The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Miser’s Dream Granted by Mikame (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Hernan
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco
126 Posts

Profile of Hernan
Levents Misers Dream gave me so much stuff, so many gimmicks,
I am still working down the list of Levent Gimmick's.

I do like the simplicity of Capehart's decades old street routine.

Levent and Kenton both advise a cheap gimmick called thread. I will let you
look that up. Levent uses thread a couple times.
jodbirch
View Profile
New user
Arkansas
11 Posts

Profile of jodbirch
BTW, it's literally a MINI-DVD that comes with the Mikame set. It's a 3" mini disc with a 15 minute explanation demo on it. It was hidden on the bottom of the box that it comes in. It's all in Japanese, I might add...but there are some subtitles and it's pretty self-explanatory. It really simplifies things for a Miser's Dream routine, IMHO.
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
Levants Misers dream seems to cover it all. And I personally like pure slight of hand, but if gimicks improve the magic I'm all for it.

Craig
Hernan
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco
126 Posts

Profile of Hernan
Quote:
Cpontz wrote:
Levants Misers dream seems to cover it all. And I personally like pure slight of hand, but if gimicks improve the magic I'm all for it.
Craig

Craig,
I RESPECT YOUR OPINION.

But in a friendly ribbing kind of way.

A lot of what Levant does is with gimmicks!
His cruise ship bucket is a swiss army knife of possible gimmicks!

It always amazes me what big stage people (I am not talking about fat stage people, but people who perform on _BIG_ stages)

can get away with. Is that even real magic? It seems more like presentation.
Just running at the mouth. No need to humor me.
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Hernan

Yes, on a technical level you can get away with a lot on a big stage. What is really difficult on a big stage is drawing the audience in and holding their attention for a long time especially with small props.

On my Miser's Dream DVD set I show how my personal routine works. Not because I fully expect anyone to do my routine, but really in the hope that it will provide inspiration and show that you should never give up on making a trick match your artistic vision. And to some extent I imply this on the video. If you ask me, I would say that the two best routines on the DVDs are the Flosso routine and the real Charlie Miller routine (as opposed to the Miller routine from "Modern Coin Magic"). Those two routines are masterpieces from two giants in the Art. If you get a volunteer on stage the Flosso routine is unbeatable. And if you work alone, you can't do better than Charlie Miller. And with the exception of Flosso coin wand, neither routine uses gimmicks. Just a pail and a handful of coins.

Best regards,
Levent
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
946 Posts

Profile of Riley
The Mikame set is very nice, coins and holders are good and well made. I use a champagne bucket and it's nice to start off in a natural way - remove an empty bottle from the bucket, turn the bucket upside down - a few drops of water fall out - the bucket must be empty, right?? No need to "over prove" anything. The bucket is not the focal point - catching coins from nowhere is the effect.

My favourite coin for this effect was always the old half-crown. Nice size and weight. The Mikame holders will hold six of these.

I love this set. Very pleased with it.

Riley
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I bought 2 Mikame sets because I loved it so much. I am all for a pure sleight of hand routine but the gimmick allows so many more options, i.e. removing your hand from the bucket, getting rid of the gimmick whenever you want, keeping the coins all together pre-trick very conveniently. on and on and on ...

It also allows you do do the routine and get into it with very little hassle, even surrounded. The gimmick is not so much (for me) about making the routine easier, it makes the routine easier to get into in all situations.

I retrofitted my gimmicks to use magnets. Nope. No silver dollars will work with this model. Maybe a different model in the future.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1768 Posts

Profile of wally
Is the mikame gimmick ok for norm nielsons palming coins. please pm me, thanks.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I don't think so.

Norm's palming coins are dollar sized. This takes half dollar sized coins.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
I'm really liking this

Just might have to order it

Lots of laughs doing kids shows with this..pulling coins from the kids shoes..elbows..etc.

Don
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3226 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I own this. I love it. The gimmick makes the routining of this effect extremely easy and the coins are very nice too. Highly recommended by me.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
ARNOMAGIE
View Profile
Regular user
France
200 Posts

Profile of ARNOMAGIE
Just one tip :

I like the Mikame gimmick but I find the coins too little for stage work.
I transformed the gimmick to use with Norm Nielsen palming coins.

Cut the gimmick in two parts, then epoxy the parts on a metal piece (with the correct space in between for the Nielsen coins).

Little tricky to make, but it works perfectly.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I agree about the stage work thing. The coins are a bit quiet for stage work.
Too light weight. That's the only drawback.

However, since you can use half dollars instead (just fewer of them) I find that acceptable. You can always use the palming coins for a stream of coins which would be fine. I do consider switching back to half dollars in the gimmick itself for that very reason but have not done so yet.

Instead of 10-11 coins you'd be down to 6 in the gimmick but I think that is more than acceptable. I love using this gimmick. It doesn't remain in the bucket for very long during my routine. Just long enough to make the people wonder and say WTF to themselves, and then it's gone.

Being able to show both hands completely empty and perhaps the bucket as well, before the trick begins is a great plus to me.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
mediamonk
View Profile
Regular user
Walla Walla
103 Posts

Profile of mediamonk
That's exactly how I use it. Show both hands empty, hold the bucket upside down to show it empty and away we go...
"There are two ways of living life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is." -Albert Einstein
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
826 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Quote:
I retrofitted my gimmicks to use magnets. Nope. No silver dollars will work with this model. Maybe a different model in the future.

I asked about this in another thread. Knowing this and seeing an actual picture of the gimmick on an ad copy has sold me.

If Levent had a digital download of his Miser's dream for sale I would be watching it now as well. I hate waiting for things in the mail.
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Everyone that sees this gimmick ends up loving it. I have yet to have someone buy it and come back saying they wont use it and find it helpful.

The only thing I wish is that Mikame sold just the palming coins if we wanted to expand a set.

but overall this is one of those items that is worth every penny.

With that said, I think I will order a few more for the shop tonight!
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
MuleePete
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of MuleePete
Looking for mine to arrive and am very excited to include it in the show. I'm really glad to read I made a good choice. Thanks for the posts to help answer questions.

Mulee
dannsirs
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of dannsirs
Mikame gimmick, Levent DVD's - a perfect match
quick & efficient
Both are quality items
Keep on Entertaining

Mark James
dannsirs@yahoo.com
http://www.UltimateDanceZone.com
The Old Man
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of The Old Man
Will this gimmick work with a "Chris Capehart--Bed, Bath & Beyond" size bucket? He recommends a small diameter bucket because it reduces the abilty to see hand movement when dropping the coins.
curtnelson
View Profile
Regular user
I found Waldo hiding behind one of my
121 Posts

Profile of curtnelson
I had the same question about using it with the utensil holder recommended by Chris Capehart -- see here.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Miser’s Dream Granted by Mikame (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL