The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How do I get more gigs? (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
310 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
Since when was age a factor? More of an excuse?

Food for thought

Sam Pearce
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Quote:
On 2007-05-10 20:41, samp321 wrote:
Since when was age a factor? More of an excuse?

Food for thought

Sam Pearce

Not an excuse. I highly doubt that a bunch of corporate execs would want me performing at their next meeting. I would love to do it though.

Any books that can point me in the right direction?

Best,
Steve
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
310 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
May I ask how old you are?

I'm turning 16 in a couple months, and I have no problems getting shows because of age.
Do not let that stand in your way!

Sam Pearce
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20726 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Sam is right to a point.

Age is not a factor. Now the lack of experience that results from such a tender age, well THAT is a factor which fortunatly you will grow out of.

Don't highlight your age for people. Be "young, hip" and so on.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Quote:
On 2007-05-11 00:12, Dannydoyle wrote:
Don't highlight your age for people. Be "young, hip" and so on.

That is one of my best marketing points, the fact that I can bring a fresh generation of magic, and I'm not the cliched magician that most adults/older clients imagine when they hear "magician." I am 19 in a few months, and like it has been said, I have no trouble getting gigs due to my age. I've been booking paid gigs since I was 16.
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
You have to pay your dues somewhere. Why not get paid to pay? Restaurants...baby...restaurants.
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm going to wait and see what happens with my new website and stuff and go from there.

Best,
Steve

P.S. I'm 17 years old. Been performnig at RR since December 2006. Smile
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
Steve,

While I think a lot of good advice has been offered above, I will caution you to make your decisions according to your needs and wants.

You need to ask yourself a few questions:

Why do I want to do more shows?

What do I expect to get out of doing more shows?

What am I willing to sacrifice to get these shows?

Will getting more shows interfere with my life?

What type of shows am I going to go after?

Do I have the resources to build the type of show I want to do?

Am I willing to do a few "Comp" shows to get my name out?

Where could I start getting shows with what I have today?

How well rounded of a person / entertainer / professional am I?

Once you have answered some questions you should focus on pointing your magic in the directions that the collective responses lead you in.

I will give you an example of how you may want to use some "self talk" to answer one of the questions above.

The question: Will getting more shows interfere with my life?

At 17 you have a lot going on in your life, School, Friends, Parties, Sports, Girlfriends / Boyfriends, family commitments, real job, vacations, etc...

If you get a booking for a show on a Saturday afternoon for little money and then a friend calls you up and says "lets go and do..... whatever are you going to choose the friend that you want to hang out with or the show that is not going to pay much but it is a show.

If you answer go do the show no matter how much you want to go hang out with your friend than you are probably ready to start moving ahead, but if you had to think about it and struggle with the idea you should probably not start at this time. That does not mean that you are a bad magician or that you will never get to the point where you are ready it just says you are a normal kid.

Booking shows involves sacrifice for someone of your age, because during the time when you are going to be able to do most of the shows you also will have other things going on that may interest you. Magic as a career is not for everyone a lot of people will tell you go for it and jump in with both feet but I am offering that you really think about it first.

At your age I see nothing wrong with getting a show a month and using that as experience while you hone your skills and you learn about the business. You can always continue to practice and get better while you are gaining life, work, and educational experiences.

When you get into college you have time to take business courses and learn about building a business out of what you do. You should not expect that you have the non-magic skills to run a business at this time, look at all of the people here on this board who are 30, 40, 50, and 60, who are still trying to figure it out and who do not have all of the answers.

So my advice is think about it make sure that you are ready and don’t pressure yourself into thinking just because you have great magic skills that you "have" to do shows, perform where and when you can and then if that turns into something bigger than great but no matter what don’t fall into the "I know a bunch of tricks so I should be professional" trap. There is nothing wrong with being a working armature because in fact that is what most of the people here in the Café are.

Good luck.
KG
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
gardini
View Profile
Regular user
Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
158 Posts

Profile of gardini
Hello

Brady advice is the Best. If you want more shows you have to learn not only to sell your show but more importantly sell yourself. Two books I think you should read is think and grow rich by napoleon hill which will help open up possibillities on how to reach you goals, and How to win friends and influance people by dale carnigie which teaches you on how to sell yourself and handle people. In my humble opionion they should be required reading for anyone entering business.

Gardini
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
Steve,

In addition to everything else you do, you have to get some ink in the local papers. By that I mean you need to get articles written about you. They can have the immediate effect of getting you some gigs but more importantly your clippings go into your media kit (also known as a press kit) and they help you build a reputation.

You need a PR program to get your name out there. Learn how to write a press release or get the help of someone who can. Do a few benefit shows but don't just do the shows themselves. Send press releases about them to your local media outlets. Small market newspapers and radio stations are ALWAYS looking for something interesting and offbeat to tell people about.

Here it is a nutshell:

Cold call or use your contacts to get a benefit someplace that fits your style. A retirement community, a school, a charity. There's nothing wrong with working a freebie for a worthy cause. Now...

Once you get the booking your PR machine kicks in. You write up your press release and fax it or mail it to local media outlets. The press release gives the who, what when and where of your performance. Include a picture and your bio. Then call the outlets and invite them to cover the event. Then...

Whether or not any of the outlets cover the event, have pictures taken and then do a follow-up press release. If money was raised, say how much. Get quotes from the audience and whoever was your contact there. "He was amazing!" "I haven't laughed that much in ages!" "I hope he comes back." Whatever good things people say.

Then do it again every few months until you've got so much work that it no longer makes sense to do it.

Best of luck to you.
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Quote:
On 2007-05-10 13:07, Hart Keene wrote:
Let me make this a "little" easier. I would start with restaurants. I have read your posts on the Caf� and I have a good idea of where you want to be at in the next few years.

I can tell you from experience that if you work in restaurants and hand out a ton of well made business cards YOU WILL GET MORE WORK.

Thanks Hart, that was helpful. Smile

While target marketing is clearly best, IMO finding the individual decision makers within that target continues to be the toughtest aspect of marketing.

I'll add my praise for Jim Snack's course and a quick thanks to the other Magi posting here as well.

Leland
the bozboz
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of the bozboz
Have you tried faxback marketing? This helps me book a lot of shows. Also repeat bookings are good so try and get those too. Price yourself at 2.5 times the cost of a meal with soft drinks plus the cost of a regular side (eg. beans)
vincentmusician
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
192 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
How to get more shows? Don't we all want more! A bigger house, more money, more this, more that. Most people on here have made good suggestions. I am not going to reveal what took me years to learn and how I get more shows. However, I will make one suggestion. Look at the people who are successful. What are they doing to get more shows. Why are they getting more shows? This is one of the things I have done. Good Luck. Cheers!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20726 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ummm why not reveal it?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10264 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I've noticed Vincentmusician is known on the Café for digging up 13-17 year old threads to simply offer his basic single post opinion without actually contributing or furthering such topics or discussions or ever offering any real depth or detail. Much does seem like teasing or stirring the pot.
vincentmusician
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
192 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
I'm not teasing people but everyone wants to be spoon fed without working at it. Okay. I will give you a bit more advice. Spend just as much time working on promoting your act as you do practising and working on your act. There is a lot of good advice on here already. Cheers!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20726 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes useless platitudes is exactly what everyone was hoping for.

So you tease people then blame them for not following through. Fantastic.

It is possible others are not fortunate enough to have your experience and spoon feeding them isn’t the crime of the century.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How do I get more gigs? (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL