The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Chan Canasta (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Mark Roberts
View Profile
Special user
Nottingham, UK
597 Posts

Profile of Mark Roberts
Thanks David and Bear Trees. Martin Breese it is Smile
Rory Raven
View Profile
Special user
Providence, RI
514 Posts

Profile of Rory Raven
I love the 60s spy-music intro they give him.

When watching this clip, I'm reminded of seeing a clip of Dai Vernon. We've all seen mentalists and magicians who are slick and polished and flashy, and where evrything is a too-obvious scripted clever line.

Then I saw Vernon doing the cups and balls. His moves were perfect, because they didn't look like moves at all! It just looked like an old guy doing exactly what he said he was doing. The oft-discussed Vernon "naturalness" in action.

Seeing Chan Canasta, there is that same quality. No flashy moves, no "Look at how effing cool I am" attitude. It all just looks natural, it doesn't look like he's *doing* anything.

Chan Canasta had the Dai Vernon mojo in spades.

Rory
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx
visit www.roryraven.com today!
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
It makes me think that the whole 'mentalism vs. mental magic' debate is a waste of everyones time. He refers to it as 'psycho-magic', because the effect of mind reading is magical (by the true definition of the word Magic). So mentalism IS mind-magic, because it should always be magical.
And it's easy to see why Chan Canasta is Derren's 'hero' in the world of magic and mind-reading. He was just so calm and cool about it all...
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1535 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Since the first time I saw Chan Canasta on video I was blown away by his love of his audience and his humility. You couldn't help but be drawn to him. I got the feeling that you really wanted him to succeed.

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18808 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I recommend people stay away from mr. canasta, purely cos I don't wanna share...

the britland books on him are superb...i've got the audio cd and dvd of the performance too...fascinating...

I love his over-politeness mixed with his sterness at times...

"You said it with a smile on your face..." an aligator's smile that was when chan castigated the presenter..

and I also love the fact that he was somewhat of an outcast from both the magic and mentalism fraternity...
I've asked to be banned
phil in KC
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of phil in KC
This is my first time seeing Chan Canasta in action -- wow!

Early on in this topic folks talked about Canasta's easy handling of his mistake in the book test. My sense is that this wasn't a mistake at all, just part of the presentation.

-Phil in KC
mindsynced
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of mindsynced
A real pleasure to watch. Thanks for sharing the link.
Keith Brown
Entertainer, Speaker and Author
"Exceeding YOUR Entertaiment Expectations"
www.keithbrownentertainment.com

"Making Magical Memories~Teaching Biblical Truth"
www.keithbrown.org
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2552 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I believe there was a documentry film done called "The Amazing Mr.Canasta". Anyone see or heard of it?
I think he's great, I bought the DVD intending to watch it once & I've watched it at least 20 times. The accent, the look, the gratious charm. Fantastic. I wonder what laymen thought of him? Did they think he was a magician? a mindreader? a cardshark?
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2007-12-01 11:29, David Meade wrote:
Bump. Great video. I recommend anyone interested in mentalism download this, keep it, before it disappears.

Do you know a good tool for downloading it. I've tried but had no luck
Cheers
TJ
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1164 Posts

Profile of Hill
Vixy.net
Andrew Sway
View Profile
Loyal user
-------
248 Posts

Profile of Andrew Sway
David thanks for the link vixy.net
I love his natural performingstyle this man is a genius
I will download it now
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1942 Posts

Profile of Lior
I was in his live show when he was in Israel many years ago.
Amazing
2 card effects and the book test and a lot of persona

Lior
New shop: 1A magic
You can buy the selfie card trick.
The Zoom project
Talk To The Screen
https://1amagic.com/
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Chan Canasta (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL