The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Magick Balay Injured Doing "Smash & Stab" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
ThorstenHappel
View Profile
Loyal user
Düsseldorf / New York, NY
203 Posts

Profile of ThorstenHappel
I am sorry to report that my good friend and amazing magician Magick Balay has injured his left hand while demonstrating "Smash & Stab" at Fantasma Magic yesterday.

I have seen him doing this many times, sometimes even blindfolded, and I always cringed knowing how dangerous this stunt is. He always blew his audiences away (as with literally everything he does), and it always went well.

Magick went to the hospital and is doing okay. The spike did not go all the way through and he will be fine.

Just saw that Magick has a blog comment on his MySpace site about his "mishap"

Here is the link: http://myspace.com/magickbalay

Yes, that's Magick, always in a good mood and taking things with a lot of humor.
Thorsten
-----------------------------------------

"If this be magic, let it be an art ..."
-- William Shakespeare, The Winter's Tale, Act 5, Scene 3
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I have seen numerous online videos of people screwing this trick up! That's enough for me to stay away from that particular effect!

Things can go wrong with just about any trick, but if something goes wrong with this one, it can put you out of commission for a while!

Best wishes to your friend for a speedy recovery!

Lyndel
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Ouch!
Hey Thorsten,
Tell Magick that the FAO Bubble Clown on skates from 100 years ago sends his deepest regards.
He'll understand.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I'm in Fantasma a good 4-6 days a week, and came into the shop about 30 seconds after Magick's mishap. I have to say I'm glad I didn't get there sooner. He was in good humor the whole time. I last saw him on Friday evening, the 4th, and he was doing just fine. A little swollen, but he hasn't lost any ability in his hand.

This is why I stick to using sponge balls...

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
Any one know the details to the rumor that Simon Lovell now had spiked himself doing Smashed & Stabbed last Saturday night?
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Geeesh...in the 70's when hook coins were popular you could tell a magician by the scars on the BACK of their hands. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have to admit I find it hard to feel bad for people this happens to.

I am glad to see it was not being done with a SPECTATORS hand!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
I've seen performers have the spectators sit on the cups before.
THAT's a mishap that I'd REALLY hate to see happen.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Magick is a good guy. Sorry to hear about the mishap!

I hope you didn't hit any nerves in the hand and that you recover soon and quickly.
Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
I was in Fantasma yesterday evening. Sure enough Simon's left hand was bandaged. We got to talking about his injury and he showed me the hole in his hand. He strongly advised against Smash and Stab. Apparently it's no longer for sale at Fantasma.
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Criss Angel did a version of this on Oprah just this week -- Monday, I think. Oprah wouldn't even help. She didn't want to feel responsible if something went wrong. And Criss was using a nicely sharpened knife. It had an interesting reaction from the audience. But Oprah couldn't even watch after he smashed the first cup.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Quote:
On 2007-05-10 11:16, Addy wrote:
I was in Fantasma yesterday evening. Sure enough Simon's left hand was bandaged. We got to talking about his injury and he showed me the hole in his hand. He strongly advised against Smash and Stab. Apparently it's no longer for sale at Fantasma.

Are you saying Simon spiked HIS hand too???

OMG...
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
For "Spike" Larry Becker has some thoughts:
I like both the compactness of the apparatus and the simplicity and dependability of the method. It works like a charm and with a modicum of care and caution by the performer, ending up with a spike through the hand should not occur. But a word of caution, like any other dangerous stunt (remember me, I'm the guy with the three pistols) you must not be careless or suffer from brain cramps. The method is excellent but that does not mean accidents can't happen if you allow your mind to wander when it should be focused on the performance. If you're a professional, SPIKE is definitely recommended."
- Larry Becker
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Yup, Simon's mishap ocurred a mere 5 days after Magick's. Not a good week for NY magicians who perform the effect...
Kevin Reylek
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
ON the bright side, when it does go wrong, you can do all kinds of new and innovative coin tricks.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
That Danny - his glass is always half full!

Destiny
just_larry
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of just_larry
I hate to hear when this happens. I hope they will be Ok
Larry
Ps. does anyone know the name of the one built into a lazy susan?
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
I can't believe that people are still performing this. The effect itself sucks, IMO . . . "Look, I didn't get HURT!?!?" What kind of person does something like this? How seemingly idiotic it must appear to a lay person, that a magician would even attempt this, regardless of the outcome. Who in their right mind would even take the chance? I don't care if it's a magician or a mentalist performing it, I feel it is a bad effect. If I had a routine with three forks and a light socket, it would be just about as absurd.

If I saw a performer doing this with an audience member, I would leave the show. Even if nothing happened, I would leave, because it says something about a performer who is willing to do that with a respected member of their audience.

I feel bad for the guys who get skewered, but this seems to happen often.

-J.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
That sucks. I own Spike and I'm nervous everytime I do that thing.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
I think that "Smash and Stab" is one of the most hyped effects in existence. Who told you guys that this was a good effect? It seems like many jumped on the bandwagon without thinking about it first.

It seems that someone, disgruntled by the "one in three odds" scenario that most spectators naturally flee to, decided to up the ante by introducing an element of fear and danger (and certainly did, outside of the gun roulette). IMO, that is bad magic. If we have to include the possible element of getting hurt so that people will watch our performance, I feel sad for magic.

It's just my opinion, and I'm not trying to harp on anyone doing this effect, but Gee Whiz Smile

-J.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Magick Balay Injured Doing "Smash & Stab" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL