The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Has anyone seen "Koran Medallion with Luke Jermay" (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
Smile
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13150 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Harishjose
I thought the same thing. Smile
Ian Broadmore
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Ian Broadmore
I have a version of the gold medallion I designed myself
*Medallion is brass
*Number is Actually ENGRAVED on one side
*For a kicker the spectators astrological sign is engraved on the other!
*Medallion is in box on table BEFORE prediction is made
I designed it a few years ago but could not find a suitable manufacturer
Boo Hat
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Boo Hat
Tony - your categorisiation of this as slum magic is nonsense. Slum magic is cheap and tawdry. This is a trick using a poker chip. You may argue it cheapens the original medallion effect - but others could argue that by using a commonplace object it makes the magic more meaningful. There are shades of grey, and you could make a perfectly reasoned argument that this version is not as good as the original. But to call it slum is silly and weakens your point.

My point on Osterlind's version is exactly that he didn't add anything - but he didn't get a bunch of people saying he had no right to sell the explanation. Luke added something yet he gets hassled. I'm not sure whether he really added enough to justify selling it myself - but clearly it's more than others did so there are double standards in play if we hassle him alone.

It looks like I didn't understand your point on exposure. It seems from your new post that you mean the demo exposes the secret. You may be right there - it would have been better to show the effect as it plays in the real world with a spectator reading the inscription. However, inadvertently "exposing" a secret on a demo of a product on a magic shop site is hardly a huge crime.

I'm not here to defend Luke, so I'll stop posting at this point. But it seems to me that there has been a huge overreaction - perhaps because it's Penguin, pehaps because Luke has ****ed off some people before with overpriced manuscripts and late delivery, perhaps because some people don't like Hats - who knows. To me it doesn't seem justified.

BH
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13150 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Boo

You wrote, "Slum magic is cheap and tawdry." In my opinion (and several others who have posted) this release fits that description.

Tony
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Quote:
On 2007-05-23 13:07, Boo Hat wrote:

My point on Osterlind's version is exactly that he didn't add anything - but he didn't get a bunch of people saying he had no right to sell the explanation. Luke added something yet he gets hassled. I'm not sure whether he really added enough to justify selling it myself - but clearly it's more than others did so there are double standards in play if we hassle him alone.

BH

Since it was part of a DVD series of classic mentalism effects I hardly think comparing what Osterlind did to what Luke has done is valid - in fact bringing up Osterlind's DVD set kind of proves a point - for a few bucks more someone can buy the Osterlind DVD and get a bunch of effects including the original (and by the sounds of it better) Koran Medallion Effect. Given this fantastic resource it begs the question why exactly Jermay felt it needed more exposure and dubious "improvement".

It's not double standards - there are many who would have preferred Osterlind hadn't done the ETMMM releases - the point of interest here regardless of opinion on ETMMM and Jermay's release is that Osterlind had already done it.

What next? Penguin presents "C*nt*r T**r with Luke Jermay"?
jasons_mind
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of jasons_mind
Quote:
On 2007-05-23 13:07, Boo Hat wrote:

BH

Richard's handling did the effect justice, it maintained the integrity and subtlety of the effect. Also, it was on a DVD with several other great classic effects. All for only 3 times the price of the Penguin Download.

Luke has made changes to the effect that, as Tony so eloquently puts it, makes it Slum Magic. It's just bad, and is blatently apparent as to how the effect is performed.

Jason.
Bennettjc
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, NY
257 Posts

Profile of Bennettjc
"....What next? Penguin presents "C*nt*r T**r with Luke Jermay"?..."

Perhaps. But I believe Criss Angel beat him to it. I skimmed Angel's book at the store the other day and am pretty sure that he did teach (or is it expose?) the CT.
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1268 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
The CT has been exposed, or taught, in many places. The popular Klutz Book of Magic has it in there, as well as other books and TV shows. Used well, it still kills.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
I would say that releasing another performers work is wrong.
And personaly I think it is much worse when it is done on a large scale.

It sevearly devalues the work and value of the method in my opinion.

J ack

H.O.A-X

Click here to view attached image.
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
These downloadable videos available on the website at the moment are for very lazy and unknowledgeable 'magicians'/'mentalists'. eg Breather Crimp, Dribble Pass, etc. Rather depressing to say the least.
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
I have just a quick practical question, although I in no way want to interrupt the thoughtful discussion going on here:

If I use the "...is that you?" line with my own touches--kind of a variation, really--do I still have to send royalties through PayPal? Also, please consider that I only want to use it in a private message.

Many thanks in advance,

Alan
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
As long as you credit me, I guess I can let you use it...

WOW... Maybe I chose the wrong career...

Seriously, do what you want. I am out of this "is that you.." game.
To believe is Magic.
Kevin Cook
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Kevin Cook
I feel that Luke Jermay has taken himself in the wrong direction and has ruined his mystique and intrigue. I remember just a few years ago the name 'Jermay' was an exciting and mysterious word. He was the master of suggestion and when word spread that he was releasing a new book it was an exciting event. This mysterious master of suggestion was moving the art forward.

Now he's a chubby Penguin Magic salesman who has lost all his mystique. It makes me want to weep with despair.
Kevin Cook
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Kevin Cook
Apologies, I didn't mean Luke is chubby in a bad way, I think the camera is looking up at him and it is a bad angle. When he films Luke Jermay Presents The Cups And Balls he should ask to be filmed from a higher angle by a taller cameraman. Or he should perform whilst kneeling.
The Mental Lentil
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of The Mental Lentil
I retract my earlier statement and apologise if I caused any offence to Jermay fanboys. Luke Jermay is NOT fat.

His chest has just slipped a bit.
Dhal is murder
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1924 Posts

Profile of ted french
Luke is really good and young. How many can you say that about?
P3
practice practice perform.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I'm neither one of those, so that leaves me out.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
Quote:
On 2007-05-31 13:00, ted french wrote:
Luke is really good and young. How many can you say that about?

Am I the only one who finds this statement sort of strange???
To believe is Magic.
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Nope, I'm with you too, harishjose.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Has anyone seen "Koran Medallion with Luke Jermay" (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL