The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » How to attach silk on cane in midst of performance? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

afoi
View Profile
Regular user
malaysia
142 Posts

Profile of afoi
Any one have any idea?
- a f o i -
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
Velcro on the cane. If its a chefon(sp) silk it will work. Use the rough side of the velcro.

Best
Brandon
The Wagsters: World Class Magic & Illusion
www.wagstermagic.com
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
Good idea, but you may go though a lot of silks if you do over and over on the same place of the silk. Just be sure you have a silk to practice with that you don't mind getting messed up.

Other then that, it should work great!

The Great Danton
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
If it's to attach to an appearing cane before production, then a gut loop has to be the best method. A magnet would also work (sewn into a corner), but less reliably, and in my opinion less deceptive.

I shouldn't worry about messing up a silk, I'd recommend having a box of random silks for trying to figure out stuff anyway.... Silks to the manipulator are like cards to the close-up magician, you have boxes full of odd old ones!

Paul

(Incedently, you know that Dante's first successor was called the Great Danton?)
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
Umm. I wouldn't have thought about a magnet, but like you said it probably wouldn't work as well anyway.

If you do have a box of silks, go for it...if not, get a box of silks! =>

Danton

P.S. Paul, I did know that...very interesting, you learn something new everyday. I of course took it from Hugh Jackman's character in The Prestige. =]
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
You can put a small dot of Velcro on each. Loop on the silk and hook on the cane. That is how I load my silk fountain.

ChrisG
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
Luke Sherratt
View Profile
Loyal user
The Isle Of Wight, England
246 Posts

Profile of Luke Sherratt
I use a magnet to do it, tie a very very small one in a corner of a silk then tape a slightly bigger stronger one to the cane and bada bing! It has never failed me.

Hope this helps,

Luke
We're 106 miles from Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
When I used to do color changing canes. I would attach the silk to the cane with double stick tape. It was clear and worked plenty fine enough for my needs. Something to think about or play around with. some good ideas posted above.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
If double stick tape is not handy, use a stip of regular tape and fold the end over about a quarter of an inch (or a centimeter, for you metrics out there) to make a tab.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Aaron. Great suggestion and that has also worked for me in the past when I did not have double-stick tape available.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Magnets do work better than velcro, they kind of find their own way to each other in performance, if you know what I mean.

But the very best method is the gut loop, your cane will swollow the silk, but isn't actually attached to it, so your displays are so clean.

Paul
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Try using fine thin guitar or piano string as gut loop for the appearing cane. Just get the end of the silk through the loop - the action is like you are stroking the silk. As the silk reaches the middle point - let the cane appear. The sudden appearance of the cane during the stroking motion makes the transformation of the silk stronger and surprising.
oso2you
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
128 Posts

Profile of oso2you
My Walsh appearing cane which I purchased about 50 yrs ago for $12.50 (funny how I remember that) has a male snap fastener attached inside which mates with a female fastener sewn on the corner of the silk. That cane is still in great shape. A real quality product.
afoi
View Profile
Regular user
malaysia
142 Posts

Profile of afoi
Thanks everyone, let me clarify, its a metal appearing cane i`m talking about.
gut loop are very sensible to use,
but snap??
can I know at least how big the snap should be?
and james special thanks to you, pray for my luck this coming competition.
- a f o i -
afoi
View Profile
Regular user
malaysia
142 Posts

Profile of afoi
Wagster, can plz tell me wats a chefon silk?
you mean chiffon is it??
- a f o i -
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » How to attach silk on cane in midst of performance? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL