We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Darwin Ortiz's "Scams And Fantasies" Favorite Tricks?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1174 Posts

Profile of Salby
I just purchased this popular book and wondering what card effects people out there are liking and using.

One thing I was disappointed in though with this book is that many of the effects require you to have a full stacked memory deck. I was starting to use Richard Osterlind's Breakthrough Card System a few weeks ago prior to getting this book. However, Richard's system is not good for all of Darwin's effects requiring a stacked deck because you would only know the next card cut to. In Darwin's effects requiring the full memory deck system, you must know where each card is in the deck (ie.: The JD is 25th from the top, the 4S is 13th from the bottom, etc.) The Si Stebbins System is suggested, but I prefer not to use that system, because how uniform the cards look with the "red/black/red/black" formula-- It looks too conspicuous. I was thinking of Juan Tamariz's Mnemonica System (I'm not familiar with it though), but I really do not want to fork over another $60 for a book. Any other suggestions?? Prior to purchasing Scams And Fantasies, I read the many brief reviews and inferred that Ortiz taught his own stacked deck system. This is not true, however. He assumes you know one.

Also, I would like to try out his Ambitious Card routine, but he states that you need the "Monkey in the Middle" card effect for this routine. I am not familiar with this packet effect. Again, I don't want to buy something else. What is the card(s) that is needed to perform his Ambitious Card routine?? I may already have it and not know that I do. I have many gaffed card sets, including the CAJ Deck, Penguin's Assortment Gaffed Deck and the Ellusionist's Bicycle Red Gaffed Deck. Do I have the required card(s) from "Monkey in the Middle" in one of these other gaffed decks I already own??
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
gkfreed
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of gkfreed
Quote:
On 2007-05-05 10:56, Salby wrote:

Also, I would like to try out his AMBITIOUS CARD ROUTINE, but he states that you need the "Monkey in the Middle" card effect for this routine. I am not familiar with this packet effect. Again, I don't want to buy something else.

Salby,

Do yourself a big favor and purchase Monkey in the Middle. Then toss the Ortiz Ambitious Card and do Monkey in the Middle by itself. I honestly believe you will thank me.

Regards,
Gary
Lukenp
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Lukenp
I use The Last Laugh. It requires a stacked deck. I use the Aronson Stack. You can find info on it here for free. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......13&7

I recommend that you memorize one of the many stacks out there. The possibilities are endless and they're very useful.
"Be natural"

-Dai Vernon
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1174 Posts

Profile of Salby
Thanks for the tips. I'll consider them.

Is Aronson's Memorized deck easier/better/more versatile than Tamariz's Memorized Deck?? Where can I find the pros and cons of these Stacked decks. I assume these are the 2 most popular ones out there??

Also, is the a video demo somewhere of MONKEY IN THE MIDDLE??
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1887 Posts

Profile of ASW
Get Monkey in the Middle. Try it as a one shot effect. Then try it in the context of an ambitious card routine. Then decide for yourself.

Whatever, buy it. You'll be purchasing an absolutely killer effect and it's only right that the (insignificant) investment goes to Bill Goldman, since you will be buying his concept. It isn't right to phish on the Café for the secret then to make it up from stuff you might have. It's a very reasonably priced item, in any case, so don't be such a tightass.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
billmonroe
View Profile
Regular user
Annapolis, MD
181 Posts

Profile of billmonroe
Salby,

You will do yourself a favor by choosing a stack to memorize and then doing it. There are many effects that can be performed with a memorized stack that couldn't be done through pure sleight of hand. Now for choosing which stack to use you will need to find out what types of effects you want to do. For instance, Aronson's stack has some good poker deals imbedded in the stack. Another way, is to create your own by shuffling a deck and memorizing. However, do go to Simon's site and check out his free 20 page booklet, you'll be glad you did. Cheers,

Bill
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1174 Posts

Profile of Salby
OK-- I read Simon Aronson's 20 page Intro at his site about his Memorized Stacked Deck, but confused on which book of his to find it in.

He apparently edited that Manuscript Intro in 2002 and I am not really familiar with all his media before and after 2002. He states a couple of books in that manuscript of his, but confused which is best.

What book/DVD is the Most recent and thorough source of his Memorized Stacked Deck that is on the Magic Market right now with all his versatile routines utilizing it??
Lukenp
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Lukenp
You can find it in Bound to Please. It's $35 I believe.

I don't know which stack is better. I don't know Tamariz's stack, so I cannot make an accurate comparison.

It took me around 3 weeks to get the stack down cold. I just used brute memorization. I didn't really bother with mneumonics and the sort.

Also, Simon put out a 3 DVD set with his magic. Though, I believe his memorized deck stuff is on Volume 3.

Luke
"Be natural"

-Dai Vernon
dannywhit
View Profile
Regular user
Oak Ridge,TN
121 Posts

Profile of dannywhit
I love Scams and Fantasies and I am sure after you read routines like Zen Master you will be wanting to memorize a stack, but even if you do not have a stack memorized just yet there are still plenty of very strong effects in this book that do not require a gimmick or a memory stack. You will learn a great way to set up the deck right in front of the audience and in my oppinion, the best Oil and Water routine out there. I do not believe you can go wrong with this book.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1174 Posts

Profile of Salby
Thanks everyone for your tips again.

I think I'll have to pick a stacked deck and Aronson's is the 1 that I will go for... I have to pick 1, right??

Anyway, I want to either buy his book, BOUND TO PLEASE, or his Volume 3 DVD. Which one is better to learn his stacked deck and his mneumonics and his best effects?? The book or DVD?? Both are about the same $30-35 each and I want to only buy 1 for now.

Also, can someone post the COMPLETE contents of this DVD? I can only find the highlights of it.
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
Aronson stack is free on his website at the the end of his 20 page free essay download thing.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1174 Posts

Profile of Salby
I realise that his order is FREE at the website (I downloaded it), but I was also looking for his own Mneumonic tips and how he applies his stacked decked order and which media (BOUND TO PLEASE "book" or Vol. 3 "DVD") gives the most uses/insights/effects........
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

I believe his tips are also in the essay. He says don't learn it in sequence, practice by making flash cards, be able to seperate by suit, color, etc.

I memorized his stack from his free download, but if you want to get one of his books that have the most on his memorized stack, I believe Bound to Please has the most on his stack.
Lukenp
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Lukenp
I would get Bound to Please. Books offer more than dvds.
"Be natural"

-Dai Vernon
Tyler
View Profile
Regular user
St. Louis
165 Posts

Profile of Tyler
I have all of Aronson's books and I think Bound To Please has the most information on learning the stack. It really did open a whole way of performing. The book includes A Stack To Remember and in it he explains (at length) mnumonics and the easiest way of remembering the stack. It's very logical and it makes it much easier than Tamariz's Stack to learn. I also have Tamariz's Mnumonica but found it not as useful for me personally. If you can do perfect farrows etc.. there is a quick way to get the stack in order but that's about the only advantage I've found to T's stack. Aronson's other books along with some ideas from Bannon and Solomon make Aronson's a better choice IMHO. I really enjoyed Simply Simon for more uses of the stack. I do use Mnumonica ideas with the Aronson stack. The nice thing is that if you put the time in, you give yourself a way to mix it up when performing. Most magicians wont put the time in to learn the stack and that's ok by me. It took me about 30 days but well worth it. Even though I have all of Aronson's books as well as Bannon, Soloman and Draun, I am looking to pick up the 3 dvd set of Aronson. If I get those, I'll let you know how I liked them.

Mike
Magiman
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Magiman
Do yourself a huge favor and learn a stack. You will be precieved as God-like to laymen and magi-friends who think they are in the know.

Just do the work!
-Magiman
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5020 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1099 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
Martin Joyal's six hour memorized stack is what I use and I could go thru the whole deck in the six hour time frame.
After about three days I had it down cold.
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

I like Fastest Gun Alive.

Working on the ORtiz Shift for the Last Laugh.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5020 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
A Day with Darwin Ortiz: http://www.adaywithdarwin.com/
When: Saturday July 14th, 2007.
4222 Vineland Ave. North Hollywood, CA 91602
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Darwin Ortiz's "Scams And Fantasies" Favorite Tricks?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL