The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Mortimor's Magic Magazine and Home Companion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Finally, I got some free time to look over some of the treasures I purchased awhile back.

Many times on the Café, members ask about routines for this and that, chicken jokes and funny stuff, marketing, advertising and selling, cheap illusions. How many times have you read, What is your best trick, best routine, Top choices, etc?

Well, I happen to have Mortimor's Magic Magazine issues 6 to 13 and Mortimor's Home Companion Vol 1, 2 and 3. (I am missing issues 1-5 and looking for them.) These books never sold well, and I don't know why because I can't put them down since I started reading them. It is loaded with the best routines and advice from many Pros.

There are great routines to do with everything from cards, to Axtell Drawing Board, Great advice on marketing, Promoting, Selling Public Relation, Comedy lines. I am excited about reading these books. So much good stuff.

Unfortunately, they are out of print and except for Vol 1 from Daytona Magic, I can't find anything on these anywhere on the internet!

It is one of those gems hidden in a box of magic I bought from an Auction at the Kidabra Conference last August 2002.

For instance, one section related to goal setting and target audience market focus. The author (Jim Klein) asks the reader which audience would you prefer performing for? I thought it was a strange question, until I read further. Do you want to perform for residential people or do you want to perform for organizations, or do you want to perform for Corporations? (Only three choices)

I started dwelling on this question and after reading the text, it clearly points to where you should be putting your advertising dollar, how you should focus on that area of audience you want, and be the best in that area. Like Ken Scott has focused on Birthday Parties and has made a lively-hood on it. Ken is performing for the residential crowd! David Ginn does not do Birthday Parties and focuses on School Assemblies, so he is focused on the organizational crowd. Cooperfield is focused on the Corporate Crowd. It nice to see how these individuals fit nicely into a niche audience.

Another section had to do with, "What to do with your rubber chicken!" there was so many great ideas and comedy bits with that rubber thing!

A little comedy line, I liked which I revised here for all to use. You come out with your Professor Nightmare ropes with band-aids holding them together, and say, I did this rope trick last night, let me see if it has healed, nope... Then go into the Professor Nightmare routine. It was a simple band-aid on a rope which he took off and showed the audience it had healed. A great start for the cut and restore rope trick.

It's (In My Opinion) one of those books you don't get just one line or routine, you get a meal to choose from.

The only negative I can say about them is that in Vol 1 you have Marketing Part 1, Selling Part 1, Tips and Hints, Part 1. In Vol 2 and 3 are part 2 and 3. The Home Companion is a trilogy series of books. Since I have them it's not so bad, but if you can't get them then it's a bummer.

If you see these gems, look them over very carefully before you fluff them off. You will be pleasently surprised on what you may find.
Dennis Michael
Alchemist
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Alchemist
Dennis,

These sound like real gems. Is this a collected edition of a magazine?

Regards,

Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

I don't think they are a collection edition, but they are difficult to get and out of print. Collectors do want them, so I was told. As I understand them, when they go on ebay, they don't last long and are sold at a high price.

Another interesting and enjoyable section has to do with Trade shows. It was great reading and it was done by our own Café Member Martini (He wrote a lot of good stuff in many of them besides trade shows.) The only problem one might have is that it spans several volumes and issues. I would hate to see someone get hooked on this great stuff and it ends with ...Contined... Yipes, I don't have that issue! So if you get an opportunity or see a set, consider getting them. There are 13 issues about $10 a piece or a three volume set 1-4, 4-8, 9-13, And there is the Home Companion Trilogy Vol 1, Vol 2, and Vol 3 each Volume is $25.

In the last Volume (3) of the Home Companion, is a complete 45 minute Medicine Man Pitch Side Show routine which really sounded great and consumed many tricks and left room for adding illusions, such as the chopper, guillotine, disecto. I was mesmerized reading it and seeing it in my mind being performed. Some day I might try it and see what how it plays in real life!
Dennis Michael
Alchemist
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Alchemist
Dennis,

Thanks for the info. I'm greatly interested in Medicine Man Shows! Now I'm really going to have to hunt these down. Do you know who wrote the pitch?

Thanks

Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

The editor of the Mortimor Series, Jim Klein. He called it Prof. Gabriell's Magical Medicine Show and it was in 8 parts with the meat of the show in Vol. 3

• Issue 7, Part 1: How the Idea for a Medicine Show Came About.
  • Issue 8, Part 2: Deterimination What this Medican can do so development can procede.
  • Issue 9, Part 3: Development of Character
  • Issue 10, Part 4: Assistants
  • Issue 11, Part 5: The Table, How to Entertain?, Duration of Act, Handouts, Music, Props, List of Tricks nad Gags.
  • Issue 12, Part 6: Music Lead-up And Introduction To the Professor
  • Issue 13, Part 7: Patter Starting
  • Volume 2, Parts 6 & 7: Again and Revised
  • Volume 3, Part 8: The Routine

Following the development is an eduction in it's self.
Dennis Michael
Alchemist
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Alchemist
Thanks Dennis, hopefuly I can track this down.

Cheers,

Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

I received the following email:

Mark Fuller acquired the remaining stock of Mortimer's Magazine. He still had some for sale including hard bound collector editions of 1-4, 5-8, 9-13 for $30.00 each.

Single issues available 6-13 are only $5.00. Home Companions 1,2,3 are available also.

Mark Fuller
1936 Grandin Rd.
Roanoke VA 24015
540-344-1828
Email: [email]markastali@aol.com[/email]
Dennis Michael
magic fett
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of magic fett
I was just getting ready to post that information for Mark. I got the hard bound editions from him a couple of years ago at his shop in Roanoke Virginia they are really wonderful volumes of magic. I have yet to find anything like them out there.
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1217 Posts

Profile of magicbern
I have also contacted Mr. Fuller, and he has agreed to send me Magician's Home Companion, Vol. 3 to complete my set.

Actually, I bought them (and the bound editions of Mortimer's Magazine) direct from Jim Klein and the American Magic company in the early 1990s. As Dennis Michael said earlier in this thread, they really are a treasure chest of interesting and workable material and ideas. They came with some small props to do some of the tricks, and they were (and still are!) an inspiring read.

Get them before it's too late!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Mortimor's Magic Magazine and Home Companion (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL