The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Very bullyish male dove... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
I have two beautiful ringneck doves. A male and a female.
I would love to be able to cage them together and have more beautiful ringneck doves.
They spend hours staring wistfully at each other through the bars of the cages. He coos and wingflips just like a normal dove.
The problem is, that when I put them together, the male will not stop pecking at her. I thought this would mellow out after they had been together for a while and he had established his dominance, but it doesn't. He has actually attacked her to the point where she bled.
I don't get it. Outside of the cage, he chases her around the house until she can't stand it and runs back to her cage. Yet they cuddle up next to each other against the bars.
I have never had more than one dove at a time, and never tried to breed them before. Is this normal behavior? I cannot stand seeing my female being beaten up like that. She is a sweet and broody dove, always laying eggs and sitting on them properly. He's very handlable and tame towards humans, but when she's accessible he goes nuts. The cage that we intended for them to share is actually quite big, so overcrowding is not an issue.
I've gone to dove breeding sites, and read all I could find. Nothing I have found seems to deal with this precise issue.

Advice is appreciated.
Gwyd
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Gwyd, a couple of questions

Are you sure you have a male and a female?
Did you raise them or buy them from someone else?
Doves mate for life so if he did have a mate and then was separated from her, he may be frustrated.

I have had males that were just too aggressive. He thinks he is "lovemaking" but is just too rough.
Where the magic begins
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Well...One lays eggs and sits on them, the other bobs and coos all of the time. I'm not terribly good at sexing doves beyond behaviors.
I did not raise the male. He was found about 7 years ago wandering around loose in the grass. No owner was found despite posters and such. The female we have had since about 6 or 8 weeks old. He's the only male she has ever seen.
Gwyd
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
OK, I'd go along with them being male and female. You said the male was found about 7 years ago. Is that when you got him? Did this problem just start recently or have they always fought?
Where the magic begins
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
If you got male 7 years ago , all odds are that he mated, and she is not his mate.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
I have had him for about three years from the person who found him. We got the female at the same time we were given the male, but she was a baby at the time. So his a good deal older than him. We tried to introduce them once she was large enough to defend herself a little.
Wish we knew the history better. The male may well have had a previous mate. That would explain a lot.
Do you think we should try introducing them to one another periodically anyways, or should we leave well enough alone?
(Such a pity though...He is a gorgeous peach ringneck!)
Gwyd
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
So, doves mate for life.

If the pair gets seperated, what do they each do with the rest of their years?

Live celebately? Even upon meeting another of the oppostite sex?

Sincere question.
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Gwyd, try to take them out of the cage and thoroughly clean the cage with bleach. bars and all. Put down new bedding material and the introduce both birds to the "new" cage at the same time. This will most likely solve the problem. The male is being territorial right now, but a "new" place with the female will change from fighting, to trying to court the female.

Karol Kool - they mate for life when they are together. Once one "passes on" or "goes away" there is actually a phase of depression that they go through. Sometimes they get aggressive and bitter, and other times they don't do much at all. once a Mate is lost (in my cases anyhow), I have cleaned out the cages, and eventually introduced them to other possible mates. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Most of the time though, if its the female that passes, the male dove doesn't take long to get back into action, just most of the time a little aggressive at first.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Yup, boys will be boys. I've had mated pairs where the male still bowed and cood at females in other cages but would try to mate if they came in contact with them. Guess it's like "boys night out" for them. They can look but can't touch Smile
Where the magic begins
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
@Dave

Did you mean "but would try to mate" or "but would NOT try to mate" in the above?
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Yup, thanks for catching that. My fingers were moving faster than my thoughts.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Very bullyish male dove... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL