The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusions that you still can't figure out (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Magician of the century
View Profile
New user
Washington
57 Posts

Profile of Magician of the century
Many magicians are fooled by David Copperfield's Laser illusion, and it bothers them, but I really want to know how he does Test Conditions. He owns the rights to this, and it is frickin' amazing. I have no clue how he does it. So what illusions still fool you?
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
None, but that's not the point. I am entertained by some performers and their routines.
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
When Origami first came out, I was totally floored and in the dark. Yeah, yeah, everyone in my group all guessed about the b***, and trust me, they were all guessing to what it had to be. But I couldn't accept that for an answer till I saw one in person, and I'm still shocked it's all about the b***. Genius design!

Rand Woodbury's Z-table also blew my mind. Thank God he printed it in his first book!
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I don't work with large animals, so some of S&R's appearance cages still puzzle me. I think I know, as there are only one of two possibilities, but I don't REALLY know! And Rick Thomas had a cool-looking folding crate trick that fooled me (maybe if I saw it again I could figure it out, but the first time caught me off guard).

On the flip side, I wonder if some tricks really fool people. I still can't understand how "Interlude" is even a trick...when I first saw it, I thought I must have missed something because I couldn't understand what the magic was supposed to be; I thought there was more to the trick. To this day, I really wonder if anyone even knows what the effect is supposed to be (without being told), let alone think it's magical.

A lot of levitations fool me. I never did a levitation beyond a Super-X, broom suspension, or chair suspension, so I appreciate being fooled by them.
r1ch-oxford
View Profile
Regular user
Oxford, England
179 Posts

Profile of r1ch-oxford
Osmosis fooled me for a long time. I still think it's a highly under-utilised principle.
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
I forgot to mention...it's the mentalism bits that fool me and keep me fooled. Most are so freakin' clean and are done before you can turn your brain on! Way too many to list. I'm a full-time mentalist, and I am still floored often!

r1ch-oxford... Darn you and that evil red box in your picture! EVIL! lol
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
The one illusion that always got me and was so impressive to me was watching Hans Moretti perform "The Box". Those of you who have seen this illusion done and have witnessed it will know what I am talking about. It is just so well done. I always loved that illusion, and to this day, it still puzzles me. Great entertainment that I will always remember.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Magician of the century
View Profile
New user
Washington
57 Posts

Yeah, Osmosis is an amazing illusion. Does Jim Steinmeyer have the plans or the method published in any of his books?
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
It's funny someone mentions Test Conditions because, when DC came to San Diego, I got picked for that. (I actually pushed my girlfriend, rather violently, out of the way. Could you blame me?) I wasn't very interested in illusions at the time, but I sat 2 feet away from it, and I still have no idea how it works. It looks exactly as it is on YouTube!!!

I will tell you this:

When I looked away to talk with the assistant, she said, "David is going to pretend to have your wallet, pretend it's yours." I said OK, and sure enough, he "stole my wallet".

That taught me that DC takes control over every moment of his show. Nothing is left to chance.

Anyway:

Test Conditions
Osmosis
...and a ton more, I just don't know the names!

Josh London
Magician of the century
View Profile
New user
Washington
57 Posts

Thanks for that, joshlondon17. David's a tricky one. I am sure his assistant took your wallet. I now know that Test Conditions was created by Gary Ouellet and was also known as the Millennium Cabinet.
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
Kyle,

I would have to agree with you about "The Box"! It is one of the most baffling illusions I have ever seen myself. I have no idea how he does it, and I think its simplicity is part of the reason!

Robert
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
DC's "Tides" always got me, and only recently did I figure that one out.

--Jack Smile
Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
869 Posts

Profile of Laszlo Csizmadi
Here, you can see the Moretti picture:

http://www.moretti.de/hans/pages/sensationen/schwerter.html
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Thanks, Laci and Robert. I agree that maybe it is so baffling to me because of the simplicity of the illusion he does. It was one of the most amazing things I had seen when I first saw it. I remember forgetting I was a magician and going back to just being amazed and entertained all over again.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Profile of Silvio Solaris
I love DC's Voyeur vanish of the girls on top of the "see through table". That's the best vanish I have seen for years. And so fast! I am sure he does it differently live (which I haven't seen), and if he doesn't use editing and/or Chroma Key in the TV special, it is very impressive. Even though I have an idea of possible methods (where else can they go...?), it still baffles me. It's kind of like the Pendragons' Sub Trunk without the change. Very well done, David.
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

'Is all that we see and seem but a dream within a dream?' E.A.Poe
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Profile of Silvio Solaris
Unfortunately, he doesn't perform the greatest illusions anymore.
If Laser, Voyeur, and Test Condition would still be in his show, it would be much, much better in my opinion. Also, Webster, as well as his Squeezebox, can slowly retire... I think it is due to the fact that they are hard to perform live using a different method as in the special and achieve the same climax.
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

'Is all that we see and seem but a dream within a dream?' E.A.Poe
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
A lot of Paul Daniels' illusions from his TV show: the Vanishing TV Camera, Crawling Thru a Wall of Coffee Mugs, and more. The oldies are the goodies, I guess.
AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
First, I second Hans Moretti.
I love that so much, I DON'T want to know how it's done. I'd honestly rather remain in the dark about that one. So awesome...

Secondly, as far as Copperfield is concerned, I've always been baffled by his appearance on the sheet of steel (where the guys are holding it up, the cloth is lowered, and he just BAM appears!).
Gets me every time.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a fooled and happy idiot.
amazingcarrington
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of amazingcarrington
The Square Circle production.....OK....just kidding.
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
The Moretti Box is super. I'm throwing in with Aaron on DC's "One" opening appearance from Tornado of Fire, it's sublime. And I agree with Silvio - the Voyeur vanish and "gradual" reappearance of the *two* girls is superlative, perhaps the best around. I think his Motorcycle to Girls still baffles many people, as does the full working behind the Portal sequence. I also liked the Lottery routine when I saw it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusions that you still can't figure out (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL