The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Steinmeyer's books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cadillaczak
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of cadillaczak
Hey everyone,

I am looking to start building some of my own illusions, just for fun mainly, but possibly to also use in my show. I would love to start with some stuff from jim steinmeyer's books...especially "Hospitality." But I am leary of buying the books for fear that I won't even be able to construct any of it.

Thoughts? Encouragement?
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
Jim's books (and more importantly, thinking behind the effects) are a great place to begin. His plans are far more practical than a lot of them out there. "Hospitality" is a relatively easy build if you have modest building skills depending on how you design it to fit your act/personality.

Others can be a little daunting and occasionally there is a mistake in dimensioning. Always construct a mock-up first to work out any kinks.

As for encouragement, go for it! It can be fun. If you go too far and look at doing it for a living, beware. There's no quicker way change love to hate.
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Be sure to start with some basic illusion construction books, such as Paul Osborne's Easy Build Illusions. They will give you a lot of tips basic to anything you build. Also, see about taking a course in woodworking at a local community college or technical center if you have never done much of it before.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Jim's book 'Modern Art' which has the plans for Hospitality, Shadow Theater and Modern Art is a very good book!! I built each illusion and I use all three of them in my show. If you want to see pics PM me. Jim's books are onpoint!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Steinmeyer's books (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL