We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Oz Pearlman - Born To Perform (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Wardini,
the problem from learning from a DVD or Video is that there is always the danger of adopting the performance style as well. It requires a very strong and well developed performance character to resist the temptation.

Andy
Cards never lie
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
For a beginner, copying someone else's style isn't
a danger--it's the correct thing to do, in my
opinion. Someone big in magic (Burger? Ortiz?)
expressed this recently, but I'm darned if I can
remember who.

The point was that a beginner has no style of
his own to apply. Just like a painter copying a Renoir
painting or a rock guitarist learning a Hendrix
solo note for note, a beginning
magician does well to learn style from others, as well
as tricks.

After you've learned a master magician's style, you can
mold it and adapt it to yourself, just as you will mold
and adapt his tricks and sleights. But you can't do that
until you learn what good style is.

That, at least, was the thrust of this guy's comments. I'll
try to dig up who said it. It certainly runs counter to the
accepted wisdom. Most great thoughts do.

///ark

(Is anyone else having trouble with the wordwrapping here?
Lines don't wrap in either IE6 or FireFox 2. It's very
annoying to have to format a message like this just to
be able to read it.)
Doc Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena, CA
151 Posts

Profile of Doc Magic
With out a doubt I would say to start with Royal Road to Card Magic & the Card Collage series. Not only will you get a thorough course in card manipulation, but some great routines as well. I do own Pearlman's DVD as well, but his material along with many other great routines can be found in most complete course magic series such as Tarbell's Course in Magic (great series). I hope that helps.
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."- Aldous Huxley
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
I really liked Born to perform. When I was first starting out it helped alot. I learned about royal road after I got born to perform and I got it too. Both of them are a great resource for the beginner. I would also recommened card college light (I wish I would have found this when I started). When your ready to tackle something bigger the original 5 volume card college books are awesome.

Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
DanielSkahen
View Profile
New user
NY
63 Posts

Profile of DanielSkahen
Quote:
On 2007-05-19 01:57, MDew wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-05-18 19:59, DanielSkahen wrote:
Born to Perform is the roll of bread they give you while you wait for your meal. Tasty but unnecessary, and altogether unfulfilling. Royal Road is the entree.

What would the main course and the dessert be?

My personal choice for desert would be an Expert Card Technique Lava Cake with Braue sauce and Hugard ice cream. But to each his own.
- Dan Skahen
Ozer4
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
329 Posts

Profile of Ozer4
Hey,
I figured I'd chime in to answer your question. Royal Road to Card Magic and Expert Card Technique are a must. They are the books that got me started in card magic, as well as thousands before me. They are the classics and belong in your library if you are a student of card magic. For a more complete education, it's tough to beat Roberto Giobbi's Card College set. Born to Perform Card Magic is a compressed lesson on the fundamentals of card magic, as well as a number of routines utilizing the sleights, controls, forces, and flourishes you will learn on the DVD. It is not a substitute for any of the books listed above, but different people learn in different ways. You get to see live performances which are a great learning tool as well as confidence builder for beginners to help get you out there performing. Hope this helps!

Regards,
Oz
rjthomp
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena
192 Posts

Profile of rjthomp
Lots of people are suggesting royal road and expert card technique, which are not bad choices, but if you have a few extra bucks, the Card College series are a much better way to go. You can come up to speed must faster with this set than any other books, so if time is money, this path is actually cheaper in the long run... And they are perfectly suited for the serious beginner...
Doc Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena, CA
151 Posts

Profile of Doc Magic
I strongly agree with the above statement. Learning magic shouldn't be rushed, with that in mind; the five volume Card College series is a meticulous step-wise lesson plan in learning card magic. At the end of each chapter you are presented with one or two effects that employ the slights taught in that chapter. In my humble opinion, you will reference these books for the rest of your life.
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."- Aldous Huxley
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to answer this question. Special thanks to Oz for sounding off honestly about it. Sounds like a worthy investment, but perhaps not until I have a couple of other fundies in my library.
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
DanielSkahen
View Profile
New user
NY
63 Posts

Profile of DanielSkahen
I'll say this for my experience with Oz and his products: he's the real deal. He serves straight, honest, quality magic. And although I wouldn't recommend Born to Perform as the first stop for a beginner, I do recommend a lot of his work, particularly Emerge Triumphant and the recently released Blindsided.
- Dan Skahen
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1350 Posts

Profile of Piz
Born to Perform is an excellent DVD, I highly recommend it!! I constantly find myself going back to it. I own Royal Road, BTP, and Card college; and even though Born to Perform isn't as technical or does not have as much info as the others, it still has it's flourishes, false cuts/shuffles, and some routines that I find more to fit the style of magic more so then the others. Two of the main false shuffles I do I learned off of the Born to Perform DVD, 3 great routines I do at my gigs I learned off of this DVD!! I highly recommend it for what it's worth! $30, can't beat it (I honestly would have paid $50)!!

Paul
magician8
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of magician8
Born to perform is good, but only if you're a beginner or so, if not you can get other dvds already said above which will give you a better knowledge and understanding of card magic.

A.S.E
LauraCalder
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of LauraCalder
I like to think of learning card magic as a series of moments involving studying, performing, and basking in the success of those performances. Those successes give you the momentum to go deeper into the craft. However, I started with Royal Road to Card Magic but initially that alone didn't give me effects exciting enough to feel confident performing in front of people, so I bought some DVDs and Born to Perform was one of them. Although it didn't have the detail or prestige of a book like RRTCM it gave me a few powerful tricks that I showed a few people which really enthused me to pursue the art further. Now, after a few volumes of Card College, I'm an above average cardician.

So, essentially, if you're looking for a great learning 'buzz', I'd definitely recommend Born to Perform - but, as others have said, it won't provide the solid bedrock of RRTCM or Giobbi's Card College.

Laura
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
Quote:
Born to perform is good, but only if you're a beginner or so, if not you can get other dvds already said above which will give you a better knowledge and understanding of card magic.

This IS, after all, the "New to Magic?" forum.....
Smile Tally-ho! And Tuscarora too! Smile
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
Again - good (some may even say GREAT) stuff - esPECIALLY for a beginner. If you're wanting some real world tips and simple, straightforward instruction - Oz is a good teacher.

As magicians, everyone has an opinion on what it takes to "be a magician;" however, it is not necessary to be a master magician and need to master every sleight or trick or pass, etc. (including covering everything in RRTCM or Card College) to be a good magician. Yes, I know I'm opening myself up here, but this is a beginners forum, and a beginner asked if it was a good DVD. For the most part, a simple "yes" or "no" would suffice.
Smile Tally-ho! And Tuscarora too! Smile
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
I owe a lot to that DVD and to Oz Pearlman. It brought me into card magic. Thanks Oz.

I wish there were an equivalent for coins.

José.
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
john_herm
View Profile
New user
NJ
69 Posts

Profile of john_herm
Quote:
On 2007-06-26 23:54, elgranmago wrote:
I owe a lot to that DVD and to Oz Pearlman. It brought me into card magic. Thanks Oz.

I wish there were an equivalent for coins.

José.

Now, Penguin has "In the Beginning There Were Coins," by Jay Noblezada. I heard it was excellent, but you still can't beat Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. Smile
jmuscold
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of jmuscold
I think born to perform is a great dvd if you want to learn just what is needed to do some great tricks.

I think it would motivate a new person, where as the royal road is a much longer journey to get some results.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Oz Pearlman - Born To Perform (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL