The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » I am a Scientist (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lukas
View Profile
Regular user
Plymouth, UK
169 Posts

Profile of Lukas
I'm thinking of putting together a routine where I'm dressed as a scientist and I start doing tricks that look like ordinary things from a laboratory.

I have come up with using Air borne and using a beaker used by scientists and also doing some cigar manipulations but with test tubes.

Any other effects that people know that look scientific. can you please help me.

Thanks, Lukas
Make the difficult look easy, and the easy beautiful.

President and Minutes Secretery of the Plymouth Magic Circle

www.topsecretmagic.co.uk
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
Lukas
Try here. http://www.bergchristian.com/SermonsInChemistry.htm I think you will like this.
You don't have to use the sermons.
ChrisG
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22871 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This is were a magic catalog will get your creativity flowing. Read thru the effects and find items that fit your them. Slush powder comes to mind.
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Hydrostatic glass/bottle/beaker, etc
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
Multiplying bubbles...

I like the cigar/test tube manipulation idea. D'lites also come to mind.

Hope you get a good routine together!
The Great Danton
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
xxxRoyxxx
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of xxxRoyxxx
Hey, you can use the test tubes but put some food-colored water to give it more visibility....
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
You can go the MAD SCIENTIST route..Howard
Lukas
View Profile
Regular user
Plymouth, UK
169 Posts

Profile of Lukas
I've thought of another trick that is found in every children's magic book.

Get a mug and pour water into it ,tip it towards you and the water has turned to ice.

During the routine I will have "I am a scientist" playing by Dandy Warhols. where can I get the multiplying bubbles from?

Thanks and keep the ideas coming, Lukas
Make the difficult look easy, and the easy beautiful.

President and Minutes Secretery of the Plymouth Magic Circle

www.topsecretmagic.co.uk
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
You can get the multiplying soap bubbles Here, or from Vernet, although they are out of stock right now directly from Vernet. There are a few places you can find them, but this one has the best deal I've found so far.

Hope this helps,
Danton
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
If you're doing a scientist routine, then do effects that relate to science in some way. Test tubes appearing and vanishing might seem like a good idea, but it's not what a scientist would do, and doesn't relate to science beyond the prop used. (Unless you're doing an act of a magician in a lab, but that could far too easily be too confusing a plot for the audience to follow).

I'd suggest checking "Magic and Showmanship" by Nelms, there's some wonderful ideas for that routine in there. It'll guide you through so much that you'll need. Also in "Conjuring Anthology" from Steinmeyer there's some good bits with presentations you could use for a quick start.

I think the best route to go is as a mad scientist who's got his crackpot inventions to demonstrate (in salesman type way) to the public. Make sure you get the look and character right.

Classic ideas on effects range from time travel/effects, to transportation, to speeding up natural processes. To make it modern you can play with GM themes, stem cell, cloning, or electricity, recycling, or other "green" presentations. The tricks you can do to illustrate your points are many... once you decide what you'd like to try and duplicate.

Science themes tend to be quite prop heavy, due to the theme, it'll be hard to credibly make it a manipulative act.

Best of Luck,
Paul
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Here is a brainstroming technique I use when doing my art and graphic design work. It is a way to instantly generate ideas and brainstorm two or more completely different topics or ideas and merge them together. It works wonders to get the creative juices flowing cause it forces you to stay focused in your thinking.

Say you want to come up with a magic act themed around art. If this is the case, here is what you do. You get out a piece of paper and on the left side at the top you write the word ART and on the right side of paper you write the word MAGIC.

You start with the art word and under it you write down every single word you can think of that relates to the word art. For example you may have, paint brush, colors, paint, easle, frame etc.

You do the same for the word magic. This case you may have the words, magic, vanish, transpose, grow, shrink, levitate etc.

You only write down the words and are NOT writing down concepts or ideas. Just simple words that relate to the word at the top.

Once you have these two lists generated, the fun really begins. Now you start to cross-reference the words in the two lists. This cross-referencing allows you to start to come up with some interesting ideas easily and without much thought.

For example you take the word paintbrush from one column and you take the word vanish from the other and suddenly you have the idea of a vanishing paintbrush.

I think you will get the idea of how this works and where it can lead to. The idea that is key here is that you are training and forcing your brain to be creative. The problem with being creative is like anything, it takes practice. The more you practice doing it, the easier it is for you to think creatively.

Aother problem that happens with being creative is that the brain tends to wander too much. We lose focus because we are al over the place. If we have no diection, then we have no idea how to get where we want to go. This technique I mentioned forces your mind to stay focused by directing it through a series of steps it can handle. The creativity then starts to come out on its own.

It is a great method to use for any creative endeavor and works wonders for act and routines for magic. I use it all the time. Try it out and see if it works for you. Hope this helps.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » I am a Scientist (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL