The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Mechanical silk to ball (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
incompletefaro
View Profile
Regular user
Plano, TX
135 Posts

Profile of incompletefaro
Around ten years ago, I saw an advertisement for a "Mechanical silk to ball" in a magic catalog. The problem is that I don't remember the dealer name nor have I seen it advertised anywhere else. Probably it might be out of the market. The only memory I have about the effect is that you hold a silk by one of the corners. The silk is drawn inside your hand quickly and when you open your hand you have a ball which you can freely display.

I would like to buy this effect. Any information regarding this would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Maybe you can just make it yourself.

What about gimmicking a handkerchief ball ( http://www.larocksmagic.com/magic/ball_m......hiefball ) with a p#ll that is attached to the silk?

You might have to play with it a bit, but it sounds doable.

Mark.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I do another thing that is the opposite of this effect. With producing a ball into a silk. Obviously this is much easier to accomplish. But having both as parts of an overall act sequence, it could be a powerful piece of magic.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
incompletefaro
View Profile
Regular user
Plano, TX
135 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-05-07 08:41, mrunge wrote:
Maybe you can just make it yourself.

What about gimmicking a handkerchief ball ( http://www.larocksmagic.com/magic/ball_m......hiefball ) with a p#ll that is attached to the silk?

You might have to play with it a bit, but it sounds doable.

Mark.

Thanks for the p#ll idea. If we use a p#ll attached to the silk, then we could just just use a normal ball to achieve the effect of silk to ball. Unless of course if we wanted to produce the silk initially, then the hank ball is good to go with.

The advantage of the "mechanical silk to ball" is, I believe, no hook-ups, self-contained and a fast visual.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I think Viking was the most recent maker of that, but it doesn't come up on a search of their site.

When you get to 50 posts, start a new topic in the tricks for sale section, asking if anyone has one to sell.

I have one, but it's not for sale. Sorry.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
incompletefaro
View Profile
Regular user
Plano, TX
135 Posts

Thanks for the tip, Michael!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
This is an old mechanical effect that has been made by a lot of manufacturers. Some of the earliest were in Germnay and the later were Norm Neilsen and Viking.

To be honest, it is a mechanical effect and looks like one.

Check with Kenna Thompson and Ron Allessi. Expect to pay $100 or more for one.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I had one and sold it. I think I may still have buried somewhere an egg that does the same thing. These were made years ago in Germany and are great for what they were designed for.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
472 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
I still have one that I would be willing to sell...PM me
If your not having fun doing what your doing....dont do it!
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
incompletefaro
View Profile
Regular user
Plano, TX
135 Posts

Richard & Pete, Thanks for the information.

Brian, I have sent you a PM.
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
472 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
Got the PM and sold my silk to ball. Thanks
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
incompletefaro
View Profile
Regular user
Plano, TX
135 Posts

Bought the silk to ball. Thanks!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Be use to use a cheaper silk and watch your fingers!!!

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I actually have two different ones. The older German one has the pin (read: finger shredding spike). Sadly, the celluloid ball has degenerated and warped badly (I think the mechanics are still good though).

The other I have is the more recent make, and it uses Velcro instead of the pin.

I made one once and fired it only one time. I posted this somewhere else, but briefly, I wanted a larger one (pool ball size). Everything was going along fine except for overlooking a tiny burr at the end of the threaded axle where the key goes in. If you know these things, you know that the axle also serves as the trigger. When I pushed it, it cut a perfect 1/4" plug out of the tip of my thumb!! It happened very fast.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
incompletefaro
View Profile
Regular user
Plano, TX
135 Posts

Thanks for sharing this incident. I will be extra careful while handling this prop.
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
472 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
I have also had a version that had a snap attached to it. I always let the silk wind in 1 revelution to avoid the silk getting detached which has happened to me before. The velcro version is the better solution becauser the silk will get worn out and its easy to replay the silk with new velcro then to have to sew a snap in. Brian
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
yanchakkuen
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of yanchakkuen
Does anyone still have the auto silk to ball? I want it very much~ Thank you
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Profile of indomagic
I saw in http://www.toramagic.com, they have auto silk to ball, not sure if it is the same item as all of you are talking here.
incompletefaro
View Profile
Regular user
Plano, TX
135 Posts

Yes, that's the one...
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Profile of indomagic
I have seen the one Tora sell, quality is good. He said made by Magic Hand German. Anybody now if Magic Hand has website ?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Mechanical silk to ball (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL