The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Our mentalist colleagues. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
Dave I absolutely agree. Sorry I wasn't more clear. If you read the next sentence along from that quotation, you'll see I share the view. Whatever I do artistically, performing, writing, or making, and in whatever field, I do it solely to COMMUNICATE with other people. These 'other people', usually an audience, are absolutely central to that goal. Certainly it can be a compromise at times, between my personal vision, and what the audience wants and understands. Art was ever so. But yes, if our trees are falling in empty forests, then they'll make no sounds.

Dave you visit some interesting places on your 'rambles'. Smile

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Rick, Caleb, don't we have enough barriers? I have done this a million times before. Where does magic end and mentalism begin. Is mentalism, magic? I tell scarey stories and excorcise demons (Watch out richard simons). After a hew years of serious trying to figure out what I am in magic, I have come to this: Who cares! I'm a sort of magician to quote Derren Brown.

I have to say those who claim to be for real, are complete and utter wastes to our trade. We should appear to be for real, but the mystery and "Magic" is knowing that you are being amazed through natural means.

Thanks Guys!
Andrewdavidson12
View Profile
Loyal user
England
231 Posts

Profile of Andrewdavidson12
The standard of discussion in this thread (and this forum generally) has been amazing - thanks particularly to Rick and Caleb.

Increasingly I find that I'm getting inspiration from music. My view is that the most interesting and refreshing music is that which evolves from many sources and is hardly ever easy to categorise. The best magic is, in my opinion, the same. My personal inspirations in magic are those performers who are able to take from many sources and create something new.

Once you start thinking of your performances in terms of a "bizarre" performance or a "mentalism" performance perhaps you are moving away from your essence as a performer which is to express yourself through your art.

There are always those who like to put us into boxes and sometimes, to market ourselves, we have to help with the process but I'm trying hard to remember that the boxes aren't really what I am about.

Not sure if anyone understands what I'm banging on about...

A
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2985 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
To chime in with Rick and Caleb, here's a related analogy that popped into my head inbidden this morning:

In the world of film, there are people who specialize in making the impossible real. They are magicians of a very special kind who are members of an army called the Special Effects Department.

Magicians have had a love affair with this discipline since the beginning of motion pictures. It was a French magician who made the landmark film "The First Men In The Moon," George Melies, and his creations were notable for the illusions he could produce with this new technology.

Miniatures, matte paintings, stop-action animation -- these were the stuff of dreams made real. But the Special Effects men knew: no audience just wanted to see a giant ape swipe at bi-planes, as interesting to other technicians as that may be; to truly entertain an audience, that effect needed to be couched in a story that entertained.

Think of the number of films you have seen that have had excellent special effects, but have fallen flat for lack of an emotional hook or story.

All too often, magicians forget that much of what we produce falls into the realm of the Special Effects Department. Without emotional hooks and good stories to tell, even our most showy illusions fail to entertain.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
Neil and Andrew draw two different, but equally powerful and apposite analogies. I think their ideas are both robust enough tol bear some pretty heavy analysis.

As for the name 'Bizarre', I think that it serves primarily as a sort of shorthand for our ATTITUDE as performers. It should not define or confine us. Dr Zodiac, I hope and believe that we're in general agreement. Bottom line is we are performance artists. Entertainers.

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Our mentalist colleagues. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL