The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Robert Houdin's Protean Pack of Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Gary Plants
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Gary Plants
protean PRO-tee-un; pro-TEE-un, adjective: 1. Displaying considerable variety or diversity. 2. Readily assuming different shapes or forms.

Three cards are selected by three spectators -- the King of Hearts, the Jack of Spades and the Ace of Hearts. When the King of Hearts is placed on the bottom of the deck, the entire deck is now seen to consist of nothing but King of Hearts. Then, the Jack of Spades is placed on the bottom of the deck and the entire deck consists of nothing but Jack of Spades. This is repeated once more with the Ace of Hearts. At the end, all of the cards are once again seen to be ordinary.

REVIEW BY RICKY SMITH
M.U.M. MAGAZINE FEBRUARY 2007

In the past few years we have had the good fortune to witness the publication of a number of works featuring the father of modern magic, Jean Eugene Robert-Houdin. They represent some of the best that magic literature has to offer, and it is practically impossible to read his memoirs without being inspired. Who wouldn't want to be able to regale their audience with a story or two about the man, and then be able to share one of his miracles with them? Unfortunately it is rather difficult to obtain, a Fantastic Orange Tree, for example, to perform. I doubt the vast majority of us would even have the opportunity to see one, let alone borrow one for a performance. Luckily the talented Mr. Gary Plants has looked into the repertoire of Robert-Houdin, unearthed a beautiful effect, and had the necessary items made to allow those that are so inclined to perform an effect from the elegant 19th century genius. The trick is the Protean Pack of Cards, and the effect is that the deck transforms itself to consist solely of one of three selected cards when that card is placed on the bottom of the deck. This is done for each of the three selections. Having witnessed Mr. Plants’ performance of this effect a number of times I can state that the effect is striking and grows ever more bewildering with each successive change. Having sprung from the mind of Robert-Houdin, the trick is, of course, an old one and has appeared in his Secrets of Conjuring and Magic as well as Hilliard's Greater Magic. Those who have those works can learn about the trick prior to purchasing it from Mr. Plants. What you get is the necessary pack of cards and a write-up of the routine that covers the necessary moves, which are well within the reach of anyone conversant with basic card sleights. The gaffed pack can be utilized with most of the playing cards that magicians tend to utilize: Bicycle, Tally-Ho, etc., and Mr. Plants' write up is exceptionally thorough detailing the required moves, which are minimal, and the presentation which provides natural cover for bringing out and getting rid of the gaffed pack. If you like stunning magical effects and, like me, think that having an effect from Robert-Houdin in your repertoire is exceptionally fulfilling, then you certainly can't go wrong with this offering.

http://www.thecardplant.com
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
So Hofinzer, I see you have pasted the exact text from the website but are you advertising the effect, agreeing with the review (ie, you have this) or you want a review? Care to comment further?
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
626 Posts

Profile of JordanB
I'll post my thoughts on this effect. I was at TAOM last year when Gary debuted this effect. I was standing next to Bob White and we were watching Gary do the trick and when he was done, Bob said "Whoa!". Those were my exact thoughts. I purchased the effect immediately(in fact, I was the first person to buy one).

All of Gary's stuff is first rate. He makes quality gaffs and puts out nice tricks. If you own some of his stuff then you know it is first rate. He is one of the few people that I would buy stuff from "sight unseen". He is just that good, and he is one of the nicest guys around.

Now to the effect:

I use the effect as a closer. Occasionally, groups of people will come by my desk at the office and ask to see some tricks. I will do a few effects and this will be my closer. The people I have performed this for a flabbergasted. The trick is quality manufacturing and the effect is visible and strong. I would put it in the "miracle" class. If you are looking for a strong card effect that is not a knuckle buster, then I highly recommend this.

Sincerely,

Jordan
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Not being a sleight of hand black belt myself, how would you rate this in terms of difficulty on a 1 to 5 basis. (1 = easy)
Gary Plants
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Gary Plants
Pegasus,

I simply was putting up the review for others to see. This was a sellout at the TAOM and at FFFF this past weekend. I like it. Difficulty...1.5 Another review should be upcoming in Magic Magazine soon.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I was gonna order it until I came acroos the Archaic order system in place on the website.
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
626 Posts

Profile of JordanB
I don't know if he still does, but he used to take Paypal as long as it wasn't from a credit card. You can email him from the website and I'm sure he'd be glad to let you know.

As far as sleight of hand goes a 1.5 difficulty sounds right.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Cheers Jordan, I did email him earlier with that exact request, so hopefully I should hear soon.

I wonder how much of the cards you see when spreading? Just the indices I am assuming. Any idea what type of deck is used?
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
626 Posts

Profile of JordanB
Quote:
On 2007-05-02 14:06, pegasus wrote:

I wonder how much of the cards you see when spreading? Just the indices I am assuming. Any idea what type of deck is used?

You would be incorrect in assuming that. I won't give away the method, but it is killer. You can use the trick with just about any USPC deck (Bicycle, Tally Ho, etc). If you are going to order one I highly suggest getting some of his other stuff. I think his Magnetized Cards and the Capitulating Cards are two of the best tricks you can do with cards. Along with this effect, they are a staple in my card repetoire.
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1087 Posts

Profile of taller8
I wonder if MJM is going to carry this. I see it listed on the Hocus Pocus sight.
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
328 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
Yes, we are currently speaking with Gary P. about this, and I'll let you know if it's something we will be getting soon.
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
D J Hawkins
View Profile
Veteran user
Reading, UK
351 Posts

Profile of D J Hawkins
Sounds like this would be a perfect walkaround trick (I sometimes use a Svengali pack to great reactions). However I'm confused - without wishing to reveal the full method ....is this a fully gaffed pack that can only be used for this one effect or is it something that's added to a standard deck ?
David Hawkins

djhawkins2014@gmail.com
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
ORIGINAL POST DESCRIBES THE EFFECT :
" Three cards are selected by three spectators -- the King of Hearts, the Jack of Spades and the Ace of Hearts. When the King of Hearts is placed on the bottom of the deck, the entire deck is now seen to consist of nothing but King of Hearts. Then, the Jack of Spades is placed on the bottom of the deck and the entire deck consists of nothing but Jack of Spades. This is repeated once more with the Ace of Hearts. At the end, all of the cards are once again seen to be ordinary."

I must be missing something. Can't this effect be done with any ordinary deck
(no force of three cards) using a Hindu shuffle move to show all cards alike each time and then you can actually hand the deck out for examination?
Or are you saying the deck is spread to show all King of hearts, then deck is later spread to show all Jack of spades, etc....
Gary Plants
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Gary Plants
The deck is SPREAD to show the changes!
Gary Plants
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Gary Plants
Now available from Denny and Lee, Hank Lee, and Hocus-Pocus Magic.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-05-01 15:45, pegasus wrote:
So Hofinzer, I see you have pasted the exact text from the website but are you advertising the effect, agreeing with the review (ie, you have this) or you want a review? Care to comment further?

So, I see from your signature that you are advertising some of your products as well. Care to comment further?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Do a search Bill, I have commented further already.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
It is a shame when people come here and market their wares but do not respect the Café enough to bother purchasing an ad to help support. It is telling. Some are just out for a free ride while others take responsible and respectful actions.

Back to the main topic; this looks to be an excellent effect. Thank you for the reviews.

Tony
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Please tell me who you are aiming this slur at? If its me, then you have not a clue what effects I purchase, and nor do I wish YOU to know. I do not understand where this statement has come from, please elaborate. Do you have access to my paypal account or something?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Robert Houdin's Protean Pack of Cards (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL