friends.

I have done 3 partys so far, and right now I'm making a new show that will have...

And that goes back to the old quote by Dai Vernon (?)

Something along the lines of...

Kid: Mr.Vernon, I can do 300 tricks! How many can you do?
Prof: I can do 3, but I do them very well.

I know its not exactly right, buy you get the point. I hope.

Sam Pearce
fredpaulbailey
View Profile
New user
Fred
51 Posts

Profile of fredpaulbailey
Jake - It looks like you've got some really good effects there. Now you just have to figure out age-appropriate routines and string the effects/routines together so they flow from one to the next and fit your personality. This forum is a great source for advice and information.

Another idea is if you have a local magic store start hanging around there (don't be annoying about it) and make buddies with the guys behind the counter. You can learn a lot from them. They can help you pick out your next tricks and can brain-storm routine ideas with you. Just make sure the're cool about it. Also, you can find a pro and see if they need help setting-up/tearing down their shows. You can learn a lot just hanging in the back ground and it's always good when you do a one- man show to have a friend there to help and support you. Depending who it is they may or may not throw you a couple of bucks for helping. Otherwise the knowledge you gain from the right professional(s) can be priceless.

You're off to a good start using this forum. It is loaded with invaluable advice. And don't get down when people get all condescending and throw out terms like "Newbie". We all started out as beginners. Learn lots, work hard, get out there in front of the audience and do your best and learn from them too and in no time no one will ever call you a "newbie" again.

Fred
Doodad
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Doodad
Quote:
On 2007-05-03 21:13, Jake12 wrote:
Well I'm defenitly not an expert and I'm not a newbie so whats my title?

A newpert? an exbie? Smile
I agree with Mumblemore on what he said about some of the snobbery that is exhibited by some of the "veterans" on the board. I'm all for people doing their homework on here and using the search engine for specific questions, but I feel that even a simple question such as "what is your favorite trick?" is sometimes needed just to bring up some good points. I always get something out of people listing their faves even though I have several shows worth of bits and tricks. If you can't find something useful in a thread like this, then it would seem to me that you are stuck in a rut. In some ways, aren't we all newbies, and isn't that a good thing? Thus endeth the lesson.
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Isn't Mark Trimble out of magic. Or is he now back in?

George

Quote:
On 2007-05-02 17:40, Stevethomas wrote:
Probably "Picto-Chango", the Mark Trimble version of Picto-Transpo. Either that or the Axtell "Magic Drawing Board", what a reaction that gets. Also, they'll ALWAYS remember you for "when you burned up that girl's/teacher's/boy's shoe if you use a Wiz Kote! Literally, for YEARS, they'll remember that.

Steve
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Is the Gene Anderson version of Picto Chango still being made? Also, how many variations of this effect exist? How would one they are getting the best one?

Regan
Mister Mystery
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
For all of you picto fans here is an idea that a friend of mine used when he did this effect. He used only one bag, which was open along the long edge, and placed one frame aside but in view. Then he placed one picture in the bag and withdrew it immediately to show an instant change.

If you know the effect try to work this out as I think it eliminates a lot of potential confusion.

Gil Scott
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Mark Lewis' bongo hat routine from his book Wit and wisdom.

I was mis-booked for a show yesterday. It was suppose to be a walk around gig and turned out that they wanted a show. I have a doctors bag in my trunk with a 30 minute show in it. The feature is based in large part on Mark Lewis' Bongo hat routine. It is just a wonderful, fun, and entertaining, routine filled with lots of business. It is also something that can be performed for 300+ people and fits in your pocket. Wonderful stuff!

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Hi Sam (Pearce), I believe you're thinking of the David Devant quote.
Clownboy
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of Clownboy
[quote]On 2007-05-02 22:58, Frank Starsini wrote:
Quote:

Usually these posts come from newbies trying to fill their bucket with tricks having put no effort into any research about anything.

for this reason I never answer posts like this unless the poster is willing to cough up what they ALREADY consider several of their own favorite tricks.

So Jake12... prove me wrong. What are your killer routines that we should know about before we start giving you our ideas?

Frank, I don't know you from Adam; but to some in here you would be considered a "Newbie".

It may have come Across wrong but you sounded like someone who has a big ego.

Brad
As the Frogs say "Times Fun when you're having Flies" Smile
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Brad FYI
Those of us who know Frank know that he is a magic dealer who the pros go to for advice, at an unbelievable price for his magic tricks. He is the first dealer I go to when I want to buy a trick, and if he can't get it he tells me who he would buy it from. Did you notice that he has over 7,000 posts here at the magic Café? You may call him a "newbie", but I call him a "guru".
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Gadfly,

With the version that uses the COLORED bags (the Mark Trimble version) there is no confusion. Red framed board with the picture drawn in RED goes into the RED bag and vice versa for the blue. No confusion.

George, I don't think Mark Trimble is still in the business. He did make some excellent props. I don't like the way the deal with him and Gene Anderson. If you read this entire thread, however, Marvello, the very gentleman who despises all ripoffs, has ripped off one of our Café brothers by buying an item, never paying for it and then when contacted about returning the item (coincidentally after the summer magic season where I'm sure it was well-used), he never did. Now, he's vanished. Talk about not liking ripoffs...

Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Your favorites (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.42 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL