The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Has anyone seen "Koran Medallion with Luke Jermay" (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
Well hello there everyone.

My name is Luke Jermay. I am a mentalist from the originally from the UK now living in the US. A few of you might know me.

A long time ago I left these boards. I was promoted to do so then because of people attacking my first book 7 Deceptions. I left because I felt that my voice was lost in the mix of the attacks. My defence was not heard nor wanted. Since that time it is nice to have seen people change their minds about the material in that book. Most thru seeing me performer it live.

I have come back to the board simply to say the following few things.

The first is that my reason for working with penguin is simple:

I was given a lot of great advice when I began magic. I don’t think the kids of today are getting good advice on material from most magic dealers they are attracted too.

My hope is that by being involved I might be able to help steer some of the new comers in the right direction. After all I didn’t listen to the sex pistols and the clash before I listened to popular bands of my generation – once you get bitten by a bug to learn more about a subject you are more likely to seek out older and less “glossy” sources. I too dislike extreme and gritty "street magic".

The Koran Medallion:

I intentionally left out the engraved subtly in the demo! My reason for this is simple. The subtly is in use by many top pros. If someone who has seen your show watches the demo they will still think what you did in your show was way stronger and it can’t have been the trick they just watched.

The subtly is covered in the teaching by keeping it away from the demo I hoped to ensure it wasn't out there as being a "magic" trick and possible affect the impact you might get from performing it.

I was actually trying to help out magicians and mentalists here by keeping back the real points from the demo, which is accessible to all and everyone.

The inductions DVD is aimed at advanced mentalists and not the “kids.” It will not help those who do not already have foundation knowledge about such things.

For those of you interested in what else is happening I am about to begin writing as the columnist in Genii magazine about mentalism. This material is my more recognised brand of mentalism and assumes a fair amount of knowledge. It also gives a good sense of the style I am performing now days.

Apart from that piece of news there is nothing major to report. I am still performing and creating mentalism and magic. I still love it and am sad that I have clearly disappointed a few people here on the café.

I hope my presence here to directly communicate might help.

I’m off to eat some burgers.... my goal is 5000000000 pounds. Sadly I dropped 5 pounds this week so my fattest mentalist in the world goal is falling behind.

I do not wish to insult anyones intelligence here however Just so everyone is aware:

THIS IS LUKE JERMAY. THERE IS NO OTHER PERSON POSTING ON THIS BOARD AS ME THAT IS ACTUALLY ME.

EVERYTHING I HAVE POSTED HERE IS COMING DIRECTLY FROM MY MOUTH. YOU ARE FREE TO EMAIL ME DIRECTLY AT LUKE_JERMAY@YAHOO.COM TO CHECK THIS.

Many Thanks,

L.
lostpoet
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of lostpoet
Alright Luke!
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
Im fine and dandy>

I find myself often in North Carolina. Might see you there one day.

L.
lostpoet
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of lostpoet
That sounds like a winner.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13150 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Luke:

Just curious, if you realize that this piece is used and valued by workers in our field, why did you do it, and us the disservice of offering it as a piece of Slum Magic?

Helping us, as you put it, would have not been offering it in the first place. The help you have given us is akin to running us over with a truck and excusing it by saying you didn't back over us afterwards. To me, it is a silly self-rationalization. (Never mind that the truck is not even yours.)

Additionally, saying you are helping the young in the field by SELLING them poor imitations of classic pieces and expecting any rational adult to accept that is insulting. Why don't you just tell it like it is? You picked something you could exploit and quickly bring to market under your name.

Tony Iacoviello
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1924 Posts

Profile of ted french
Lukes right we should all listen to the Clash. I know he did not say that but I listened to the London Calling album for the millionth time today and it is still blows me away. As a side point I think mentalist could learn a lot from how early punks rejected what was the norm in their chosen art and decided to break every rule in the book. We are way to safe in my oppinion. Thankfully we have thinkers like luke out there that look past whats printed in magic books and actually try to create. I do have to admit I think there are some classics that should be kept in our special part of the magic community, I mean can you imagine some kid going from a coins across routine into Korans Medallion it would be blasphmeous(sp?).
P3
practice practice perform.
bunnydoctor
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of bunnydoctor
So recently someone posted a video of korans medallion on another thread I watched it carefully and I was pretty amazed. I didn't understand the method at all. so one day, I had an email from penguinMagic and they were selling a download of "Koran Medallion with Luke Jermay" so I proceeded to take a gander at the demo. I didn't know what to expect but after I watched the demo, I figured out medallion. I don't know if I should thank luke... but... clearly, if you have watched the koran video and lukes demo, you can probably work out how its done.
stripping a masterpiece and selling it as your own is pretty distasteful.
bunny phd
Jordan Waller
View Profile
Special user
London
610 Posts

Profile of Jordan Waller
Ok whilst I personally dissagree with Jermay releasing the effect and agree that it was a very bad move there is realy no use in crying over spilt milk people. Yes the effect has been revealed and brought out into the public arena but this is only as a big a probalem as you make it. Surely such exposure should cause the real workers amongst us to keep on their toes a bit more and hone and develop there own performance to make them a milllion miles away from this release. The release of this effect despite admittedly being a bit of an inconvinence realy is not as a big an issue as you are all making out.

We live in a very insular world were everybody lives on the internet. Almost every effect that most performers do could probably be quite easilly bought in one shape or form, from an internet dealer if you know how to look. So don't sweat it people! Koran's medallion is just another addition to the batch. Hell, nowadays you can buy Invisible Decks and IT from joke/prank shops, there for any kid with pocket money and a social problem! Has this affected our performance of such classics?
No.

If performed correctly and with the right presentation Koran Medallion will still hit home hard in your acts regardless of Jermay's release.
One day I will write a book
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
So. It is nearly five in the morning Vegas time. I will respond to all in the proper manner as soon as I awake tomorrow (today) the real issue I find here is that your all going on about performing in the real world but clearly you do not understand what performing in the real world is.

I mean come on guys. Your !@#$%ing over the fact that I decided to alert a new generation to a classic.

Where you not booked to perform tonight? I can only imagine not. As you have ben on here all night.

This is not menat as an insult I just think that at times peopl ehere are basically gaurding material for their own sake.

There is no reason this shouldnt be knonw to new performers.

Also notice is says "with Luke Jermay" and not "by Luke Jermay" there is a big difference.

Very big.

Tony I will repond to you point by point in the morning.

Sleep well and be fresh and zesty for your high paid performances tomorrow morning as I know you are all doing.

By the way does anyone know a good accountant? I have a feeling most o you know a good nine to five guy around here?

Love and eternal kisses,

L.
jasons_mind
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of jasons_mind
I wish I had something more intelligent to say, but I agree with Tony completely. Professional Presentations is a readily available volume and is often recommended in all of the "What book?" threads. The book is well known, as is the legendary performer, Al Koran. There is no need to re-release an effect under such poor conditions, with the exception to make money. From the looks of feedback alone, it appears as though your teaching of Medallion is not making as much as Sam would have liked.
The Mental Lentil
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of The Mental Lentil
Luke, is that you?
Dhal is murder
bear trees
View Profile
Loyal user
uk
263 Posts

Profile of bear trees
I do believe he was calling everyone here armchair mentalists.How condesending was that.I think mr Jermay needs to "GET OVER" himself.
The Mental Lentil
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Condescending it may be, it doesn't make it any less true.
Dhal is murder
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13150 Posts

Nor does it make it any less false.
The Mental Lentil
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

I'll let your post count speak for itself.
Dhal is murder
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
Quote:
On 2007-05-18 07:58, Ramsay wrote:
This is not menat as an insult I just think that at times peopl ehere are basically gaurding material for their own sake.

It is Luke.

Those who have his books knows...
To believe is Magic.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13150 Posts

Lentil, I'll let my work history speak for itself.

Harish, Not nice. Funny, true, but not nice. Smile
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10576 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
2 Points to HJ - that is a good one!

Hi Luke! Again, I hope you are doing well, not that I ever have met you - but I was one of the zany's that appreciated your early work with 7 deceptions, Building Blocks, etc. as it was nice and fresh and IMHo really spoke of your creativity. I suppose what surprises me about the new releases you have been putting out is that it doesn't seem like the creative you from the past... knowing how great you are with psychological contexting and buffering... I would have thought you would really make those pieces shine in your own unique way. E.g. for example, Osterlind released his series of ETMMM - classics from PME etc... but you can tell he did it in a way that was pure Osterlind.

I think the real world performances for people will scarecly be effected by the releases - maybe more magicians who are glued to the screen watch tons of vids on youtube etc. will be... but I know the people I do M&M for it will scarce make a dent.

However, as bizarre as this seems, I honestly hope you aren't doing through something nasty that has effected you in some negative way. Basically, I know you are way better in magic and mentalism then many. I look forward to your columns in Genie and hope you will bring back your original fire to things...

P.S. Remote Castle slays
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2007-05-18 08:53, The Mental Lentil wrote:
Luke, is that you?

Lets make that the last one. The joke is old and played and Luke cleared all that up a few posts ago. You may not agree with what Luke is saying, but please give him the respect he deserves. If he says that "ramsay" is the only account he has on the Café how about we respect that until actual proof is provided otherwise. I honestly doubt he has the time or desire to post several thoughts under random names.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2007-05-18 10:03, The Mental Lentil wrote:
I'll let your post count speak for itself.

Lets hope you are not speaking to Tony on this one? You really don't have a clue do you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Has anyone seen "Koran Medallion with Luke Jermay" (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL