The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Chan Canasta (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Blackwood
View Profile
Special user
Mind-Play
528 Posts

Profile of Blackwood
I am blown away, of course. I don't remember ever seeing Canasta in the states – though he surely must have appeared on Ed Sullivan's show. Most great European acts did in those days.

Ten minutes, "impromptu," with two decks of cards. About, what, eight or nine different "moments of astonishment" as Chuck Hickock calls them. Beautiful.

But I had to laugh when he pointedly announced at the first that he didn't do tricks but rather experiments, and then proceeded to refer to them as tricks twice in the program.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Quote:
On 2007-05-15 19:03, Blackwood wrote:

But I had to laugh when he pointedly announced at the first that he didn't do tricks but rather experiments, and then proceeded to refer to them as tricks twice in the program.

To be precise, Canasta said that he didn't "call" it a trick; he called it an "experiment". He never said that he didn't do tricks.

Re: his referring to what he was doing as "tricks" later, you might take into account that this program was done years after Canasta was actively performing. That might explain the occasional slip of Canasta's tongue.

- entity
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Entity man calm down. We are not talking about psychics and Randi here. Let it go.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2046 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Yes there were some slips of the tongue such as the "tricks" noted by Blackwood but he hadn't been on TV for 10 years or more and ISTR it being mentioned in the book that he was excited and nervous about the appearance so slip-ups are forgivable.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Chi:

I'm calm. Just trying to say that Canasta said what he said and did what he did for specific reasons. Some of his subtleties are often overlooked if people just assume he's spouting "lines" or being dishonest.

If a person is going to study Canasta, the subtleties of his language and of his actions are important.

Just trying to be of help. I've been studying Canasta and his work for many years. Obviously, your interest in the subject is not as deep as some others, who may find what I share of some value. Please feel free to not be interested, but don't tell others what should interest them.

- entity
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2046 Posts

Profile of David Numen
One of his choices of language fascinate me...he used this in the card effects segment on the video - something along the lines of "Whichever card you choose will turn into the card Michael has" (it's maybe not exactly that but it's more or less).

He also said this occasionally in conjunction with the book test "Whatever page you are thinking of, the 4th word on the 21st line will be (names prediction word) on whatever page you are thinking of" which is beyond just suggesting that he could predict the word...facsinating stuff.
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
One of my most prized possesions in my library is the DVD of "Chan Canasta Live on Television" (March 18 1960 Released for Study Purposes by The Society of Magical History, Boston).

It's Chan in his prime, on his way out for the first time. He really nails it with amazing examples of his power of language touted in previous posts.

The new clip is like watching him "ride a bicycle".

C-DT3
AJX
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of AJX
I can't pin down Canasta's accent. What is his country of origin ?
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
He was born Chananel Milefew in 1920 in Poland. He moved to the UK after a stint in the Royal Air Force in WW2.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Chan Canasta (he took his stage name from the card game) was born Chananel Mifelew in 1920 in Krakow, Poland. His father was a Russian emigre, proud of his boy, who went to Krakow University at the age of 17. After studying philosophy and the natural sciences for a year, he left Poland for Jerusalem, where he started to study psychology. The next year brought the Second World War, and he volunteered for service in the Royal Air Force. He saw action in the Western Desert, North Africa, Greece and Italy, finally becoming a British subject.

He first became known to Magicians when he lived in Holland.

This information is taken from Canasta's Obituary, written by Denis Gifford in The London Times.

- entity
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2007-05-16 12:34, entity wrote:
Chi:

I'm calm. Just trying to say that Canasta said what he said and did what he did for specific reasons. Some of his subtleties are often overlooked if people just assume he's spouting "lines" or being dishonest.

If a person is going to study Canasta, the subtleties of his language and of his actions are important.

Just trying to be of help. I've been studying Canasta and his work for many years. Obviously, your interest in the subject is not as deep as some others, who may find what I share of some value. Please feel free to not be interested, but don't tell others what should interest them.

- entity

When did I tell anyone this should not interest them? I think you are quoting me on things I never said again. Its hard for me to keep up on that stuff.
clowngrass
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of clowngrass
Amazing video! Thanks for posting.
The other evening I dreamt of Chan Canasta for some reason and so I started to read Britlands great book on Chan Canasta called "A Remarkable Man" which I have had for awhile and forgot about. He describes Canasta's shows including this one you posted. So tonight after 2 days of reading this fantastic material I was hoping to see if I can locate his TV shows. I just checked The Magic Café to see if what has been discussed about him (never even contemplating a link to a show) and VIOLA just like magic its posted. Will Wonder's Never Cease!
Thanks again!
I Try
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2007-05-15 02:26, Sleeveless wrote:
Does it get any better than Canasta? Even when he gets it wrong he makes it right! And, is there anything more powerful than his classic force? Study and learn at the feet of the master. I'm so glad that there is some footage of him available.

It DOESN'T!
What a MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE (Mentalism Presentation Version)!!!
When people ask which is the most important work the list is always the usual
13 Steps etc. People should be advised that their second purchase should be
the CC books and video. AND with PLAYING CARDS rotfl
TJ
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2046 Posts

Profile of David Numen
I really don't think there has EVER been a better example on how to do it on so many different levels than Chan.

Personality, technique, psychology, disclaimer, audience management, increasing impact of effects...and much more but I can't think of any.
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2007-05-23 14:30, David Numen wrote:
I really don't think there has EVER been a better example on how to do it on so many different levels than Chan.
Personality, technique, psychology, disclaimer, audience management, increasing impact of effects...and much more but I can't think of any.

If we want to learn anything we need a model
David has made a good start
Personality
Although he is a non-brit, he is a poster boy for an English gentleman.
Perfectly modulated voice with a marked but non-intrusive accent
So polite, well mannered and self effacing
He Dripped with sincerity, good humour and tolerance for the audience
He loved them and they loved him He is, imo, even better than Bill Malone the modern king in this aspect. A much gentler but stronger relationship. Some people may dislike Bill but who could dislike Chan?
George Sanders and David Niven are similar to but weaker at this persona than CC
This certainly means a lot in audience management
Technique
One could almost say: What technique? It was certainly minimalist
A pack of CARDS!!!??? lol That odd shuffle? Is this the truth of KISS?
It certainly made me think
I would be very interested in members views on what I have written and their
views on CC's psychology and the increasing impact of the effects
(David ?)
:)
TJ
bear trees
View Profile
Loyal user
uk
263 Posts

Profile of bear trees
I watched the 1960 episode recently absolutely amazing. Flawless execution and timing he had them eating out of his hand.The bit were Ted Moult says that no one changes there mind during an effect was beautiful,when he changes his mind at the last second and "what will be,will still be" Stunning,the guy had huge cahonas.
Mark Roberts
View Profile
Special user
Nottingham, UK
597 Posts

Profile of Mark Roberts
Quote:
On 2007-05-26 12:52, bear trees wrote:
I watched the 1960 episode recently absolutely amazing. Flawless execution and timing he had them eating out of his hand.The bit were Ted Moult says that no one changes there mind during an effect was beautiful,when he changes his mind at the last second and "what will be,will still be" Stunning,the guy had huge cahonas.

Is this episode online or available for purchase anywhere?
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2046 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Martin Breese sells the DVD containing this episode - http://www.abracadabra.co.uk

It's excellent and I've probably watched it more than any othe rmagic related video.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
There's much more to Canasta's technique than meets the eye. And I don't mean just card handling technique.

- entity
bear trees
View Profile
Loyal user
uk
263 Posts

Profile of bear trees
I got mine from top secret magic.Delivered the next day,excellent service.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Chan Canasta (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL