The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The coin routine that fried you the most? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Can you think back and remember if there was one single coin routine that sticks out in your mind that completely fried you so bad that left you clueless?

There are two that stand out in my mind:

Right as I got started in coin magic, watching someone do the coin in the bottle killed me. I still feel it is one of the strongest things you can do with a coin for a lay audience. If you are at a place where a bottle is borrowed, and you borrow a quarter. It seems so impromtu, and is so impossible.

After I had been doing coin magic for years, I would say the next thing was seeing Bob Fitch make coins dissappear right in front of my face - I mean really dissappear, I had no clue what he was doing and left with no answers.

How about you guys?

Dan
Click to visit:
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
The hands-down all-time life-changing moment in coin magic for me (and I'm not alone) was seeing Albert Goshman's coin act, and not just the first time. I was lucky enough to run into him three or four times over the years, and he was always performing, and always entertaining. I can't think of a better combination of high-impact coin magic and fun.

As for a moment of pure disbelief, just flat out being fooled, I'd also have to mention the first time I met Jonathan Townsend. I was at one of those plateaus in magic, where I thought I knew everything, and nothing could fool me anymore. I walked into Tannen's magic, planning on impressing anyone I met, particularly with coins. I met this quiet (but intense) guy fiddling with a half dollar, and we got to talking. Then I shut up, because this guy could actually make coins disappear. And then more came back. It was very unsettling to see someone do the same moves I knew, but when he did it, the coins were actually gone. We had clearly been working on the same problems, but he was miles ahead.

It's nice to have a kick in the pants like that, every time we feel like it just can't happen anymore. Thanks, JT.

And, third, well before that, the first time someone showed me a retention pass. I could not believe that it was possible to fool the eye so perfectly. Amazing.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4159 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Hi Dan,
I remember back in the mid 70's, I went to the old Governor's Caféteria (the Saturday magician hangout) in New York, to watch a young coin magician by the name of David Roth. He did a stand up coins across using the deep back clip to get two ahead, and it literally blew me away. Remember, back then all of his stuff was unpublished and known only to a select few. To this day, no other coin trick ever made me feel like that - so inadequate, yet so awed (It was light years ahead of the stuff I was doing). I also have fond memories of being fooled by Goshman's saltshaker routine, and the first time I saw spellbound by John Mendoza at a lecture. - Michael Rubinstein
AT LAST - a NEW fun coins across!! MIGRATE is filled with laughs, magic, cool moves, lasts over 3 minutes, uses props, comes in a Poker Chip version or special Deluxe version with coins, and is about...BEARS!
https://youtu.be/gGjMtW1DLjA

Send inquiries to rubinsteindvm@aol.com

Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
Ronnie Ramin
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Ronnie Ramin
I think the coin routine that blew me away in a bad way was seeing Kenner do the Shadow coins back in the early 90's (around the last time we were at war with Iraq) He nailed me bad, I had no clue. There was a lot of good magic at that convention (Ohio).
Ronnie Ramin
JasonDean
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of JasonDean
I saw Andrew Goldenhersch do Translocation and it totally fried me.That's where my love for the "Shadow Coins" started.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4159 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Curtis, reading your post brings to mind the reason I went to see Roth in the first place (see my earlier post). When I was young and foolish, I remember walking into Tannens with my chest puffed out, thinking I knew all there was to know about coins. I bragged a bit, and was asked to show something. I did, and might I add, did a lousy job! The man behind the counter, Bob Elliott, told me about Roth, and where to find him. After I saw David, my ego shrunk down below normal. To top it off, I went back to Tannens a few days later, and overheard Bob talking to Lou Lancaster about this crazy kid (me)who came in a few days before and thought he knew something about coin magic! I think I crawled out the door. Bob and I have been friends now for years, and we laugh when I tell him about my first real lesson in humility. - Michael Rubinstein
AT LAST - a NEW fun coins across!! MIGRATE is filled with laughs, magic, cool moves, lasts over 3 minutes, uses props, comes in a Poker Chip version or special Deluxe version with coins, and is about...BEARS!
https://youtu.be/gGjMtW1DLjA

Send inquiries to rubinsteindvm@aol.com

Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
Before I became seriously involved in coin magic I've been going to the Magic Castle (through members' invitations). There was a British-African coin magician in the House of Prestidigation (Vernon Room) who did a few routines at chest levels (flurries, coins accross using 4 British Pennies; dollar coins and jumbo coins. All he did were coin routines.). I never did remember what his name was and when I asked members, they remembered the magician but not his name (figures because 90% of their tricks presented at the Castle were card tricks, 9% others (rope, cups & balls, sponge balls, TT's, silk, etc.) and only 1% coins (and they usually do a table coins accross). Immediately after that I bought Bobo's "The New Modern Coin Magic" & a Scotch & Soda set (which I haven't used in a long long time). My first video was Ammar's "Intro" and my first DVD was the "Doc's" Knockout Coin Magic (got a manuscript too). All these guys just blew me away. I still am today (just learn something new everyday). Curtis K, Dan W, Reed M, Kainoa H, Troy Hooser, Jonathan T, Chris K and all coin magicians still dazzle and inspire me everyday (I always carry 3 coin pouches with me every single day). I'm looking forward to going to my first magical convention (although I'm only interested in coin magic more seriously than others)--actually to the 1st Close-Up convention.

Again, thanks for the inspiration guys.

Tony
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
Good book Tony...bobos...could it in fact be the coin equivelant of Expert at the Card Table...

My first slack jaw was seeing Michael Vincent perform Shadow Matrix...I think that's what it is anyway.

Re Bobos...constantly perform Tenkai Pennies

Vernon
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
Cardwise there are Roberto Giobbi's "Card College" volumes 1 - 4. I started with Hugard & Braue's "Royal Road to Card Magic", Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, Vernon books, even Troy Hooser. However, Bobo's coin magic book has excellent materials. David Roth's book has a lot of illustrations.
sanskara
View Profile
New user
Austin, TX
59 Posts

Profile of sanskara
Al Schneider's One Half Gone fooled me badly. I understood most aspects of the routine upon first seeing it. But for the life of me, I just couldn't figure out how he "stole" that fifty cent piece from between the four copper English Pennies encased in the Okito box.

Once I discovered the answer, I could have kicked myself for all of the intricate explanations and versions of the trick I had invented in the interim. All to compensate for my lack of appreciaton of the old adage that "the simplest answer is often times the correct one."
Regards,
James Bostwick
shanla
View Profile
Loyal user
Japan, Tokyo
285 Posts

Profile of shanla
About ten years ago, Masashi Neofs gMy-sirfs Miracleh fooled me badly. It is a variation of Jerry Andrusf gMiserfs Miracleh. In my memory, he produced six half dollars and two one dollars. I believe this experience is one of resources of my interest in the coin magic.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
About 3(?) years ago I saw Dean Dill performing Explosion on Coinmagic 2000, though it was called "Now sit back and Enjoy". Extremely magical! I'd been dreaming about doing it for 2 years...
Then I met Dean in 2002 and he did the ***ed thing right under my nose in a hotel lobby. I spent the money I'd earned at performing in the Castle to buy it and it is the most beautiful thing I've learned.

On the other side of the spectrum, I remember seeing Paul Wilson doing his Spellbound routine, wondering what kind of weird gaff he was using. It looked so good...
My interest was really doubled when I discovered that it was ONLY sleight of hand. Never saw something done so convincing with 100% pure technique, no gaffs!

And then there was Armando Lucero, who looked like this "boy from the street" and fooled the hell out of some VERY knowledgable magicians. Unnerving to see someone who kept away from magicians to develope his own personal (and incredible) style. Where on earth is he???
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
CSStanton
View Profile
Loyal user
Suttons Bay, MI
228 Posts

Profile of CSStanton
Sylvesters Pitch. When I was in Colon this past summer, I witnessed a magician do the pitch and was baffeled. I squatted down to watch below his hands and I couldn't catch anything. ANYTHING! Then, I stood up and a beer bottle was in his hand. Out of no-where! Amazaing! I then purchased the video and am trying to get it down as good as him. Koodos Ron.
-Casey
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
Two routines that baffled me in the begining of my magic. They were both on a tv special called 'The Art of Magic.'

The first taste of Coin magic was watching David Williamson do chink-a-chink. It was gorgeous. His hands look like he never touches the mat, it was beautiful. The next routine was Jamy Ian Swiss, doing his one coin routine.

That MADE me want to do coin magic. It was excellent, and I still watch the routine and still can't see where the coin may be.

About five months later, I thought I was doing quite well, and considered myself a decent coin magician, (Damn that ego), well I went to a magicians meeting near where I live, and only one magician did coin magic, but he blew me away!

He performed Dean Dill's CallShot, and I was floored. After I watched it, I knew who I had to learn coin magic from, and that man, Alan Grose, has been the only 'teacher' in magic that I have.

The most current time I got floored was watching Palms of Steel 2, watching Curtis Kam perform Bejing Coins Across.

I couldn't believe he put it on tape.

Now I try get requests at the restaurant 'to make those silver coins change in the giant Pennies with holes in them.'

Thank you Curtis Kam, for making this routine. (Just can't say it enough)
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1140 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Ammar doing Shadow Coins - pure magic (I had no clue on the method). And Gary Kurtz doing his Jumbo Coin Flurry. This nailed me completely. I didn't even know it was possible to do something like that with jumbo coins.
Danny Archer
View Profile
V.I.P.
Philly
603 Posts

Profile of Danny Archer
Three effects/performers stick in my mind -

Watching Bob Fitch almost 20 years ago do ANYTHING with coins is still the number one on my list ...
Seeing John Kennedy do Translocation ...
Gary Kurts doing Flurious ...
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
I have seen the best in magic over the last 45 years & have been blown away with the beauty & clarity of many routines. But I still remember how I felt in the early 60s when I saw a magic pitchman at Macy's in NYC. His name was Danny, he was not a magician. He was simply a pitchman & pitched magic. The tricks he did, he did better than most magicians. He had one trick with a small wooden board. He would put a quarter on the board, & put a shot glass over the coin to isolate it. My god when the quarter vanished & returned, it was a miracle. In the eyes of a young teenager, it pure magic. I still think of how I felt each time I saw it.

I understand that Danny was a big influence of many of the great magicians of today including David Copperfield.
afknight
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of afknight
I remember the first time I saw coins across performed I was devastated. The magician is Kevin Bethea and I've since learned that what he showed me was his handling of Chris Kenner's Three Fly routine. I have been urging him to put this into print or video but it certainly is a thing of beauty.
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
I remember the first time I saw Al Schneider's original "Matrix." It floored me.

Kurtz's "Flurious" also devastated me.

Roth's "Portable Hole"...just marvellous.

Dean Dill's version of Matrix is shocking in it's cleanliness. I was off balance the entire time.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5183 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
The first time I accidently stumbled into a magic shop and the guy did scotch & soda for me. I never thought I could be "that good with my hands to perform such a miracle" he convinced me otherwise and the rest as they say - is history.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The coin routine that fried you the most? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL