The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Electric Pully System (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
I'm looking for an electric pulley system that can raise and lower (like an elevator) with a switch of some sort.

It needs to be rather small, like 10" X 7".

I'm using this for an illusion, any ideas?

Thanks!
Josh London
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Can you give us a bit more to go on - size, weight, etc.?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
It doesn't need to hold much weight, say 2-3 lbs, if that. I need it to drop about 1 foot, then come back up when I want it to.

The size of the platform I'd like the pulley to pull would be roughly 10" long X 7" wide.

Is there a website where I can go look at these things? I guess I'm looking for a little, very little elevator.

Thanks!
Josh
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Will it be mounted above the stage, or does it need to be self-contained?

From your description I'm not sure you are really looking for a "pulley system", but a "gearmotor". Go to http://www.grainger.com and search for "DC gearmotor". There are several different speeds available in the $40 - $45 range. I don't think the capacity will present a problem for something that small and light.

If you really are looking for pulleys, your local hardware store should have many to choose from.
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
It will be self-contained in a table. I'm going to be using a black art idea and the platform will be lowered behind the black art, and then raised back up.

I'll take a look at the gear motor. It sounds like what I need.

Thanks!
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
If it needs to stop at a preset point, make sure you include a limit switch of some sort in the circuit, otherwise a fairly powerful gearmotor could cause some significant damage.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Sounds like you need the PTS system.

Best,

Tim
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
Before you pay full price at Grainger you might have a look here:

http://www.allelectronics.com/
chuckn34404
View Profile
Regular user
Bend, Oregon
124 Posts

Profile of chuckn34404
You might also look at a system of pulleys with a counter weight to return the platform to the up position. The platform could be push or moved down and lock in position until it was ready to be released and return to the up position.
Chuckn
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
Not sure how much area you have to work with but it sound as though you want to use a screw drive type system. Check out this website and it may help with your design.http://www.engineersedge.com/motors/lead_screw_drive_system.htm
craig filicetti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Arizona
550 Posts

Profile of craig filicetti
I've been experimenting with a linear actuator. It runs on 12V and can raise/lower 12". Cost is $80 and it lifts 25lbs. The only problem in the noise and you need 12+ inches to hide it. With good insulation, you could not hear it from about 8 feet. Music could cover the sound. It is 24" when extended. It comes with a limit switch.
ProMystic - Professional Systems For Mentalists
<BR>www.promystic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Electric Pully System (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL