The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Last illusion in show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
just_larry
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of just_larry
Yes, do something like the Table of death. But as I said before, do it as a vanish, too.
Example:
You go in a large box, handcuffed, blades hanging over head. You have one minute to escape. You secretly go into the Deceptive Steps, get backstage, and casually jaunt around (heck, even through; just put on a coat and hat) the Tent. The time is up, the blades fall, you are in the audience getting your applause.
I will find a YouTube video for you.
Larry
P.S. Again, what show are you on?
rushhour
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of rushhour
Hey, Larry, thank you for your message.

Next year I'm in the circus, but I can't say at this moment in which because it's top secret at this moment. And the director first wants to see the new show before contact. It's normally so, I think. Smile

Next month, I work again in a revue. Very small, but cool.....it's a nightclub with strip and so. And I'm the star attraction next month.

You think on a escape like Sita's? I must say that I'm a really big fan of the classical Table of Death. But I'll play also with your idea.....
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Profile of Silvio Solaris
The 'strongest' illusions in your repertoire should be positioned at the beginning and at the end.

Opener:

A more or less quick but astonishing appearance of yourself or assistant. (Example: DC's Elevator, Motorcycle Disappearance and Re-appearance, Shadow Box) I have never seen (OK, it happens once in a while) that a great illusionist just walks out. He either (should, in my opinion) appears (We are magicians, right?...) or rides on stage on a cool motorcycle that leads into the first illusion. Consider that the 'opener' credits and establishes you and your 'abilities' as an illusionist, and is (in my opinion) actually more important than the closer. Why? Because if you floor them right away in the beginning, they (audience) 'believe' your capability as magician for the rest of the show, kind of announcing: "Here I am folks. Iiiiit's magic tiiiiiime." (Don't need to say those words...but you get my point.) Smile

-Then...after a bunch of fillers...yaaawn...'just kidding'...hehe...

-A very impressive closer, or the most stunning illusion from your repertoire, at the end of your show. (Example: DC's Portal, '13') DON'T DO AN APPEARANCE. In my opinion, either a Metamorphosis or incredible disappearance...period. Ever noticed why DC almost always ends with a 'huge', stunning disappearance? That actually was one of the points that marked his career. He even named his company Disappearing, Inc.

Those illusions are the ones your audience will remember the most and talk about. OK...not quite...Copperfield did Flying right after the intermission, but people in the know, know why. Smile Unfortunately, it can't be done at the end (but perhaps as opener, like he did once...) and I think if he could do it as a closer, he would have done it. (Hey, David how about Chris Kenner or Homer performing some close-up while you get ready for the next? ....just an idea. Smile )

And...people still talk about his pencil through 100 dollar bill (Misled). It even amuses him until today how much impact his 'little in-between' tricks have had.

Best,

Silvio

Posted: May 22, 2007 5:35am
P.S. I only used DC's illusions as an example, but I'm not saying you should perform exactly those (his). Personally, I would never copy the works of others, especially working pros who came up with own ideas or hold the copyright.
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

'Is all that we see and seem but a dream within a dream?' E.A.Poe
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2007-05-15 17:27, amosmc wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-05-15 15:52, rushhour wrote:
It's not possible to do a very good Metamorphosis in the end of show......I think!

The Pendragons do a pretty good Metamorphosis at the end of their show. Smile

Just "pretty good"? Smile
Adam Milestone
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Adam Milestone
I was thinking of some sort of escape/vanish/reappearance too, but I really the Pole Levitation mentioned by Larry and believe it would go over great in your type of venue. A good levitation is hard to top, but I would definitely suggest looking at some of the escapes available.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Rushhour,
Guten Tag! Be prepared to do that Table of Death on solid ground or a super heavy-duty stage. The force of the fall will crush risers and can easily damage normal stages. John Hirakawa does Table of Death regularly in his show in Honolulu and could probably tell you more about this effect. It is very dangerous, even with a "triple safety" built in.

I adore this affect, but am seldom on a stage that would handle such a heavy illuson.
Autumn
PS: I have a magic studio in Bamberg, Germany. Deutschland is just lovely!
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I use the Chen Lee Water Suspension as my closer. I do not do it in the conventional way, but the effect is the same. It is small, but plays huge. It really looks impossible. Smile
wartnerchaney
View Profile
New user
NYC
21 Posts

Profile of wartnerchaney
Hey Rushhour - I vote for Table of Death. I love the effect and have placed it in several shows that I've produced. The only problem is that you can't do it surrounded. I have once used a version that had deceptive stairs (and an audience appearance) however I agree (in my humble opinion) that the classic presentation is best. It's a great closer and is always a sure thing.

Again speaking in my humble opinion, I think the Sub Trunk is waaaayyyy overdone!! They are cheap to build and the market is FLOODED with them. Every school group, scout troop, small assembly show audience, occasional birthday party, etc, etc has already seen it done a closer!
just_larry
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of just_larry
Hey guys remember he is in the middle of the circus ring ring!
EVERYTHING has to be done surrounded!
So the traditional Table of Death can't be done it has to be something like it, with the stairs or something else.

Again RushHour, I like the escape from something dangerous with a surprise appearance in the audience. As a performer I always like to brake the third wall (Ring?) and I think the audiences like it also.
Don't forget to keep us informed on how it is going!

Just,
Larry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Last illusion in show (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL