The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Goshman Balls quality ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JohnWolf
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of JohnWolf
Just a quick question. I recently purchased sponge balls in a magic shop I was assured were by Gosh. I have been away from my Magic for awhile so they may have changed. When I dug out my old set from storage they were as I remembered darker and with more compressibility. When I check out a gosh description online I get "This set is made of hard foam, easy to control."
Part one: has Gosh changed their balls?
Part two: is it for the better? and were can I get the old "quality" balls?
John
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2603 Posts

Profile of Tom G
John..not sure if this is any help and there are more people that know a lot more about sponges, but I think they make a regular and super soft sponge ball.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24184 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's correct. There were two densities of foam. But the Goshman regular balls were never so stiff as to be difficult to work with. As far as the darkness of the color, it varies from lot to lot.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
fbnc
View Profile
Loyal user
Memphis
227 Posts

Profile of fbnc
Check out Empire sponge balls, I picked up a set at the Lance Burton magic shop
in Las Vegas. These are very good quality,look great and wear well.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24184 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Chances are they are made by Goshman for Empire.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

David Tower
View Profile
Regular user
David Tower
124 Posts

Profile of David Tower
I believe some time back Goshman did change the material that their balls were made from because the government outlawed the existing foam rubber chemicals. So if you have some really old sponge balls they will be made from something different. But of course there are regular and super soft balls which are of different densities.

David Tower
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24184 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That is not exactly what happened with polyfoam. The "government" did not "outlaw" the "existing foam rubber chemicals." Polyurethane foam that is used for upholstery has to meet certain test standards that vary from state to state. We have to be specific as to which government "outlawed" which chemicals. Since the polyfoam used for sponge balls is not used for upholstery, it could very well still be used for sponge balls. The standards that are important are those of ignition and flammability. The Federal govermnent, specifically the FTC, felt that some of the labeling the Polyfoam Manufacturer's Association was putting on their products was misleading. So they made them change the way their labels were worded.

California has the strictest standards for polyfoam, so their standards are the ones that most manufacturers follow -- for upholstery. According to the Polyurethane Foam Association web site http://www.pfa.org/ the flexibility characteristics of the old foam vs the new foam is virtually unchanged.

The perceived stiffness may be due to age or due to the balls being of a different density.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5702 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
If you got balls of hard foam, they may be the Multiplying Sponge Balls - not the best for a typical sponge ball routine. However, they will work great for a billiard routine.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24184 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's very likely. They could be a set of the old Chicago multiplying sponge balls. I used to have a set of those.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
I had some really old sponge balls from Goshman, they may've been from the Multiplying set from the late 80's early 90's.

I kept them in a ziploc baggy and they were turning to red powder, I threw 'em away.

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
magic777
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of magic777
All the sponge balls by Gosh I have purchased come with the little Gosh routine on the leaflet. Perhaps they also sell them without?
japanmagic
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of japanmagic
Did anyone try the feel of Japan's super soft sponge balls? You can see the pics here:
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~kyschun/balloon/supply.html
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1637 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Speaking of flammability of Sponge Balls - in the early 1980's I tried the routine of Don Alan's where you wrap the sponges in flash paper and set them off with a cigarette. I had flaming sponge balls rolling around on my bed. True story.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, bdekolta, I'll make sure I don't set my sponges on fire with flash paper. I am not aware of that at all.
Magikrn
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of Magikrn
Doesn't Gosh make soft and supersoft sponge balls? I have the supersoft 2 inch blue ones and they compress to practically nothing, smaller than a marble to be exact.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24024 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2007-08-25 19:10, Magikrn wrote:
Doesn't Gosh make soft and supersoft sponge balls?

Yes. The super soft began in the 80's.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Any idea what is the difference between the various super soft sponge balls in the market?
Ryan Matney
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Ryan Matney
I have a simple question, does Goshman make regular density green sponge balls? All of the colored balls (other than red) I see for sale are always super soft. I really want a regular set of green.
www.pocket-tricks.com
The Close-Up Magic Shop
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I just saw a set of Super Soft Red Balls for sale that are made by TENYO and they're selling for $50 on the web! What the hell makes these things so darn good and beter than gosh that would make them so expensive? Anyone know????
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18565 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Somebody must hand carry them to you from Tokyo?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Goshman Balls quality ? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL