The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Had my first show last night... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ross
View Profile
Elite user
Bristol
479 Posts

Profile of Ross
Hi all,

I did my first show last night at a burlesque type night in Bristol. Thought I'd post some thoughts...

Experience is gold dust. You just cannot get that confidence in the performance space unless you go out and do it. I was a little nervy, the odd thing was that although I went out with about 6 effects and planned to do 3-4 at each table, I only ended up doing the opener most of the time before moving on! When I did break into a second piece, I was more relaxed and got into it a bit more. The environment was quite challenging - noisy and crowded - so this meant that I felt some of the more involved effects (childhood memory) couldn't really be done.

All in all, it was a great experience. The effect I did was met well and the main thing is that I got out and did it. I also feel that next time I go and do it I'll be more confident and ready to move onto a few more effects. Approaching a group cold is quite hard.

By the way, this was my opener...

"Hello there. Welcome to [insert venue]. I hope you're all having a nice evening. My name's Ross. I'm a kind of magician. Can I join you for a few moments and show you a few things to warm the evening up?

I don't know whether you've ever seen a magician in a live setting before? Usually they do a bunch of card tricks and slight a hand stuff. I don't do any of that. The sorts of things I'm interested in are psychology and suggestion. But also the power of intuition an ways of sensing that we don't usually use. Can I try this with you? What's your name? I'm going to write down a letter of the alphabet...

In conclusion, no a roaring success, nor a disaster but I feel I've jumped a hurdle!

Thanks for all your help over the years!

Ross
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Congratulations Ross!

Mark. Smile
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
Congrats Ross..... the confidence will hit you like a ton of bricks one day.
MagicDog
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
174 Posts

Profile of MagicDog
Confidence is performing an effect so many times, that everything that could go wrong with the effect has, an no one except you knew it happened. The first step is always the hardest, then you wonder why it took you so long to take it.

Way to go Ross

John
Make Everyday Magical
DJP
View Profile
Veteran user
London
391 Posts

Profile of DJP
Keep up the good work... there are no mistakes... only feedback! (Peter Jones)

Dave
David
HollyMental
View Profile
Elite user
OR
423 Posts

Profile of HollyMental
Congratulations, Ross!
The devil can advocate for himself.
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
Congrats Ross...I love reading stories of other's success here at the Café!
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1394 Posts

Profile of Piers
"I love reading stories of other's success here at the Café! ".

Absolutely!

Best, Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2021!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Had my first show last night... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL