The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Tabled Faro Shuffle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dannywhit
View Profile
Regular user
Oak Ridge,TN
121 Posts

Profile of dannywhit
I have recently mastered this fantastic shuffle after avoiding its use by just doing in the hand faro shuffles for years. I have to admit that the table faro makes any card gambling routine look more innocent and at the same time look more skillfull to your audience. Well, that was what I thought at first, but now I am wondering if it matters to the audience at all if you do an "in the hands" faro or a table faro. I know I am probably over analyzing the whole thing, but sometimes the little things can make a big difference. Does anyone care to offer your thoughts on this.
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
791 Posts

Profile of tedski
I think in the context of a gambling routine it looks correct to the audience.
I just saw Richard Turner lecture and he was phenomenal; his table faro (and everything else) was unbelievable - he is a master.

Have you really "mastered" this shuffle? If so, my hat is off to you ....good job!
dannywhit
View Profile
Regular user
Oak Ridge,TN
121 Posts

Profile of dannywhit
Well, I might say the word "mastered" might be streching it if you mean being able to do the shuffle with any ole ragged deck of cards. As long as the deck has not been butchered I can do the shuffle. I have been obsesed with this shuffle for the past two years and I feel very comfortable using it now. I do not even come close to Turner's skill with the shuffle. I have to agree with you, he is a master.
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1134 Posts

Profile of Paul H
Hi Dannywhit,

I too am obsessed with the tabled faro shuffle. I really do believe it makes gambling routines look more professional and consistent. Richard Turner by the way said that it took him over ten years to feel comfortable with the table faro. He cited it as one of the most challenging sleights he had to master. There are some handling considerations though. To work at its best, the tabled faro needs to be performed briskly and smoothly with minimal lining up and butting of the two halves. This butting is best done once and fairly swiftly. It needs to look as if there is merely a hint of squaring the short ends before the riffle. Also, the riffle itself needs to be brisk in my opinion. Too much time taken with the weave destroys the illusion of a regular riffle shuffle. Having said all this, I am still at a stage of trying to survive and get through it all to achieve a good shuffle. A great way to practice is to study Marlo's Gambling routine from Marlo in Spades. After the Bridge Honors deal I add a 10 hand Texas Hold'em deal followed by a 10 hand draw poker deal. All of these use the tabled faro's to great effect. I think good table faro's can turn gambling routines in miracles in the right context.

Regards,

Paul H
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-05-06 22:42, dannywhit wrote:
Well, that was what I thought at first, but now I am wondering if it matters to the audience at all if you do an "in the hands" faro or a table faro. I know I am probably over analyzing the whole thing, but sometimes the little things can make a big difference. Does anyone care to offer your thoughts on this.

I don't think they should know you are doing a faro shuffle, in the hands or otherwise. If you are showing them you are doing a perfect shuffle, then you are only doing it to impress them and to show off. In which case I don't think it matters if it's in the hands or not, they won't really care either way.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1134 Posts

Profile of Paul H
Hi Vandy,

I'm not sure I agree with you on this. First off for certain gambling themed routines, to me it feels more satisfying than an 'in the hands' shuffle. Secondly, while an audience might not be able to consciously appreciate the difference, I still believe the overall presentation, aesthetic and sense of skillful manipulation is enhanced when the shuffles are kept consistent.

Regards,

Paul H
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Oh,I agree. I think there are times when you have to do a tabled riffle faro.

I'm not 100 percent sure I'm on the same page as the original poster.

Dannywit, we are talking about a tabled "riffle" faro right? Not just butting the ends together and doing a regular faro on the table.

When you do the shuffle, do you indicate to the spectator that you are doing a perfect shuffle?

This might help clarify what were are talking about.

The reason I answered the way I did was because, in my opinion, the tabled riffle faro is a sleight. Whereas an in the hands faro or a butt faro on the table borders on being a flourish, even though they accomplish the same thing. It's hard to explain what I was thinking. LOL!
dannywhit
View Profile
Regular user
Oak Ridge,TN
121 Posts

Profile of dannywhit
Hi Vandy,
Yes we are talking about a tabled riffle faro shuffle. Please excuse me for my lack of clarity. I do both types of shuffles, but I prefer doing a tabled faro when demonstrating my gambling routine. I do not announce that I am doing a perfect shuffle at any time during my routine. I agree with you that announcing your skill with a shuffle would just be showing off, but come to think of it just about all gambling demonstrations are based on showing off the performers skill.Hmm..That is something to think about. Any ways, I have to agree with Paul's post as well. I love Marlo's routine. I use it in my demonstration also.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
In that case, I would say the tabled is the one to use.

As far as the spectators,I don't think it really matters. All you are doing is shuffling cards. If you want to look fancy you can do it in the hands and makes a nice bridge or whatever. If you are using it as a secret sleight and you have it mastered, I would say the tabled riffle faro everytime. It's just like every false shuffle, false cut or false deal. As far as the spec knows, all you are doing is what you are supposed to be doing. So anything that makes the actions look normal and natural is good.

A tabled riffle faro shuffle resembles a common way to shuffle cards in a card game, an in the hands faro does not look anything like the way normal people shuffle cards.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Dannywhit just out of curiousity. Can you do an in or an out faro at will?

BTW how long did it take you to master this? I'm working on it but it is a very difficult slieght. If you have any tips on practicing this I would appreciate it. As a matter of fact if anybody here that knows the tabled riffle shuffle has any tips please respond.

thanks
Magic is a vanishing art.
dannywhit
View Profile
Regular user
Oak Ridge,TN
121 Posts

Profile of dannywhit
First of all let me say that I am doing the shuffle consistently. I have been doing so for the past 4 months or so. I am by no means the "Dear Abby" of the tabled faro shuffle, but I can tell you what has helped me. I must tell you though, if you really want this shuffle you will have to neglect some other things in your magic. That is why I started this thread because now after all this time I have started to second guess my reward. You cannot jump around from one thing to the next. Well, at least I can't do that.
I would suggest trying out different handling's to see which one you like the best. This shuffle is based on personal feel and pressure so it is going to be up to you which handling is best. For some reason I find it easier to do an In table faro than an Out. I am guessing that it might be due to the fact that I am right handed and that hand dominantly gives more pressure than the left. I found Ed Marlo's Revolutionary card technique book to be a big help. It help me ballance out the pressure I was giving the deck. I prefer Marlo's bluff riffle after the weave. It gives a nice impression that you are just giving the deck a casual shuffle. All you do is weave the deck then bluff with the riffle. I hope this helps.
MagicKim
View Profile
Special user
Åland, Finland
621 Posts

Profile of MagicKim
Hi guys, I have been practising the tabled faro for about 6 months or so. and I guess 2 or 3 months ago I got it fairly consistent. I am still having trouble if the deck is bent the wrong way. Like convex/concave, never learnt which was which. Otherwise I am okey at it if the deck is not trashed. If you are interested I have a video of it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PodGyH_4-5c

I will film it from different angles this summer when hopefully getting a great camera instead of my awful webcam.

Kim
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1134 Posts

Profile of Paul H
From my experience, I think that talk of in and out table faro's represents the very apex of the art. I find that getting a perfect weave consistently is a considerable task in itself and involves being able to cut to exactly 26 cards prior to the riffle. Mercifully, there are some really excellent gambling routines out there that do not require a perfect weave throughout the deck. If you use a crimp card or some nifty sluffing off, you don't even need to cut accurately to 26.

Regards,

Paul H
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
MagicKim, 6 months or so of practice. That's encourging. I read somewhere here on the Café that it took years of practice. I believe it's time for me to get started on the tabled faro shuffle. I think it is really a great tool to have under your belt. Very deceptive.
Magic is a vanishing art.
DaveM
View Profile
Special user
Germany
788 Posts

Profile of DaveM
Some years ago, Martin Nash showed me a way to control "in & out" tabled faros. Of course he made it seem like child's play, but I was able to overcome that hurdle with some concerted effort.
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
791 Posts

Profile of tedski
FWIW, I think Richard Turner probably has info on this on one of his DVDS.

Interesting to me that when he was asked if he exerted any downward pressure on the deck he paused, thought about it, did a few faros, and replied "no". Even more interesting is his comments on the way cards are cut improperly nowadays that makes it very difficult for a deck to faro properly. Of course that didn't stop him from borrowing a deck and performing without missing a beat. He also made a point of asking the attendees why are you learning any move and what are you going to do with it. That hit home for me.

I respect any of you that put the time into mastering this move....I do not forsee working on this move for my performance - but you never know.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13421 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I just tried doing a table-faro with the deck face up. Wow. What a difference.
It's like butter vs. sandpaper with a new deck.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
791 Posts

Profile of tedski
Frank - that is exactly what Richard explained. He said he has been trying to get USPC to make them properly again, but couldn't say for sure. Listening to that man was educational in every aspect.

BTW - the decks he sells are cut properly to his specifications. I just don't like the design.
MagicKim
View Profile
Special user
Åland, Finland
621 Posts

Profile of MagicKim
I totally agree, just turn the deck upside down.. I liked Mr Turner's cards as well except the design. Cards look cool but not good for my type of performance. I hope they will start cutting the cards as they did before.

My 2 cents.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-05-09 21:08, Frank Starsini wrote:
I just tried doing a table-faro with the deck face up. Wow. What a difference.
It's like butter vs. sandpaper with a new deck.

Told ya.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Tabled Faro Shuffle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL