We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Oz Pearlman - Born To Perform (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
I've searched the forum for info on this DVD. Lotsa hits, but not too much usable info. Mostly people debating if it looks worth buying. It's been a while, so I thought maybe some more people have tried it and have a review of it? It sounds like a great starting tool. What's the word, guys?
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
When I first asked about card magic, I was told to get the book "Royal Road to Card Magic," which I did.

I see they now have a 4-DVD set:
http://www.magictricks.com/videos/dvds/dvdroyalroad.htm
tupawk
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of tupawk
I can second the recommendation of buying the Royal Road book. As for the DVD's I have the ones put out by L&L with Paul Wilson and they are excellent. From what I've heard about the other ones these are much better for just a bit more.

Sorry I am of no help with your original question about Born to Perform. Maybe someone else has seen it?
DanielSkahen
View Profile
New user
NY
63 Posts

Profile of DanielSkahen
Born to Perform is the roll of bread they give you while you wait for your meal. Tasty but unnecessary, and altogether unfulfilling. Royal Road is the entree.
- Dan Skahen
MDew
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
125 Posts

Profile of MDew
Quote:
On 2007-05-18 19:59, DanielSkahen wrote:
Born to Perform is the roll of bread they give you while you wait for your meal. Tasty but unnecessary, and altogether unfulfilling. Royal Road is the entree.

What would the main course and the dessert be?
pghdude80
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh
72 Posts

Profile of pghdude80
I hate to be redundant, but it bears repeating. The Royal Road is one of the best. If you take the time to work on and master what is contained in these lessons, you will be doing some excellent card work. I'm not saying that there are not other great resources out there, but this one has helped me more than any other.

J
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Its funny to watch but like said. Just a bread inbetween the meals.

I liked Gerry Griffin complete encyclopedia of card magic much.
Much usable material and lots to learn(except good pattern:D)
"He must be content to rank with the common herd." - S.W. Erdnase
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Born to Perform is descent DVD and has something for the begginner and someone
sleightly more than beginner. I think you can spend about a year or so mastering
this material depending on how fast you pick this stuff up, but that could just be me.

OZ starts off showing, by example, 3 or 4 routines ( I think its 4 but I havn't watched it in long time). He performs his routine and gives a detailed explanation of the what, how, and why of what he does. These effects are like "classics" that most card folks know. Add OZ's touch, and you have the sleight variations he teaches. Its good "comercial" grade magic, to me.

I think its good starting point with all the moves and flouishes he teaches and
some of the stuff will take time to get right and honed to the smoothness that you will need to perform it properly.

Its not an indepth study on the subject, but it is a descent starting point, but
that is just my opinion. It also depends on where you want to go with this stuff.

Say you got this DVD, and learned everything. You don't want to be a copy of OZ
from my perspective. You will want to learn a bit about performing and entertaining with cards...but again, this depends on where you want to go with this stuff.

One last point, I think this type of DVD was geared towards the popularity of
"street" magic at the time, but I don't think that cheapens what is taught in the DVD.
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
Thanks for all the input. Sounds like it might be worth getting at some point, but not initially, and certainly not before I have invested in RRTCM. Thanks!
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1273 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Hey Scot. Man, it's been a while since I've been on the Café. A lot of homework lateley...

I recomend BTP if you are new to the card magic world. It teaches four routines in tootal.
_Ambitious Card
-Biddle Trick
-Untimate Transpo
-Two Card Monte

He teaches you how to do a double lift, erdnase change, tent vanish, biddle count, classic pass, palming, elmsley count, and much more.
This was the very first card magic DVD I bought. I highly recommend it,however you could easily learn the things taught in this DVD, and much more from RRTCM.
I would advise getting that.
Scot, have a fun and fulfulling journey in card magic!
-Cory.
LCBellah
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of LCBellah
Scot, I think that everyone who wants to really learn card magic should have a copy of RRCM. It's a great book full of valuable information on handling cards and the price is very reasonable. I just ordered copies of Card College vols.1&2 and I'm looking forward to working thru those.

I also have a copy of the DVD-BTP. It's a good beginning card DVD. OZ teaches well and it's interesting watching him perform for people on the street. He starts with some fundamentals and works on up to flourishes. Some are very difficult, like the hot shot cut. He also includes the four routines that Cory mentioned.

For the price vs. value I would say that RRCM would be your best purchase.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
RRTCM is a great start. Pick it up and start practicing in front of a mirror - a video camera would even be better.

You will develop your own style and make your own discoveries. A DVD is a faster track, but you will be deprived of a valuable thinking and discovery process.

Andy
Cards never lie
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
As always, I recommend Card College Light before RRTCM. Giobbi's book teaches routines of self-working tricks. You'll learn how to perform before spending dozens of hours learning sleights. After you've determined whether the performance of magic is something you enjoy, you can move on to sleight of hand.

///ark
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
Quote:
On 2007-05-18 11:54, mitchb2 wrote:
When I first asked about card magic, I was told to get the book "Royal Road to Card Magic," which I did.

I see they now have a 4-DVD set:
http://www.magictricks.com/videos/dvds/dvdroyalroad.htm</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, I preferred R. Paul Wilson's RRTCM 5 DVD set - see http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.m......3Go8AX0Q.
Smile Tally-ho! And Tuscarora too! Smile
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
And, yes, Born to Perform is a decent video. Oz has a nice take on the impromptu, close-up audience for these (few) effects. But, as I understand, it's only like $29 - not a bad price for some relevant pointers and instruction.
Smile Tally-ho! And Tuscarora too! Smile
wardini
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of wardini
I quite like ‘Born to Perform’ but for a beginner R. Paul Wilson's RRTCM 5 DVD set is far, far more useful. I’ve not seen the other RRTCM DVD so can’t compare.

'Born to Perform' has a couple of good routines , one which I frequently use, and quite a few sleights, but as a structured learning tool RRTCM is streets ahead, with lots of useable material. It includes self working effects as well so you can build your performance confidence.
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
I have both the RRTCM DVD sets and I find them both valuable. I think Rudy Hunter gives more personal tips and is in general a better teacher. On the other hand, Paul Wilson covers much more of the material, especially the tricks. On the downside, his performances are dreadful.

///ark
wardini
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of wardini
Mark,

I'm interested to know why you think his performances are dreadful.

Regards,

Gareth
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
There are pointless pauses. He always uses the same goofy face when he's "secretly" looking at his cards. He sometimes betrays irritation when his audience doesn't respond to a trick, and there are lots of moments like that. I can imagine that the audience may be seeing a trick a number of times, but other magicians in other videos don't seem to have any trouble being entertaining. I don't even like the way he reveals the chosen card. But most of all, he just doesn't have any "spark." Maybe the Scots are just too dour to be good performers; I dunno.

I could probably come up with a lot more reasons, but I haven't looked at the video for a couple of months. And hey, if you think he's entertaining, more power to you both!

///ark
wardini
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of wardini
Mark,

I was interested in your thoughts from a learning perspective, there was no judgement meant or implied.

I wasn't particularly adverse to his performance but then again I don't have a tremendously upbeat style either.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Oz Pearlman - Born To Perform (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL