The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » KIDabra kids shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Seandini
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Seandini
Hey I am trying to plan kid shows I have a rutine but I need a foundation a theme any ideas or starting points P . L . E . A . S . E please
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
One needs to read a bit and get ideas that suit their personality as well as any character they choose.

Another fast track would be to attend the KIDabra COnference in August.
See http://www.KIDabra.org on the conference.
Dennis Michael
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Oh how I would love to go in August...Don't know if I can or not...My program for children is called Ringmaster Terry Owens and his magical circus of fun and my show is built around that theme...I have a clown "soft" dummy and lion puppet that is used. So you've got to find something that can be you, and that clicks with the children.

And there's nothing wrong with just being you "Seandini", Children do love magicians, that is a good character too. You also need to know what age groups that you're going to do shows for because different groups requires different approaches to performing for them.
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
Go...you'll love it! I'll be there and so will everyone else!
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
If you are planning to do children's magic shows one of the best places to go is to the Kidabra conference. I have not seen any other conferences that is just for the children show performer. On the other hand if you can not make it to Kidabra there are a number of books and DVD's that can help...

Kidabra DVD's
Performing Magic for Children
The Birthday Magicians handbook
Seriously Silly

Just to name a few

Hope this helps
Chris
dlachance
View Profile
Veteran user
Mississippi
344 Posts

Profile of dlachance
Seriously Silly is an EXXXCCCEEELLLLLEEENNNNTTTTTT book.........
-Dorian LaChance
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
I second that. I have read seriously silly by david Kaye numerous times cover to cover and I am still picking it up and reading different chapters from time to time. It Is one of the best books you can read if you want to entertain children
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Go and see David lecture...one of the best I've been to.
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
I'm not sure the reaction I'll get here, but I still love to pull out the old "Greater Magic Video Library J.B. Bobo Magic Show" VHS tape and watching Bobo entertain kids...he had a charm that's wonderful to watch, and reminds me of the shows I used to watch in school as a kid.
I believe Stevens Magic in Wichita has these...possilby on DVD now I'd imagine!
the interview before the show has advice to applicable today!
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
David Kaye style is truly his style that works well for him. His lectures are very informative. Like all lectures, you pick and choose what you think will work well with your style.

Since I don't dress "clownish" but do at times act "silly" some of his techniques work well for me. I love his method for the coloring book, and the crystal tube. They both work well for me, but I cannot do his long TT routine, or his Balloon house, because they are not me.

Davids method of adding comedy to the routine, and learning to adjust routines for different ages groups is also good.

Again, be picky and choose what you think will work with you. If unsure, give it a try. David clearly says in his book and at several lectures I've been to, not all that he does will work for everyone.

With any lecture, openmindness, and understanding the concepts can apply to what you do.
Dennis Michael
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Dennis is correct.
Different strokes for different folks.
Not everything will suite you. You will know by trial and error.
As much as you may like a certain trick, take it out of the show if you don't get the kind of response you expected.
Seandini, try to create a routine that is different from the one that comes with the trick.
You mention (theme). Are you putting a show together for schools, libraries or birthday parties?
Richard.
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
Quote:
On 2007-07-16 22:53, Dennis Michael wrote:
David Kaye style is truly his style that works well for him. His lectures are very informative. Like all lectures, you pick and choose what you think will work well with your style.

I understand that David's DVD will be out shortly. I am looking forward to that !
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Me too, I would like to watch him in action finally. Of course, everyone ingnored my Bobo comment....even Tricky Ricky.
"Tiptoe...through the tulips..."
;)
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Hi Chris.
Bobo was one of the great children's entertainer by far.
I don't read too many books on children magic, but his I've read some years ago.
I think Bobo did most of his work in schools and Libraries. I stand to be corrected on that.
The man made all his living from performing for children---I'd say he's got to be good.
Tiny Tim loved magic.
Tricky Ricky.
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Thanks, Ricky! I kept thinking you would know Bobo's shows and their reputation. I believe on the video he says that's pretty much all he did. And I was giving you a hard time...knowing your experience I really wanted to get you opinion on him as I respect what you think.
Tiny Tim rocked...got to see him play the uke once...fun to watch him work! I know he loved magic...have any more info on this?
I would love to see David lecture...I envy you Smartini!
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Chris...the David Kaye lecture was pretty cool as David used input from the audience to personally design a routine complete with suggested gags/handling all from scratch.

Another performer that I really love to watch is Terry Herbert. This is a guy who really comes across as a decent and funny guy. The stuff that he does with "Look and don't see" is just amazing. My kids and I love watching his Monty the Monkey routine which involves nothing more than a basket, an old monkey puppet and a couple of tiny magic wands and other simple props. Sheer brilliance this one.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » KIDabra kids shows (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL