The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » I want to learn bizarre magic... any good pointers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
billyboy1957
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of billyboy1957
If you look at a veve you will see that many houngans were widow's sons.

Ian
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Sheesh, Egregor, that's W I D O W' S son.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Quote:
On 2007-05-17 09:59, billyboy1957 wrote:
If you look at a veve you will see that many houngans were widow's sons.

Ian

IN-deed frater. but how did you know this secret??? Bawon stole his top hat and overcoat from a Lodge. Houngans use certain tokens, signs, grips etc. etc. the Ounfour (temple) like the G. Lodge, is designed after SOL-OM-ON's temple....

bless.

and touchee,Blackheart Bizarre magic IS a faith, if not my religion. and I disagree when you subject that most bizarre magick is but a pipe dream, never or rarely performed. I think youre stuck in the 60's and 70's when you charge bizzare magick thus, with authors like andruzzi, cameron etc. But do you not perform the magick you write? doth not our beloved Curator, Kotah, Fraughton, Hilford, Montier,Caleb, not to mentionm my humble self? in-deed, they, we do. so, I disagreee with the charge that muchof what is writ' is not performed. again, perhaps this was the case in the tomes of old, but simply not true with these master writers of today
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Can I just confirm that I have been paid for performing some of Keith Hart's effect.
Mind you, I've also been asked to leave a few times too...
And I thought christianity was all about forgiveness?
WWJD? A better trick, probably.
[
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3824 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On 2007-05-16 05:06, sleightofand wrote:
I would love to take the darker side of magic. has any one got good advice on books, dvds or effects that I could have a look at, thanks in advance
andy

billyboy1957
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of billyboy1957
Baba Gede,

As you know, there is contact between traditions amongst people who respect each other's workings, and gaps in knowledge can be filled in by seeing how another way handles this. Over the years I have been pleased to be invited to all sorts of strange rites; and a good friend trained in Obeah in Jamaica worked with me for a while quite a few years ago and likened me to the one in whose presence one must beware of whistling, because everyone I touched with my rattle was ridden at that point (unbeknownst to me because I was away with the fairies at the time - so to speak). Loki (the tricky one of colder climes) can be a dodgy entity.

Ian
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Frater:. I am most impressed; welcome to the Grand Lodge. I have a lot more info re: vodou and masonry we can share together, overtime.

until then, to the EAST!

Frater Gede
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
I think what Keith said has merit - a budding bizarrist is likely to read, early in his search for resources, the very material that he mentioned - the stuff that just isn't do-able and never was. A lot of that stuff found it's way into Compleat Invocation, for example. A good many of those effects were more fantasy and mental exercise than anything viable, so it's far to warn a newb about them; (although most would probably suspect this themselves, especially when the instructions call for distilling sulphuric acid and making your own flash poster board or something.)
Fortunately the newer generation of books are far more practical.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Exactly as I stated beloved. the tomes o' old are mis leading oft'times, but lo! the new generation hath sprung to re-fresh, re-new, re-birth, re-cycle the old....love!

indeed, he has merit, for he's a fellow Mage. Smile
egregor
View Profile
Veteran user
The other side of the veil.
340 Posts

Profile of egregor
Did you know that even asking a chemical company the price for nitric acid, and sulphuric acid for making flash paper gets you put on a watched list for homeland security. I just found out the hard way, and I couldn't be more serious.
My mom says I'm reprehensible, I think I'm perfectly hensible.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I'm sorry, who are you?
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
How odd.. and yet, when you have 20 or 30 strange, 6 ft long mounds of fresh earth in your back yard at any given time, no once hardly notices ..

I'd like to thank the local Geek Squad particularly for helping my babies to grow ..

:bat:
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
My thoughts for Sleightofand:

Bizarre is not an easy genre. If you are coming from a sleight of hand background (as it seems from your name), bizarre is completely different. In general, sleights are minimal and usually not the most difficult. Proper presentation is really tough. Often the magical principles are simple (like Buddha papers or a double lift). However, much effort is placed in obscuring the method and displacing audience interest to the story, NOT the method. This is an important distinction between "regular" magic and bizarre.

Not only do I never want to be caught doing a sleight, but I never want anyone to even suspect that I am able to do a sleight. But in fact, I resort to sleights, mechanicals, deviously misleading patter, and any other subterfuge that will achieve my goal.

Definitely, you want to develop your own style. You will want to shape and create your stories to fit your personality/character and background. This may take a while. Initially, you might more comfortable adhering more closely to your source material.

Finally, as a bizarrist, you will find that you really are not being chased. People will accept things in the context of a story that would be challenged if you were a regular magician. I have some interesting examples of this in my repertoire.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
P E R F E C T......thanx good Mage...
Katterfel22
View Profile
Regular user
Greenville, NC
130 Posts

Profile of Katterfel22
Sleightofhand, instead of looking for books that are strictly "bizarre magic", you might first want to look to more common magical books you already own.
The tarbell series, Sach's Sleight of Hand, and Henning Nelm's Magic and Showmanship
all have effects that can be used in the bizarre field of magic.
I would suggest that you start with magic books you already have, read through these forums (it is an excellent place to get a feel for what a bizarre routine should look like) and perform some effects using that information. See how it fits.
Then, if you still love the idea of performing as a bizarrist, go and make the investment in the more specialized bizarrist material.
Hope this helps.
Cave ab homine unius libri - Latin epigram
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
TRUTH!
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
I think it may be a good time to point out (just in case the stereotype rears it's ugly head) that Bizarre is not all about the props, either. Props are certainly a big part of the scene (usually, but not always), but the mere substitution of tarot cards for a normal bicycle deck doth not a bizarre effect make.
Same goes for skull caps and eyeballs for your cups'n'balls routine, although you'd probably get complimented on the props for aethetics' sake. Smile

I hestitate to even say that the "story" is the center of focus, as not all bizarre is necessarily story driven, although a great deal of it is.

I'd say instead that "context" is key. You're not "performing" or entertaining with a magic trick; but rather, you're displaying, experimenting with, or enlightening through the revelation of some relatively unknown facet of nature, previously well hidden under some unswept corner of the carpet of existence.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1904 Posts

Profile of chmara
Sorry for typo - it is hard typing while hanging from the ceiling.

Here's the thing in Bizarre. To me, there is nothing more real world bizarre then a guy walking out on a stage in Tails and pulling a dove from his (fill in the blank) then making a cane that no one would use today fly around his head or body. People today MIGHT respond to a flying walker better.....

All bizarre is not dark -- although in our society an element of danger or foreboding does draw attention as part of the drama. But, I do not consider Hippity Hop Vampires and the same vein as I might a living and dead test with a dark story.

One question I feel we must ask is what do WE as artists fear in real life -- aging, death, being alone, afraid of the dark, sudden noises or drops, isolation, or maybe just thought and quiet footsteps behind us on a dark street when we know the next block has no lights.

Tying those feelings together with routines and props into our own story -- a mini-drama or play -- with all the hallmarks of theater in each routine or presentation is the true work. And it ain't easy. For instance -- the Mummy in my generations was a horror movie -- but in this generations the Brandon Frasier movies were special effects thrillers that were mostly funny-horror. How do we use an Egyptian setting if we wish to overcome in a younger audiences' mind those laugh moments in those newer movies?

I believe that Christian has found one major character who can work in our area in the broadest sense -- that of "Curator." Wizards come and Wizards go, but curators collect (and display) their remains.

So, for me the eccentricities of character come before effects, just as rehearsal comes before performance.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Strongly agree with the above. Also, we must consider the zeitgeist. Fears these days are often more concrete in concept, but still as unlikely and nebulous as, say, demonic possession, for example. EG terrorism, biological disaster, super-flu etc.
Fear may also be approached from a psychological point of view or an exploration of our primitive minds, with the magician appearing as experimenter/anthropologist (indeed this is my own character/silent scripting).
As a final example, one of my favourite performances is gaucci's Boddy Language, tied up in a tale about the Hassassin going after a liberal Muslim Sultan (based on fact) and combinming it with the modern study of Body language and defence security ( kind of fact based), ending with the origin of the term 'Black-balling' (complete tosh!).
Compare this to the exact same effect presented completely differently by Borodin.
The end result should be engagement with an intelligent audience above all.
Just my tuppence worth!
[
billyboy1957
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of billyboy1957
I am beginning to realise that, if the collected wisdom from many of the postings here (particularly this one at the moment), were gathered together, a king's ransom would be the outcome.

Ian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » I want to learn bizarre magic... any good pointers (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL