The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What Sleight is This? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cory Landels
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of Cory Landels
Hi,

I was playing around with Twisted Sisters, and I came up with this count. I'm pretty sure it has been invented already, has anyone ever seen it?

Here it is - http://media.putfile.com/I-dont-know-the......-help-me
The Hitchhiker
View Profile
Regular user
England
150 Posts

Profile of The Hitchhiker
Hi, Never seen that before, but I would stick with an elmsley for the mentioned effect I didn't find that very convincing.

J.
Greg Hues
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
143 Posts

Profile of Greg Hues
I have never seen it either.

But I agree with "The Hitchhiker", I would stick with an elmsley count, they accomplish the same thing - except an elmsley looks like you are actually counting the cards. That move in the video looks like you just did a "Move", which would probably be counter-productive for the routine. As any suspicion of a move or fakery diminishes the overall impact of the magic.

My two cents on the subject. Kudos for using your head and trying to come up with something new though! Don't ever lose the desire to try a figure out your own way!
Regards,

Greg Hues
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3419 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
I agree, looks too movey!

Seek out Marlo's "OPEC" count and adapt it to your handling, if your desire is to count the cards and end up back at "Ghost Count" start position without resorting to a "Jordan Count".

FWIW

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
The beginnin part of showing a face up card is to show us the condition of the cards, and real part for audience start after squaring the cards.

Don't watch the beginning part, but watch the part after the cards are squared. You only showed back of 3 cards. If your purpose is that, you are doing it right. But it never substitute for Elmsley Count.

Hideo Kato
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Here is my advice...stick with the Elmsley. It's more convincing IMHO. Hideosan is correct in his observation, I only saw the backs of 3 cards. With the Elmsley you display 4 backs if performed with correct technique. The answer to your question is I don't know what sleight that is...yours I quess because I've never seen it until now.
Cardamagically,
<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>> Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
For some more inspiration, check out the Siva count, by Jack Avis.
Also, look into some of the discussions about not doing a count at all for this particular routine. See if it works better for your audience without.
John Heggie
View Profile
Inner circle
Huntersville, NC
1805 Posts

Profile of John Heggie
C.Landels,
You have received great advice on your creation.
I will also agree that I felt that I only saw three cards.

The video camera is a great tool to critique yourself and your friends at the magic café will keep you on the right track.

Keep working those cards,
John
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1436 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Quote:
On 2007-05-08 17:19, C. Landels wrote:
Hi,

I was playing around with Twisted Sisters, and I came up with this count. I'm pretty sure it has been invented already, has anyone ever seen it?

Here it is - http://media.putfile.com/I-dont-know-the......-help-me

I don't like it at all sorry. there is absolutely no sense in it at all. I don't comare this to an elmsley like the others did. I just analysing this move. it is a stupid thing. this sounds hard I know and I don't mean to attack you. it is just regarding this thing I wouldn't even call a move.
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3419 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Ease off the caffeine big fella!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2021 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Here is one for you.
Do you feel an emsley is more convincing than a hammond count?
Shakey
View Profile
Veteran user
In over 4 million i've made
360 Posts

Profile of Shakey
Quote:
On 2007-05-10 16:56, JSBLOOM wrote:
Here is one for you.
Do you feel an emsley is more convincing than a hammond count?

If performed correctly both are convincing as eachother - they serve a different purpose in anycase.
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
I think they are both very good and versatile. We need to remember why we are counting through the cards as well, ie the motive. Not just a move for the sake of it.
MagicMarker
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of MagicMarker
The term count is unfortunate when attached to the Elmsley and Hammon displays. It puts magicians in a frame of mind from the beginning that they are suppoesd to be counting the cards.

It's actually fairly rare that you would need to actually do a false count, something like the Biddle Trick is a good example. More often than not what you are doing is a false display, concealing some cards while showing others etc.

If the terms Elmsley Display and Hammon Display were adopted more I think it might be better. But the term False Count has made it';s way into the DNA of card magic, like the phrase Color Change which is also not a great description for what's actually happening.

As for the sleight that started the thread, I think there is perhaps a reason why it has never (that we know of) made it into print. But it's by experiementing and hitting on these duds you discover the real gems.

-Rd
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Quote:
On 2007-05-11 09:15, MagicMarker wrote:
But it's by experiementing and hitting on these duds you discover the real gems.

I can't agree more with this quote thorough my experience of witnessing working of great creators. As I was Tenyo's creator, I know how Sugawara, Kondo, Suzuki, Shimomura was struggling with thinking, making prototypes and testing their brainchildren. I also know how Dr.Sawa created his masterpieces after struggling with so many ideas. (He is my very good friend and I have stayed at his house for several occasions to have sessions).

For a magic creator, thinking out many ideas is priority. But next important ability is his insight to decide which ideas to be published, or released, or posted (for example, in Magic Caf$B!&(B).

There were some prolific creators who did not have this insight. Recently I knew I had been one of such ones, so I changed my way of working.

Hideo Kato

P.S.
Third important ability for a magic creator would be his capacity of hearing and absorbing other's opinions. I hope the OP has this ability.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What Sleight is This? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL