The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » YMOTY Competition Act (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DWmagic
View Profile
New user
England, Bristol
71 Posts

Profile of DWmagic
Here's my performance from the YMOTY this year. Please feel free to comment and criticize!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgFfOcMORSc
Yours,
Matt Wood
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
It is very good Matt, I just don't thin it works as a competition piece. Your audicence management under tough conditions , presentation and confidence is very good, certainly well above average for someone your age. Howevr if memory serves me correct the Ymoty routine should be between 8-12 minutes. Your full lenghts is under 8 minutes, and you spend the first 4+ minutes going through audience selection procedure. Now this isn't entirely wrong, many pros spend along time in different audience selection procedures, that can be very entertaining. However such manouveres I feel should be confined to a longer show. 45 minutes plus! Thsi also gives you time to gain some rapport with the audience and make sure there not fearful of being embarassed, and makes them willing to play such games without this they can be tedious to watch. And in a competiton you really want to stick to magic, something you are obvioulsy good at.

Usually I would say avoid doing card routines on stage, as they are strictly speaking stage, but you really managed to play it bg, you may of made your work slightly easier though if you used bigger tricks. I appreciate this quite possibly means escaping from the genre you're comfortable with. Also try as a general rule for comps like this, try for a few effects, not just the one. Have a beginning, a middle and end. Overall though I thought you should be really encouraged by your performance, you have things that are difficult to teach that come naturally to you, soyou can concentrate on the actual effects. Good job man!
Sure I'll be hearimg more about you in the future. Hope what I said wasn't to patroning, obvious etc And good luck in the future.
Nick
DWmagic
View Profile
New user
England, Bristol
71 Posts

Profile of DWmagic
Thanks so much for all the comments Nick.

I realise now that my act was not suitable for a Competition. It is an act that I have done before in 'real world' situations. This is my first time entering a Competition so I really had to do what I felt to be the best thing at the time. Through my performance I wanted to show my audience managment and stage presence over my magical ablility, something I now know was probably a mistake!

Thanks again for the comments. They're really appreciated.

-Matt
Yours,
Matt Wood
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
I think that was very well handled. Small card effects are definitely playable for big stage and you've done really well.

Just one thing though... I think (I am not 100% sure) you referred Caroline as "sir" in the beginning.... I'm not sure if it's a huge mistake but I've read somewhere it's a very important etiquette.
jalal12321
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of jalal12321
Hehe, I was sitting just behing Caroline. Thought you might pick me at one point. I thought the act wasn't bad, it was different from most of the acts that day, manipulation to music or something. Good to see so much enthusiasm.

Good job man, hope to see you soon,

Jalal.
DWmagic
View Profile
New user
England, Bristol
71 Posts

Profile of DWmagic
Thanks so much for the comments guys.

I think I said "Sorry, what's your name" to Caroline. I do try not to call female volunteers Sir, but I'll be extra careful from now on!

Thanks again,
-Matt
Yours,
Matt Wood
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Ahhh, the British accents, they are killing me! Smile
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Good job, Matt. I remember the heats day fondly; you're doing very well, keep it up! Going to watch the Final?

Cheers,

Chris
DWmagic
View Profile
New user
England, Bristol
71 Posts

Profile of DWmagic
Thanks Chris,

I think it's quite unlikely I'll be going to the final - I live in Bristol so it's a fair way to come by train. But, you never know so I may see you there.

Will almost definatly be competing in 2 years time though!

-Matt
Yours,
Matt Wood
phillys
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of phillys
Hey Matt, good job! I like your enthusiasm very much Smile

I believe it's alright to call a lady, madam, right?
DWmagic
View Profile
New user
England, Bristol
71 Posts

Profile of DWmagic
Hi phillys,

Thanks for the comment.

Calling a lady 'Madam' is fine, but it seems to be done less in England. It's the same with calling a man 'Sir', it just isn't really done very much here compared to other places. It might be just me though.

-Matt
Yours,
Matt Wood
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Would be great to see you again there mate, if you can make it. So are you going to the Bristol Day of Magic at the weekend?

Sir and Madam is fine, yep, no problem with it at all. Perhaps it doesn't suit everybody, but it's good to be as polite as possible to the helpers - I guess this kind of way of addressing them is one way of showing them respect.

Cheers,

Chris
DWmagic
View Profile
New user
England, Bristol
71 Posts

Profile of DWmagic
I was planning on going to Bristol, but unfortunatly again I'm not able to make it. However, I should make it to Blackpool this year...

-Matt
Yours,
Matt Wood
BenHFarrar
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of BenHFarrar
It's a very good act, but I think that it plays better to laymen then to an audience of magicians at the Magic Circle. I think that an audience like that needs lots of originality.

Will you be entering next time?

Ben
DWmagic
View Profile
New user
England, Bristol
71 Posts

Profile of DWmagic
Ben,

Thanks for the comment. It was my first competition so I thought I may as well do something 'tried and tested'. You are correct, this routine was created for Laypeople rather than Magicians.

Will almost certainly be entering next time round (2 years time mind). It was such a blast.
Yours,
Matt Wood
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » YMOTY Competition Act (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL